Anyone work for UPS as a Package Handler ?

Originally Posted by silverswoosh

Originally Posted by kidUFC

which hub yall work at?

Burtonsville, MD.
Man I #*+$%@# hate your hub. I worked in Alexandria, VA for the holidays.

MAKE SURE YOU KEEP TRACK OF ALL YOUR HOURS WHEN YOU FIRST START WORKING
and you don't need boots for orientation

Originally Posted by XIIz89

kidUFC wrote:

which hub yall work at?

Burtonsville, MD.
Man I %%%%%*# hate your hub. I worked in Alexandria, VA for the holidays.

roll.gif

I used to load in Alex. That #%*$ used to run. I still help load it occasionally, though. It seems to have lightened up ever since some stuff got diverted toNewington.

Originally Posted by gunitg23

Today, I got a call from UPS after filling out the application yesterday
I'm going on a tour on the 21st but I was told I couldn't wear gym shoes

My question is for those who work at ups hubs what shoes do you wear to work ?
Originally Posted by NothinAfter

yeah today....i got an appointment as a package handler for tuesday

says i have to wear boots

for anyone that work there...is this an guranteed job?
so... how'd it go?

and do you get paid for training?

excuse my ignorance. cut class alot senior year in HS, shoulda paid attention in econ/gov
smh.gif
but could you school me on Union(s) ?
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by GFlower8

so... how'd it go?

excuse my ignorance. i cut class alot senior year in HS, shoulda paid attention in econ/gov
smh.gif
ohwell.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_union
http://en.wikipedia.org/w...ions_in_the_United_States

I worked as a package handler for about 9 months and left because I had to attend college and can't work 5 days a week. At first the work can be physicallyexhausting but it becomes easier. I was working while a senior in high school and was the youngest person in the building. I started as an unloader and used tojust go in and take out all frustrations and energy on unloading quickly. Then they moved me to become a loader and this is a much tougher position. At firstin a small load that only filled 1 truck a night. It takes time to master building walls in trucks, and it is very frustrating. After a couple months ofgetting good at building walls I was in the heaviest load on the shift, we would do 3 long trailers airtight full of packages in 3 1/2 hours a night. I justwent in and viewed it as a workout every night. It is definately a chill job, most workers drank beers in the parking lot after work as well as blazed up
pimp.gif

Package Handlers are part of the Teamsters union.The benefits are definitely on point, such as 20% off cell phone service, real cheap health insurance, a bunchof other discounts, occasional UPS gear, choice days(I was paid for 2 weeks vacation because I didn't miss any days for 7 months). The pay is not real goodbut its consistent. You will definately meet some characters but most of the old heads are strong as $+@%. I really enjoyed working there because I didn'thave people yelling at me all the time. My supervisor would come into the trailer and copy down a couple tracking numbers, shoot the %$*@ with me, and leave mealone the rest of the night. Its probably not a job for everyone but I enjoyed the workout and the alone time to think about stuff while i worked all while notbeing bored at work because of constant packages. Def got a lot stronger too. There really weren't many cons about the job except maybe the heat in thesummer.

My bro works for fedex as package handler on top of his full time job. It's easy money if you like that kind of work. I should apply for extra cash toosince I love work that is rigorous and fast moving.

Originally Posted by seniosoul

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

I was a package handler for FedEx and from what I found out UPS > FedEx.

Forget the pay for a minute. At FedEx instead of working Monday-Friday, you work Tuesday-Saturday. Not having your Friday nights sucks. At FedEx you have to scan all of the packages before you load them on to the designated truck (at UPS I don't think you have to). Also, the system for loading the trucks is much easier at UPS.

If I'm wrong someone correct me. That's just the differences I've found out here in Washington State.
yea we have to scan all the packages too, for tracking... yesterday I loaded about 900 packages/boxes and my partner loaded around 550. I load the 18wheeler freights. that +#!* is exhausting.
weak.. i scanned like 2500 packages in 4 hrs. and yes all packages must be scanned at ups. but there are some that doesnt scan.. so i jus toss them.
laugh.gif
i got the sunrise shift... which starts @ 3:30Am and the freight truck leaves at 5:45 everyday and the packages that don't make it to freightgoes to the package car. so yea I got a time limit
yesterday I loaded 1100 packages by myself... ... man you know how heavy those boxes are, then after that, all them !@#!+%% bags and Irregs that come at theend
tired.gif
laugh.gif

and yea I just toss the ones that don't scan.. *%%@ key entering all those damn alphabets and numbers
laugh.gif
I'm more worried about the boxes backing up.

im a beast thats forsure.. for my size, i tossed 70 pound packages like nothing. and if you ever see a sz 9 tim boot foot print on your package its probablymines. lmao

GFlower8 wrote:

so... how'd it go?

excuse my ignorance. cut class alot senior year in HS, shoulda paid attention in econ/gov
smh.gif
ohwell.gif

well i went tuesday....it started for 6:00...ended up getting there around 7....gave me the wrong address
smh.gif

got in there with at least 7 people...i was number 8....and at least 2 people came in after me...nobody knew where this place was
tired.gif

so it was like 10 people in total...we wrote our name down,social number, phone number etc

dude came out and said he was doing something at the time or something....but nobody got interviewed
eek.gif

he said he will give us a call when he need us
smh.gif

waste of my time
frown.gif

" call you when they need you " means they arent hiring..
but its stupid

why would you make me come just to tell me you're not hiring
mad.gif

waste of gas
smh.gif

" call you when they need you " means they arent hiring..
but its stupid

why would you make me come just to tell me you're not hiring
mad.gif

waste of gas
smh.gif
because theyre always "hiring " company policy i guess..
laugh.gif

but i mean they might give 1 person from your group a call if they need to fill a position.. jus keep hope alive.. look for other jobs

Originally Posted by nicefro

If it's straight numbers, I'll key it in. Alphabets get tossed.
I was considering working @ Burtonsville, how is it?

It's not that bad. Like everyone said, the first few weeks are the worst...it gets better after that. Whatever the temp is outside, It's gonna be worseinside, but they have fans for the heat and heat for the cold. Majority of the people their are cool. After you get used to the people in your area, it'salmost like a family. In the beginning, they'll tell you how fast to you should be working, but it's mostly BS. Sometimes, you'll get stuck with@%!%+% equipment. Extendos, FTW. You get paid once a week...get your check on Thursday, cash it Friday. And there's plenty of parking.

Before I went in yesterday, I saw a group waiting outside. It looked like they were waiting for a tour. I saw another group, once I got in, walking around witha guide. I suppose they're in the process of hiring.

So...I have an interview tomorrow night.

I applied for the night shift, 11-4 AM...
frown.gif
Any pros/cons to working anight shift?

Should I get this job, it would be my 2nd. I just recently got an apt with my girlfriend and making rent on my end is really rough with my current job. Ifigured I could work at UPS during the week, and my other job on the weekends. Does everybody start off at $8.50? Also...any of you cats in relationships, whatdid you other half feel about the job?

My wifey doesn't want to me take the night shift for the simple fact that we won't be seeing each other much. I'll be on my way to work when shegets in from school/work, and she'll be on her way out when I get in. I don't want this job to ruin my relationship, but i'm also doing this for myrelationship. I also feel that by starting off as a package handler, i'll get one foot in the door and bust my !+$ to move up.

Originally Posted by LESGodSonC0

frown.gif
Any pros/cons to working a night shift?

Should I get this job, it would be my 2nd. I just recently got an apt with my girlfriend and making rent on my end is really rough with my current job. I figured I could work at UPS during the week, and my other job on the weekends. Does everybody start off at $8.50? Also...any of you cats in relationships, what did you other half feel about the job?

My wifey doesn't want to me take the night shift for the simple fact that we won't be seeing each other much. I'll be on my way to work when she gets in from school/work, and she'll be on her way out when I get in. I don't want this job to ruin my relationship, but i'm also doing this for my relationship. I also feel that by starting off as a package handler, i'll get one foot in the door and bust my !+$ to move up.
yeah everyone starts at 8.50 but like i said you get a buck raise after 3 months and can make another buck if you decide to become a sorter..which can be anytime upon hire.

so 10.50 within the first 3 months.

im not currently in a relationship.. but why does it matter? a job is a job.. ur other half shouldnt say !%!% abut what you do.. make your money .. come homeand smash..

and it shouldnt ruin your relationship.. i mean to keep your apt.. you have no choice.

and you can actually apply for management upon hire.. no physical work but your not union.. so mess up your fired.. but its up to you.. theyll explain morewhen you go for an interview or orientation.

which hub are you in?

Originally Posted by LESGodSonC0

frown.gif
Any pros/cons to working a night shift?

Should I get this job, it would be my 2nd. I just recently got an apt with my girlfriend and making rent on my end is really rough with my current job. I figured I could work at UPS during the week, and my other job on the weekends. Does everybody start off at $8.50? Also...any of you cats in relationships, what did you other half feel about the job?

My wifey doesn't want to me take the night shift for the simple fact that we won't be seeing each other much. I'll be on my way to work when she gets in from school/work, and she'll be on her way out when I get in. I don't want this job to ruin my relationship, but i'm also doing this for my relationship. I also feel that by starting off as a package handler, i'll get one foot in the door and bust my !+$ to move up.

You can also start at $9.50 which can happen if you start off sorting... It will cut some time with your girl if you are also going to school... But you gottatake chances to be able to do good... So just try it out and see how it works out with the shift... What hub will you be working at?

Back
Top Bottom