Apple desperate attempt targets the Droid X Vol. We get it Jobs

I think Steve Jobs' main point of frustration is the media. However, while his points are valid that all phone's are imperfect in this matter and the media is picking on the iPhone, it's also valid to point out that the iPhone 4's design does not address that imperfection. Jobs is so quick to point out the problem in ALL smartphones and say that something needs to be done, but it's quite apparent that they did not take this issue into any type of consideration when designing their revolutionary antenna.

With that said, I have an iPhone 4, usually am in areas with great coverage and have a bumper (bought it and put it on from the moment I purchased the phone). Therefore, I am more than satisfied with my iPhone. What people are failing to discuss (which Jobs pointed out) is that people still love their iPhone 4's. Everyone I know who owns an iPhone 4 shares the same sentiment as me. Yes, there are imperfections with the antenna and they most likely exist worse than any of the phones that Apple has been calling out recently, but when it comes down to it, all that really matters to me is my personal satisfaction with the product. If no one ever pointed out this flaw, I never would have even noticed it and would still love my phone. The media loves to get down to the weeds of things like this and people seem to forget what's really important: Are you happy with your product?

In the end, Apple is handling it the way that it should be handled. Would you expect them to redesign the phone (which they are probably doing i.e. Ending free bumpers by September 30) AND give everyone who bought one a replacement? They COULD do that, but it's more cost effective to give away cases, especially since this completely hides the issue and most people put a case on their iPhone. Now if you're one of the people who don't want a case on their phone and is still dissatisfied, Steve Jobs has asked you to show him your dissatisfaction by returning your iPhone 4 for a full refund. He's betting that most people are satisfied with his solution at this point (in the end it's most likely the most cost effective solution). If this were an issue from Samsung, HTC, Motorola or Nokia, how would they handle it? If they handle it any better, then I may just consider switching out my iPhone for one of those phones.

I think Steve Jobs' main point of frustration is the media. However, while his points are valid that all phone's are imperfect in this matter and the media is picking on the iPhone, it's also valid to point out that the iPhone 4's design does not address that imperfection. Jobs is so quick to point out the problem in ALL smartphones and say that something needs to be done, but it's quite apparent that they did not take this issue into any type of consideration when designing their revolutionary antenna.

With that said, I have an iPhone 4, usually am in areas with great coverage and have a bumper (bought it and put it on from the moment I purchased the phone). Therefore, I am more than satisfied with my iPhone. What people are failing to discuss (which Jobs pointed out) is that people still love their iPhone 4's. Everyone I know who owns an iPhone 4 shares the same sentiment as me. Yes, there are imperfections with the antenna and they most likely exist worse than any of the phones that Apple has been calling out recently, but when it comes down to it, all that really matters to me is my personal satisfaction with the product. If no one ever pointed out this flaw, I never would have even noticed it and would still love my phone. The media loves to get down to the weeds of things like this and people seem to forget what's really important: Are you happy with your product?

In the end, Apple is handling it the way that it should be handled. Would you expect them to redesign the phone (which they are probably doing i.e. Ending free bumpers by September 30) AND give everyone who bought one a replacement? They COULD do that, but it's more cost effective to give away cases, especially since this completely hides the issue and most people put a case on their iPhone. Now if you're one of the people who don't want a case on their phone and is still dissatisfied, Steve Jobs has asked you to show him your dissatisfaction by returning your iPhone 4 for a full refund. He's betting that most people are satisfied with his solution at this point (in the end it's most likely the most cost effective solution). If this were an issue from Samsung, HTC, Motorola or Nokia, how would they handle it? If they handle it any better, then I may just consider switching out my iPhone for one of those phones.

Originally Posted by AirJus23

I agree with you here.  That's all that matters at the end of the day, "are you satisfied".
I dont think people are making a fuss about this because its a bad or unsatisfactory phone. The only reason this blew up so much because 1: Apple marketed this phone with its "revolutionary antenna design", which ended up being a revolutionary fail, and 2: When you spend 2-300 on a phone, and have to pay extra for a special plan, you expect it to work as it is supposed to out of the box. Not everyone lives, works, or will be in an area with strong signal 24/7, so while the problem might not be bad in a strong area, what happens when you are in a weak area with no case?   Also, you shouldnt have to acquire an extra accesory(case/bumper) to hold and use your phone normally, free or not.  I dont know about you, but if I spend 2-300 on a phone, especially one that is marketed for its looks, aesthetics, and antenna design, I dont want to have to get a case or bumper to hold it a certain way, it should be perfectly useable in all situations out of the box.  I agree that the iPhone 4 is a great phone, but something as big as an antenna problem on a wireless device cannot be just overlooked or ignored.  Giving free cases is cool, but it does not solve the problem.  Its just putting a band-aid on it.  I think all people want Jobs to do is to own up to the problem instead of trying to drag others down with him (and doing a bad job at it).

Originally Posted by AirJus23

I agree with you here.  That's all that matters at the end of the day, "are you satisfied".
I dont think people are making a fuss about this because its a bad or unsatisfactory phone. The only reason this blew up so much because 1: Apple marketed this phone with its "revolutionary antenna design", which ended up being a revolutionary fail, and 2: When you spend 2-300 on a phone, and have to pay extra for a special plan, you expect it to work as it is supposed to out of the box. Not everyone lives, works, or will be in an area with strong signal 24/7, so while the problem might not be bad in a strong area, what happens when you are in a weak area with no case?   Also, you shouldnt have to acquire an extra accesory(case/bumper) to hold and use your phone normally, free or not.  I dont know about you, but if I spend 2-300 on a phone, especially one that is marketed for its looks, aesthetics, and antenna design, I dont want to have to get a case or bumper to hold it a certain way, it should be perfectly useable in all situations out of the box.  I agree that the iPhone 4 is a great phone, but something as big as an antenna problem on a wireless device cannot be just overlooked or ignored.  Giving free cases is cool, but it does not solve the problem.  Its just putting a band-aid on it.  I think all people want Jobs to do is to own up to the problem instead of trying to drag others down with him (and doing a bad job at it).

Back
Top Bottom