Are HID's worth the money?

Originally Posted by Lemonade41

IMO 6-8k is the right temp, cats running around here with 15k+ with purple lights that dont have ANY output

This. I say run 4K-6K @ 35 watt or 55 watt.  If you're pretty good with following DIY directions and if you already own the tools, I say install them yourself.  That way you know that you are getting quality work done and installed the way you want it to.  Installing the ballast is not really that hard.  I've done a few cars and it only took me about 40 minutes on my first attemp.  

There are plenty of websites that sells ballast online and if you live in a big city, you can most likely find them locally cheaper.  I use DDM tuning in San Diego and bought my kits for $45. 

IMO 6-8k is the right temp, cats running around here with 15k+ with purple lights that dont have ANY output

More like 4300k-6000k my dude, any higher and you're going to produce the rainbow.

OP plain and simple. Retrofit or bust! Have some courtesy for other drivers! You're not the only one on the road.

More like 4300k-6000k my dude, any higher and you're going to produce the rainbow.

OP plain and simple. Retrofit or bust! Have some courtesy for other drivers! You're not the only one on the road.

anything above 6k is just downright obnoxious IMO
here are mine (6k/white)

a76b2f5a58984e3c9bfefbf122af51c9_7.jpg

anything above 6k is just downright obnoxious IMO
here are mine (6k/white)

a76b2f5a58984e3c9bfefbf122af51c9_7.jpg

Originally Posted by Kingtre

Originally Posted by 2LipsLegit

If you cant do it right, you shouldnt do it at all IMO. So projectors or bust really.

this

and please go to a professional who is capable of lining them up properly...hate when someone drives up behind or head on with purple/blue/yellow lights pointing right at my eyes
mad.gif

Originally Posted by Kingtre

Originally Posted by 2LipsLegit

If you cant do it right, you shouldnt do it at all IMO. So projectors or bust really.

this

and please go to a professional who is capable of lining them up properly...hate when someone drives up behind or head on with purple/blue/yellow lights pointing right at my eyes
mad.gif

hate when ppl put kits on old toyotas n hondas that dont have projectors

hate when ppl put kits on old toyotas n hondas that dont have projectors

Originally Posted by i just got lucky

This. I say run 4K-6K @ 35 watt or 55 watt.  If you're pretty good with following DIY directions and if you already own the tools, I say install them yourself.  That way you know that you are getting quality work done and installed the way you want it to.  Installing the ballast is not really that hard.  I've done a few cars and it only took me about 40 minutes on my first attemp.  

There are plenty of websites that sells ballast online and if you live in a big city, you can most likely find them locally cheaper.  I use DDM tuning in San Diego and bought my kits for $45. 

came in here to say this exactly.

i have 6k / 35watt in my F-150 for both my head lights and fog lights. i have 4 other friends who run them and i just bought some for my dad's truck for fathers day. took me about an hour to do mine and about 20 min to do my dad's.
the bulbs are literally plug in and done. as long as you don't get a high/low version from DDM its just plug them in and your done. the longest portion of the install is deciding how you are going to mount the ballasts. if your slightly mechanically inclined you will be fine. i used zip-ties to mount my ballasts. not sure how other cats do it. but i used my own zip-ties, not the ones provided.

if you are nervous about installing them, $90 installed isn't terrible. but i have a feeling you would miss out on the perks of buying them yourself.
for instance, getting them from DDM ( http://www.ddmtuning.com/...-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W ) they have a life time guarantee on the ballast and the replacement bulbs are only like $12 or something like that. i got a bad ballast and traded mine in for a new one. no questions asked. they tested it and handed me a new one. the good thing about the cheap bulbs is, if you don't like the color you got (5k, 6k, 8k.....etc) you can just buy new bulbs for very cheap. even super white bulbs for a stock set up are $25-$80 a set.

Originally Posted by i just got lucky

came in here to say this exactly.

i have 6k / 35watt in my F-150 for both my head lights and fog lights. i have 4 other friends who run them and i just bought some for my dad's truck for fathers day. took me about an hour to do mine and about 20 min to do my dad's.
the bulbs are literally plug in and done. as long as you don't get a high/low version from DDM its just plug them in and your done. the longest portion of the install is deciding how you are going to mount the ballasts. if your slightly mechanically inclined you will be fine. i used zip-ties to mount my ballasts. not sure how other cats do it. but i used my own zip-ties, not the ones provided.

if you are nervous about installing them, $90 installed isn't terrible. but i have a feeling you would miss out on the perks of buying them yourself.
for instance, getting them from DDM ( http://www.ddmtuning.com/...-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W ) they have a life time guarantee on the ballast and the replacement bulbs are only like $12 or something like that. i got a bad ballast and traded mine in for a new one. no questions asked. they tested it and handed me a new one. the good thing about the cheap bulbs is, if you don't like the color you got (5k, 6k, 8k.....etc) you can just buy new bulbs for very cheap. even super white bulbs for a stock set up are $25-$80 a set.

4300-6000k is where it is at. 4300 is pure white, 6000 has a hint of blue.
I think around 3000k has a yellowish hue to it [good for foglights].

If you don't have projectors, don't do it. It will look bad.

What type of car are you rolling in [to figure out if you have projectors]?

Oh, and they are worth it. I have some in my B5 and they are really clear. However, I have a different cut-off in my projector due to my E-Codes.

4300-6000k is where it is at. 4300 is pure white, 6000 has a hint of blue.
I think around 3000k has a yellowish hue to it [good for foglights].

If you don't have projectors, don't do it. It will look bad.

What type of car are you rolling in [to figure out if you have projectors]?

Oh, and they are worth it. I have some in my B5 and they are really clear. However, I have a different cut-off in my projector due to my E-Codes.

Originally Posted by fresh2deff

So what do you guys think will give me a bright white with a little hint of blue? 6k?

6000k will probably be good.
If you have projectors with a good cut-off, then you can get blue at the cut-off with 4300K.

Originally Posted by fresh2deff

So what do you guys think will give me a bright white with a little hint of blue? 6k?

6000k will probably be good.
If you have projectors with a good cut-off, then you can get blue at the cut-off with 4300K.

Back
Top Bottom