Asian Culture Discussion Thread

our mandarin is much nicer sounding
smile.gif

laugh.gif
Are you talking about HK mandarin being better sounding than Taiwan mandarin??? 

I don't even...

Nice. You hold dual citizenship?

You gotta do military service?
Yea man, and only if I intend to live in Taiwan I have to. I'd never live there though so it's always cool for a holiday. NT Taiwan Summit ?? :nerd:

Ah fsho. Recently I've been going like once a year, past three years during winter break. I think going during the summer is most fun but the weather :x

Nah it's not genetics, it's culture. Taiwan has similar beauty standards as the US so the way Taiwanese girls apply make up and dress makes them more attractive.

Mainlanders are obsessed with looking as white/pale as possible which is gross to me.

Nah it's not genetics, it's culture. Taiwan has similar beauty standards as the US so the way Taiwanese girls apply make up and dress makes them more attractive.

Mainlanders are obsessed with looking as white/pale as possible which is gross to me.

Bringing the fax.

I need some Taiwanese yambs. :nerd:

only been to hk a handful of times, would travel to mainland china twice a year, and though I haven't been to Taiwan I have worked with quite a few taiwanese both men & women...can't say either way culture vs. genetics, but I do think beauty standards are really different mainland china vs. hk vs. taiwan...somewhat as an aside, I would add that in my experience taiwanese generally seem to have a bad opinion of mainland china/chinese, by appearance alone I could not really differentiate and would be subject to some (playful) indignation if i mistook a taiwanese person for chinese; but in conversation it was a bit easier because taiwanese generally spoke much better english.

Ah fsho. Recently I've been going like once a year, past three years during winter break. I think going during the summer is most fun but the weather
sick.gif
Summer in Taiwan is brutal. Hit me up if you're going in Winter, I'm planning to go back this year. #NTaiwan

im moving to shanghai in august. i loved HK and taipei but excited that the distance to japan and korea are relatively short flights. the consensus about beijing is all the same with everyone i talk to that has lived and worked there. the smog and haze is just too much to bare.

im moving to shanghai in august. i loved HK and taipei but excited that the distance to japan and korea are relatively short flights. the consensus about beijing is all the same with everyone i talk to that has lived and worked there. the smog and haze is just too much to bare.
Shanghai isn't much better bro

Has anyone here had issues with their identity like they felt they weren't American enough and/or not Asian enough? Like you're stuck in the middle. How did you overcome it or find a way to accept it?
I'm guessing this question is more for those who were born/raised in America, but I guess it does affect immigrants as well. And when I say Asian, I'm referring to whatever E or SE Asian country you or your family is from.

Just wanted to hear some thoughts on the topic. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom