Anyone Got an S Class? 7 series vs a8 vs s500?

Hey I was thinking of buying a new accord or altima or something like that when it hit me. I can get a 2001 7 series, s500, or a8 with around 70-100 miles onit for 15-20 grand. Im looking hardest at the s500 2001 in black. The interior and looks of this car are to much. I have not driven one yet though so im gonnago check one out. Anyone have any advise. I know maintness might be a lot but hell the car will be 10 grand less that what I was gonna get in first place. Imimporting to canada btw.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002...oryZ6336QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
so clean!

1509_4.JPG
153a_4.JPG
141f_4.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002...oryZ6336QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So Clean!

you'd be better off getting that new altima IMO (or even another mid level luxury car that is newer). that S Class is looking real dated about now. themaintenance will HURT, you even said it yourself.

i got a 2001 s500,got it almost 2 years ago.I loved it when i first got it (and so did the females).but now everytime i see a s550 i feel like im wearin fubuor somethin...heres some pics

Nothing against you Fed, but I have heard bad things about '01 Sclasses in terms of maintenance. People I've talked to had a lot of problems.

You might be better off looking at a 7 series BMW '01-'02 possibly, just higher miles.

Originally Posted by FedExciter

i got a 2001 s500,got it almost 2 years ago.I loved it when i first got it (and so did the females).but now everytime i see a s550 i feel like im wearin fubu or somethin...heres some pics

Get some bigger rims..or drop it..would look 10x better

I had a conversation with my mechanic about that model S class, he advised against it, but if you want to go the Mercedes route in those years, he talkedhighly of the 02 E-class. Said it was one of the best built in those years, but did mention the climate control is an issue.

Out of all three for that year....the S class

If we're talking 07-08 ..it's between the Sclass and A8 ...7 series looks kinda played out around here. A8 just has such a fierce look to it, veryEuropean, as if the car talks with a accent and shhh

The S550 was the first car I didn't want to get out of when I first got in one. Goodness, I need one of those in my life.

i got a 2001 s500,got it almost 2 years ago.I loved it when i first got it (and so did the females).but now everytime i see a s550 i feel like im wearin fubu or somethin...heres some pics

Thats seaside beach/park. My family and i grab that table you see by the rock EVERY 4th of July.

Get the new car.

Maintenance/parts will get you on the older MB. And its a dated vehicle.

Those early years E65/E66 7 series are dubbed the 2nd most problematic BMW ever, under the 8 series.. They have the first gen iDrive which had major issues. Among common issues, the massaging gel on the drivers seat tend to leak out.

the reason the older euro luxury cars are relatively cheap compared to how much it cost in the beginning is cause they suck if you buy them used. esp. benz...i heard so many bad things about benz after they were bought by chrysler. if you are really looking into older luxury, i would say go get a LS400/430 or aGS300/400/430. would give you less headache and still give u the "baller status" ur looking for. but if i were you instead of trying to flaunt what idont have i'd get something new and save myself the trouble.

Originally Posted by GG0tti

Thats seaside beach/park. My family and i grab that table you see by the rock EVERY 4th of July.

yea seaside park in bridgeport

Hm so 2001 has probs? Anyone here anything about the 2002 s500? Im also really looking at the 740 and 750 2001 year. What is main difference other than enginesize? I heard they have different set-up. Also they are pretty reliable correct? Due to them being end of model since they re did it in 2002

If you really want to know about the E38 (specifically 01 7 Series) I can school you tomorrow but this will be brief:
750iL is the 5.4 liter V12, and has every option standard and full leather dash, and tons of little things in the interior that the V8 doesn't have. Itruns approx. 30 degrees cooler than the V8, but there is 2 of everything when needed to be replaced where the V8 has 1.
740iL and 740i are 4.4 liter V8s and have problems with the radiators. Power steering hose leaks, bushings, and dead pixels in the pixel display underneaththe speedometer are common in all E38s. Say the time is 4:30p.m. if you see this in the pixel display > 4:30pm < those arrows pointing means somethingis wrong with the car. Could be something as simple as a lightbulb burnt out or it could be the transmission. There are two buttons on the instrumentcluster, one resets the trip mileage and one will tell you the problem (if there is one).. I can't remember which one does which but just push both tofind out. If there are no arrows, you should be good for a while but there most likely will be a problem eventually. Maintenance is not expensive if you knowwhat you are doing, and know where to order parts from. It's late and I'll tell you more later.

If it were up to me thought, I'd go with a the S500, do not look at the S430... less standard options and a weaker engine although that doesn't meanmuch but with the flagships, you want as much as possible. I love my 740, but nothing beats an S Class when it comes to full size luxury cars.

Note: 750iL shocks (EDC which is the electronic damping control) are $800 each where standard 740 shocks are less than $200.

Hey I was thinking of buying a new accord or altima or something like that when it hit me. I can get a 2001 7 series, s500, or a8 with around 70-100 miles on it for 15-20 grand. Im looking hardest at the s500 2001 in black. The interior and looks of this car are to much. I have not driven one yet though so im gonna go check one out. Anyone have any advise. I know maintness might be a lot but hell the car will be 10 grand less that what I was gonna get in first place. Im importing to canada btw.

so with the $10,000 you've saved, you're putting it right back into the car. lol, good luck. buying through warranty and having a good insurance policyis the best investment you can make with a car. a car that depreciates every mile, every year, and one second out the showroom you purchased it from.

youre making the same mistake every person makes when it comes to greed. you could settle for something reliable but you flirt with the thought to go forsomething swanky. you aint really ballin' outta control when your 'baller whip' is in the shop and you got nothing to show for. but i dont knowyour situation, so what the hell.

70-100,000 miles is a lot man. lol

edit.

here's a quick check list of what youre facing outside of warranty

$100-$250 oil changes since its synthetic every 4k-5k miles
$65+ fill ups of 91 octane
$3000 for that transmission rebuild when you hit that 85,000+ mile mark
$2500 if your subframe cracks
havent even begun with the stealership prices. you better get acquainted with the mercedes benx, audi, bmw message boards before you jump into this or youllregret it. trust.

don't cop any of those cars. they're dirt cheap after a few years for a reason: the maintanence or repairs are a killer. those S class benzs are a pitato diagnose problems. Do your research before you cop anything.

Back
Top Bottom