Archer Appreciation .... vol. Black Turtleneck Swag .....

I been wantin to catch it after seein some previews. Got that Sea Lab 2021 mixed w/ Harvey Birdman vibe to it

Good episode last night.  A little disappointed that I heard like 3 or 4 of the jokes/clips already from numerous previews from the past month.  But Pam's nickel line still gets me.  Ugh, is it Thursday yet?

Great episode.. besides having great characters, the writing is so sharp and the playing with words is always a lot of fun. The repeated emphasis on 'literally, figuratively, and theoretically' was a nice touch.
The show's small recurring jokes, like Archer's irrational fear of crocodiles, Lana's giant hands (which Cyril called Yeti hands
laugh.gif
).. and I love Krieger using the other employees as test subjects and he had to hunt down Pam.

Favorite moments was Archer looking for Predator and him being right about the tiger.. then how sad he was when it got shot
laugh.gif

Last night's might be my new favorite.
Not only do we get the return of the ocelot but Archer got to fight on top of a train
laugh.gif
If Krieger was in the episode, it might have been perfect.

tumblr_lyt3r6Il0P1qzgwdko1_500.gif
tumblr_lyt3r6Il0P1qzgwdko2_500.gif

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Not only do we get the return of the ocelot but Archer got to fight on top of a train
laugh.gif

tumblr_lyt3r6Il0P1qzgwdko1_500.gif
tumblr_lyt3r6Il0P1qzgwdko2_500.gif
I agree

The best part of the train sequence was the bad guy explaining all of the problems about fighting on top of a train
laugh.gif

When Archer saved Babou from falling off the train I absolutely lost it

tumblr_lyuo36BEMi1qh3bh2o1_500.jpg

Originally Posted by Big J 33

laugh.gif

"It's the piss cat! Put it down, boys!"

roll.gif

The last episode was by far the best of this season, one of the top ever.

I might be one of the few that thought that the last episode was the worst of the first 3 this season.  With that said it was still very good, but I liked the first 2 more (especially the Burt episode)  But it did call back to my favorite episode with Babou 

I honestly think I liked this more than skytanic (which was my favorite episode). Mallory and George
roll.gif

Also the for the Canadians, the trailer park boys voiced the RCMP and Bilko
laugh.gif

Interview with Adam Reed (the creator) from GQ.

It's a good read, he says a pretty important character dies this season. I can't imagine any of them not being on the show. My guess would be Woodhouse since he's so old. But every character is great, so the show would suck if one of the ISIS people get killed.

Spoiler [+]
GQ: It's funny how much has changed since we last interviewed you. You weren't sure if Archer was even going to see a second season. 
Adam Reed: Yeah, though if I had to guess at the time, I would've said no.
GQ: How's everything been since that nervous start? 
Adam Reed: 
It's been great. It's a fun show to work on. FX has just been supremely cool about it, and stuck with the show, giving it a chance even though the ratings early on weren't great. So I'm very thankful to them. And one of the good things about more people knowing about the show is we get these great guest stars. We're just barely on their radar, but they seem to have heard of the show. They're fun to work with and fun to write for.

GQ: Yeah, we just talked to Burt Reynolds, and you guys are getting Bryan Cranston, now? 
Adam Reed: 
Yeah, he's going to be in the final two episodes of the season. Archer and the gang go to outer space, and Bryan plays the commander of the International Space Station.

GQ: Like a Moonraker kind of thing? 
Adam Reed: 
It's not too Moonraker-y, because I probably haven't seen it since the ABC Sunday Night Movie in 1979, or whatever. But there are nods to a bunch of other science fiction stuff.

GQ: Speaking of which, that's what really makes Archer so entertaining, is how incredibly dense with references it is. Viewers probably didn't know who Sweet Lou Dunbar was, or recognize that Lord Byron poem tattooed on Pam's back... 
Adam Reed: 
Which was about Sweet Lou Dunbar!

GQ: It seems like the connection between a show about secret agents and one full of pop-culture references isn't an obvious one. 
Adam Reed: 
I guess it's the guilty writer crutch...I guess a pop reference is more of a crutch than a Byron poem, but I like writing jokes that no one gets, just so that I can argue with the other producers here about it. "Why are we drawing this poem?" "Draw a skull on it, it's great, six people in the world will get what it is."

GQ: Is there an expectation that people will look it up after the fact? 
Adam Reed: 
That's what I really like, and I like when you see a web site that's done the 10 Most Obscure Archer Jokes. It's very rewarding to know that somebody's taken the time to Google all this and see what it means. And Sweet Lou Dunbar, actually, was also a cartoon character. I don't know if you're familiar with the Harlem Globetrotters cartoon.

GQ: That's a little outside of my time frame. 
Adam Reed: 
Yeah, early Hanna-Barbera. They were a superhero squad, and Sweet Lou Dunbar's power was that he could reach into his afro and pull out whatever they needed at any given time. Just whatever they needed, it would be in Lou's afro.

GQ: Yeah, Archer's great that way. It's a very Internet-digestable show, in how the references deserve analysis after the fact. And it's a very GIF-able show, because that's a thing now. 
Adam Reed: 
[laughs] I didn't know that was a thing.

GQ: Like how [show creator] Dan Harmon has said he plans GIF-able moments on Community. And there are a lot of Archer ones. Like the pirate virus, for example—which, I totally listened to that song on repeat for a solid 20 minutes. 
Adam Reed: 
[laughs] That's just self-punishment! That's the most annoying sound loop of all time.

GQ: Yeah, where did that come from? 
Adam Reed: 
I don't know where the actual joke came from, I guess I wrote it. But the songs, one of our producers and our lead background painter, Eric Sims, did the Archer theme song, and whenever we need a ringtone, like "Mulatto Butts," or the pirate thing, we call him up and he does these crazy little songs for us.

GQ: That's insane. 
Adam Reed: 
That that's somebody's job, yeah.

GQ: What do you think has changed? The show has a slightly different feel than in earlier seasons. It's more sure of itself, referential with itself. 
Adam Reed: 
There is some of that. I guess as we've relaxed a bit as the thread is a little thicker on the axe hanging over us...getting to know the characters and the actors, I think it's become more of an ensemble piece, which is great because the cast is hilarious. And the challenge, really, is making sure that everybody gets as much screen time as they deserve, which we can never do, because there are so many of them and they're so good. But that's the fun, is having all these kooky characters and spending time with them. My favorite episodes have been the backstories of the non-Archer characters. Like Cheryl, and kooky Pam.

GQ: More screen time for all the actors including yourself, as Ray? 
Adam Reed: 
Not so much for me. I like Gillette, but I think he's better in very small doses. He's one of the better people, I think he's got some character traits that a lot of them lack, and he's a bit of a voice of reason—relatively, I guess.

GQ: How do you enjoy voice acting? 
Adam Reed: 
I like it. I feel I suffer by comparison with the cast we have now, which is why I try to keep Ray in the background. But on Frisky Dingo, I did probably seven of the voices, five of the main characters. So I got plenty of that, and it really became a chore, so it's nice to do this occasionally, instead of every day getting in a hot, sweaty B.O. booth.

GQ: You guys record all the dialogue, and then animate the show around it. 
Adam Reed: 
Yeah, we do. That's always the first thing after the script. Then we record the dialogue, and we do an audio cut of the show. And that, to me, is the most important part of the process, getting that as good as it can be. And for me, you should be able to listen to an episode of Archer and enjoy it just as much as watching one. Then we add all this great art and little visual gags, which I often don't even see until seeing the final animation. Stuff that wasn't in the script, but is great.

GQ: Is that why during the action scenes, they're often just talking—having an argument with the shootout? 
Adam Reed: 
Yeah, it's a very dialogue-driven show, even in the action sequences. That's Archer's favorite time to annoy everybody, because he's never worried about them dying; deep down inside, he just assumes everything is going to be fine. But everybody else is freaked out, and rightfully so, and he enjoys screwing with them, when they can't argue effectively.

GQ: You've said that your idea for Archer was like Ian Fleming's James Bond, but even more of a ****. 
Adam Reed: 
As dickish as possible.

GQ: But as the show's gone on, he's shown more of a soft spot. His love of ocelots, his fear of alligators. But he still alternates between those and his **** moments. 
Adam Reed: 
A total douche. I think that remains the trick, to make him as dickish as possible but still sympathetic. I think we get glimpses behind his façade accidentally, like I'm sure he wouldn't do that voluntarily, but you see moments of his sad childhood, and unguarded moments with an animal, or his total adulation of Burt Reynolds. I think those help the times when he's an utter ****, you go, "Eh, well, he didn't have it so easy."

GQ: Speaking of childhood flashbacks, the one where he dresses as Charlie Chaplin for Halloween, and they think, "Why was he dressed as Hitler?" 
Adam Reed: 
I actually went as Charlie Chaplin when I was like five years old, my dad was like, "This is going to be great," and none of the kids knew who I was, and it was the lamest costume ever. Jon Benjamin told me last year, he's got a son who's eight, and they made him as Queequeg, with a spear and Maori tattoos and everything, and nobody knew who he was, he was so bummed out.

GQ: Also there's the book, How to Archer
Adam Reed: 
I guess it's safe to say that Archer had some help writing that. He had a ghostwriter, which was me.

GQ: It's a great book. It's got cocktail recipes... 
Adam Reed: 
That's the backbone of the book, really, is just drinks.

GQ: It's great that a character has enough to fill an entire book after two seasons. Did you expect this kind of reaction to Archer
Adam Reed: 
Oh, no, absolutely not. We've always done these tiny, 15-minute shows on Adult Swim that aired at like 2 a.m. on a Sunday night. So to have people actually see it is a big change, it's not something we've been exposed to before...so that's nice!

GQ: This is a little more structured than those Adult Swim shows. 
Adam Reed: 
Yeah, it probably is a little more accessible. And I've enjoyed being able to focus more on structure, though it was a challenge at first, switching gears from writing for Adult Swim to writing for FX. It was like, "What, character motivation? What is that? Wikipedia..."

GQ: A lot of those shows don't have a very long shelf life. Do you think shows like this can last? How do you see Archer changing over the coming seasons? Can you keep it fresh? 
Adam Reed: 
I hope so! And we've got some plans for season four, for example, where we're going to change some of the character dynamics a bit, keep throwing rocks at Archer. This season, we have a fairly important character actually die. So, we can't always do that because we'd run out of characters, but hopefully I have 100 more story ideas in me.

GQ: Really? Someone dies? That should come with a soap-opera-style promo. One of them will die in the next 60 minutes. 
Adam Reed: 
I'm writing that down.

GQ: And will we see the return of old characters, like Conway Stern? 
Adam Reed: 
He's going to be back in season four. We had so many great guest stars in season three that we ran out of time before we could get back to some of our favorites.

GQ: So season four is green-lit, and in the works? 
Adam Reed: 
I think we've actually been picked up for four and five. I'm not sure, but that's the assumption I'm operating under.

GQ: I'll make sure to double-check with FX on that. 
Adam Reed: 
[laughs] Yeah, if you'll double-check and shoot me an email. I should write that down, but I'm pretty sure that it's true.

GQ: Well, that's a far cry from the early days. But personally, it's still the one show I tell people they should be watching. But it doesn't sound like it needs my help anymore. 
Adam Reed: 
Oh no, oh no, don't quit helping.

GQ: One last note on the book: From a GQ perspective, we have a disagreement. He says you only need two knots (the half-Windsor and the Pratt), neither of which are what you need, which is four-in-hand. 
Adam Reed: 
Really? Yeah, I should've checked into that.

GQ: Just a little thing. Might want to fix it in the next edition. 
Adam Reed: 
[laughs] Yeah, when it hits its second printing. I feel like a bit of an +$% about that, now that you say it. It's an important knot.

GQ: Actually, while we're on it, what's with his tie bar? It goes across his entire tie. 
Adam Reed: 
Does it? I'll look into that too, that's an easy fix.

GQ: If that actually gets fixed... 
Adam Reed: 
I'm actually instant messaging the lead character designer right now. So at the end of season three—a bunch has already been drawn—keep an eye out for his tie bar.

GQ: It should go about halfway. There's a guide in the February issue of GQ
Adam Reed: 
Okay. It's fixed. I'm totally going to fix it, and when you see it, you will go, "That's me, I fixed that."

GQ: I might actually cry a little. 
Adam Reed: 
It's totally happening.

Originally Posted by Noskey

The last episode was by far the best of this season, one of the top ever.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 word. the replay value of this week's ep. was definitely exercised.

the dialogue between archer & the ocelot at the end had me weak
laugh.gif

"Lana..Lana..LANNAAAA!! He remembers me!"
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

too many quotables
laugh.gif

roll.gif
@ tonights episode

When he starting screaming when he saw the bar in the car
laugh.gif

Show is the best
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by onewearz

roll.gif
@ tonights episode

When he starting screaming when he saw the bar in the car
laugh.gif

Show is the best
pimp.gif
This, Pam getting pissed because of the car damage, and Cheryl getting hot and bothered because of the slap. 
roll.gif

Hilarious episode.

Pam wanted to shoot the dude in the water...archer smashing the video tape...the confetti in his food.... his mom being a sadist...that freak getting slapped and liking it

I've never wanted a cartoon woman...like I do Lana...
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Back
Top Bottom