Anyone else a HUGE sports fan, but not care for soccer?

I have tried so hard to get into the sport.  I used to play when I was younger too (mostly just to stay in shape), but I just cant do it. 
Anyone else like me in this regard?

In this country it's a majority sentiment.

This country hates sports that didn't originate here, especially ones that don't have high scores

This summer is dedicated to the haters
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by MzD650

I have tried so hard to get into the sport.  I used to play when I was younger too (mostly just to stay in shape), but I just cant do it. 
Any particular reasons for hating soccer?

i'm definitely a big football/basketball guy, but do i hate soccer? nah.. after my copy of Madden broke at school (lol) i started playing FIFA 10 and got into soccer a lot more. recognizing all the top players and knowing who they play for makes a big difference.

the other day i sat down and watched a full soccer game without interruption for the first time (the US friendly match) and was pretty entertained. im looking forward to the World Cup.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Originally Posted by MzD650

Any particular reasons for hating soccer?

I mean, theres a ton of reasons I dislike the sport, but people are going to look at it as hate.  I could list them if you want.  

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

This country hates sports that didn't originate here, especially ones that don't have high scores

Football didnt originate here......just sayin....

I cant say that I hate the sport but I am definitely not going to watch the World Cup at all.

do you understand the game? i know people who hate certain sports cause they dont understand it.

If you are a fan of sports, you are a fan of soccer. There are so many elements that permeate other sports that you probably like. I mean you might not be interested in it and I'm pretty sure you're reasoning for hating it will be faulty as well. You're just not that into it....doesn't mean you hate it.

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

Football didnt originate here......just sayin....

I mean, neither did Baseball technically, but you get what i'm getting at.

Originally Posted by env

do you understand the game? i know people who hate certain sports cause they dont understand it.

Yes I understand the game.  Like I said earlier, I used to play.
And I guess I should clarify....I dont necessarily HATE soccer, but I would watch ANYthing else that is on (sports or not).  And I am a sports nut.   I just cant get into soccer at all.

Originally Posted by bijald0331

If you are a fan of sports, you are a fan of soccer. There are so many elements that permeate other sports that you probably like. I mean you might not be interested in it and I'm pretty sure you're reasoning for hating it will be faulty as well. You're just not that into it....doesn't mean you hate it.
I dont agree with this.  I dont hate soccer per say, but I definitely am not a fan of it at all.  You say "if you are a fan of sports, you are a fan of soccer" but that is absolutely false.  I am a huge sports fan and I am not a fan of soccer.  

I HATED it until I started playing my senior year of H.S.

I really came to appreciate it. I think whatever you play or have played, you will enjoy to watch more.

The small details are awesome when you start to notice them.

if you don't like soccer, just get a copy of fifa 10, get good at it, and you'll love the sport. lol worked for me when i copped fifa 06 during the 06 world cup.

Originally Posted by nYcHipHopHippo

if you don't like soccer, just get a copy of fifa 10, get good at it, and you'll love the sport. lol worked for me when i copped fifa 06 during the 06 world cup.

I personally LOVE soccer video games, but just dont enjoy watching the sport what so ever.

I dont agree with this.  I dont hate soccer per say, but I definitely am not a fan of it at all.  You say "if you are a fan of sports, you are a fan of soccer" but that is absolutely false.  I am a huge sports fan and I am not a fan of soccer.  
I agree that the "if you're a sports fan you're a soccer fan" logic is somewhat flawed, although I think there is some truth to what dland was saying. 
What I don't understand is when people aggressively HATE soccer and go out of their way to make it known. If you don't like it, it's all good, but is it necessary to make a post 7 days before the WC talking about how horrible soccer is? 
grin.gif

And not that I want to get into this whole discussion, but I think the American dislike in soccer is rooted in a lot of nonsensical stuff. We're not the best at it, so we don't like it (same reason men's tennis isn't as popular as when Sampras and Agassi were 1-2). It's boring to watch (every movie doesn't have to be an action movie with explosions; and that NBA game tonight sure was thrilling!). There isn't enough scoring (so you'd prefer a 100-88 game that has bunches of scoring, but is never close, to a 1-0 game which can be become a 1-1 game in a matter of seconds?). They flop and cry (wish I had a good comeback for this one, which I don't, but every game has its flaws. The refereeing in the NBA is preposterously bad, but we still watch.) 

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

I agree that the "if you're a sports fan you're a soccer fan" logic is somewhat flawed, although I think there is some truth to what dland was saying. 
What I don't understand is when people aggressively HATE soccer and go out of their way to make it known. If you don't like it, it's all good, but is it necessary to make a post 7 days before the WC talking about how horrible soccer is? 
grin.gif

And not that I want to get into this whole discussion, but I think the American dislike in soccer is rooted in a lot of nonsensical stuff. We're not the best at it, so we don't like it (same reason men's tennis isn't as popular as when Sampras and Agassi were 1-2). It's boring to watch (every movie doesn't have to be an action movie with explosions; and that NBA game tonight sure was thrilling!). There isn't enough scoring (so you'd prefer a 100-88 game that has bunches of scoring, but is never close, to a 1-0 game which can be become a 1-1 game in a matter of seconds?). They flop and cry (wish I had a good comeback for this one, which I don't, but every game has its flaws. The refereeing in the NBA is preposterously bad, but we still watch.) 
I really hope this isnt what you got out of me making this thread.  It was NOT my intention at all.  In fact, I probably should change the title to "not a fan" rather than "absolutely hates."  
My intention was to see if there were other NTers who were like me (big sports fan/not soccer fan).  If you took it as agressive hate, Im sorry.  That wasnt really my intention.  Im changing the title 
laugh.gif

Im a huge sports fan, and I dont care much for soccer, but I love the World Cup. Its on another level, simalar to Olympic Hockey for me, but not quite there.

I think a big reason so many people dont like it is that its so massive, its kind of hard to follow. For American sports, theres one, MAYBE two leagues you can follow if your a major fan. For soccer, theres countless leagues.

call me guilty and ignorant at the same time... i know this sport is the most popular world wide but i really don't care for soccer... i don't hate it but it just doesn't interest me...maybe its just me but its boring and i rather watch other boring sports instead like golf and baseball...

I'll watch it, but it's far down on the list for me. Only really watch it for the bigger events. I think part of why I don't care for it as much as other sports is because I never played it.

to me soccer is very similar to basketball. very similar plays and routes
and I love the fact there are no commercial so your mind is always in the game

Back
Top Bottom