Anyone Collect Sports Cards?

Looking to get back into cards! Heading panini prizm is the way to go. Anyone have info how I start?

I'm not a basketball collector. Stopped watching that stuff late 2000s and don't really pay attention to it. MJ cards have been
increasing lately since the last dance thing.

NE ways, depends on who you ask but I prefer Hobby packs/boxes over retail prefer/boxes. Hobby is more expensive with better autos, parrells,
number cards, Short prints, refractors, color cards, etc...

The autos in the retail tend to be in the lower end. Sometime guys you never heard of. But I have opened a few packs retail from target or walmart that were better than hobby packs.

YOu can buy packs/blaster boxes at wallmart or target. They have a section for cards. See how you feel about them. Wanna upgrade to hobby or stay retail or do try both. Sports section usually located where your ready to check out. They usually have a clearance section. You can find gems in there if you know what your looking for. Bought these on Friday.
thumbnail.jpg

Was trying to hit a Rookie Mahommes in Score or a Ronald Acuna Jr bat down rookie in the topps series 2 (Acuna cards are the new Griffey), rookie Devers in topps series 1, lamar or barkley in Contenders pack etc... but didn't hit anything big.

Topps chrome is great.

For football I like prizm, optic, Spectra, phoenix, illusions, Obsidian, unparelleled

2020 PANINI Prizm Draft Picks Football Mega Box is hot the last few weeks. Went to Walmart 2 weeks ago and dude from MJ Holding company was restocking the sports card area. Oh yeah, they usual restock every week. Saw dude putting up 2020 prizm draft pick boxes mega boxes and told him bring in all the boxes he had and ended up buying all
3 cases. Those 3 cases were meant for all the walmart in my city. He said I make his day much easier by purchasing it all lol. These 2020 Prizms draft pick boxes were selling like hot cakes and still are right now.

There is always youtube to watch people crack open packs to see in you wanna invest in certain packs/box or not

Blowout cards and bbcexchange.com is nice
COMC if you wanna buy indivual cards. Ebay too

I'm not a basketball collector. Stopped watching that stuff late 2000s and don't really pay attention to it. MJ cards have been
increasing lately since the last dance thing.

NE ways, depends on who you ask but I prefer Hobby packs/boxes over retail prefer/boxes. Hobby is more expensive with better autos, parrells,
number cards, Short prints, refractors, color cards, etc...

The autos in the retail tend to be in the lower end. Sometime guys you never heard of. But I have opened a few packs retail from target or walmart that were better than hobby packs.

YOu can buy packs/blaster boxes at wallmart or target. They have a section for cards. See how you feel about them. Wanna upgrade to hobby or stay retail or do try both. Sports section usually located where your ready to check out. They usually have a clearance section. You can find gems in there if you know what your looking for. Bought these on Friday.
thumbnail.jpg

Was trying to hit a Rookie Mahommes in Score or a Ronald Acuna Jr bat down rookie in the topps series 2 (Acuna cards are the new Griffey), rookie Devers in topps series 1, lamar or barkley in Contenders pack etc... but didn't hit anything big.

Topps chrome is great.

For football I like prizm, optic, Spectra, phoenix, illusions, Obsidian, unparelleled

2020 PANINI Prizm Draft Picks Football Mega Box is hot the last few weeks. Went to Walmart 2 weeks ago and dude from MJ Holding company was restocking the sports card area. Oh yeah, they usual restock every week. Saw dude putting up 2020 prizm draft pick boxes mega boxes and told him bring in all the boxes he had and ended up buying all
3 cases. Those 3 cases were meant for all the walmart in my city. He said I make his day much easier by purchasing it all lol. These 2020 Prizms draft pick boxes were selling like hot cakes and still are right now.

There is always youtube to watch people crack open packs to see in you wanna invest in certain packs/box or not

Blowout cards and bbcexchange.com is nice
COMC if you wanna buy indivual cards. Ebay too

how much are boxes nowadays? way back when they would be around $60+, $3-something per packs x 20 or so packs per box. 3 cases mustve been crazy....and crazy fun to open lol

they got some weird *** boxes for hundreds even thousands of dollars

I don't even understand cards at this point

how much are boxes nowadays? way back when they would be around $60+, $3-something per packs x 20 or so packs per box. 3 cases mustve been crazy....and crazy fun to open lol
I think Walmart blaster boxes are around $20. Mega boxes were 34.99 but the 2020 prizms draft picks mega boxes increased to 39.99. I wanna say packs are $6 but not sure

I get a discount for Hobby boxes at my local card shop. I get a good price of them too since I spent a lot of money in there. He usually discounts $30-$60. I do remember buying first off the line 2019 Spectra football for $300. Went to the local card shop and homeboy wanted full price which was like $360 i think lol. I wanted 300 or I walk and he caved in and sold it to me. Keep in mind this was before sports cards started taking off again. Now, he probably won't give me a discount.
2019 unparalleled hobby box I got for 60 bucks. He was selling it for 100 plus tax. Retail was 40 bucks.

I should have stocked up on the 2018 baseball products. So many great rookies. Prcies are crazy high now. Only way to find them cheap is at the Walmart clearance

Wonder if I should stock up jarret Stidham cards now since it is low right now. I stockpiled Jimmy Gahkhgnjrkhueshg's card the moment he got traded to SF thinking he was going to be something :smh:. But I ended up selling them all and made back all my money and some pocket change

I think Walmart blaster boxes are around $20. Mega boxes were 34.99 but the 2020 prizms draft picks mega boxes increased to 39.99. I wanna say packs are $6 but not sure

I get a discount for Hobby boxes at my local card shop. I get a good price of them too since I spent a lot of money in there. He usually discounts $30-$60. I do remember buying first off the line 2019 Spectra football for $300. Went to the local card shop and homeboy wanted full price which was like $360 i think lol. I wanted 300 or I walk and he caved in and sold it to me. Keep in mind this was before sports cards started taking off again. Now, he probably won't give me a discount.
2019 unparalleled hobby box I got for 60 bucks. He was selling it for 100 plus tax. Retail was 40 bucks.

I should have stocked up on the 2018 baseball products. So many great rookies. Prcies are crazy high now. Only way to find them cheap is at the Walmart clearance

Wonder if I should stock up jarret Stidham cards now since it is low right now. I stockpiled Jimmy Gahkhgnjrkhueshg's card the moment he got traded to SF thinking he was going to be something :smh:. But I ended up selling them all and made back all my money and some pocket change

Im pretty out of the loop I’m used to 15 cards per pack 20 packs per box, etc. but I guess now they have ultra 6 dollar packs with like 8 in one box lol. Times have changed.

Thanks for all the info. I went to target today and they didn’t have much. I’ll go again to check. Anything specifically I should be looking for?

Always a thing I wondered. Shoe market is set. Nike sells to retailers for half of MSRP so they can eat also. Panini sells to wholesalers (MJ/Excell/etc) for who knows what then card shops mark up to market price.

No real transparency and it seems Panini is starting to maybe cut out the middle man with the prices they have set on their site. Hell these $20 blaster/hangers from walmart/target are going for $100+ at LCS’s and they get them from resellers as well. No way to even know the markup.

I once thought it was like a set market how shoes were with a retail price but nope.

Anybody check out the Topps project 2020 collection. They picked 20 iconic Topps/Bowman cards are picked 20 artist to redesign each one. They are releasing 2 per day, and they are only available for purchase for 48 hours. Ben Baller and Naturel are two of the artists. I have copped a few so far....the Thomas, 2 Griffey’s, and a Rivera.
Here is what they have done so far...

I been loving the project 2020 stuff. I’m going for all Griffey, Donnie, Jeter, Rickey, Nolan, and bretts. For artists I’m going for Blake, cartoon, siff, Taylor, saladeen, and Tyson Beck. I was lucky to be turned onto these early so most I have are at retail. I have every card released so far that I need besides for the Beck gooden, which is going to probably cost me $300 today. Maybe I’ll wait. Not sure if prices will drop or not. Great artist and low PR.
Here are my Griffey’s so far. The next two haven’t arrived yet.
D63E5B58-E8E6-4803-8E35-72A5C423B93C.jpeg

Also pulled this from a archives box the other day. Not bad
3DAA20F0-4CEF-44BF-B35A-8572214D7173.jpeg

What’s the deal with these ben baller designed cards? What’s so special about them?
Here’s a good explanation

They picked 20 cards and 20 artists. Each artists does their own version of each card for a total of 400 cards. The cards drop two/weekday for 48 hours, after that they are gone. The print run is the amount of orders in that window. People weren’t really in this early so a lot of the early cards have really low runs. Now that people are catching on the print runs are going up, and those earlier cards are in demand as people want to build collections (complete set, artist sets, or player sets). I love the whole idea as soon as I heard about it. Didn’t realize it would take off like it has thiugh. Wish I would have bought more of those early cards.

edit: I think the Ben baller cards are some of the worst but he’s been doing the highest numbers. Curious to see what don c did numbers wise on his first card. I didn’t care for that one either.

Last edited:
everyones grabbing boxes now

guess its impossible to grab these panini boxes that are $20 at target and walmart

wrnt and cleaned out

was just gonna buy a few boxes and open for fun and maybe I hit something :lol:

anyone pick up 2019 Chronicles Football Hobby Box that just released? From what I've seen, it looks pretty nice. If it is still available, gonna grab like 2 boxes at the card shop when I get back in town

I used to primarily collect Marvel and NBA cards in the early to mid 90s. I also used to get a lot of football and baseball cards for free when I was younger. I still have most of the cards from childhood. Last year, I copped an unopened box of Skybox Series II NBA cards from Royal Collectibles in Queens for $10 (they have a comic book shop and a sports memorabilia shop on the same block) and I started a new binder organizing them. I put it to the side at the time but now that we're on lockdown (and also because of The Last Dance making me feel nostalgic) I decided to continue organizing them. Even bought some more trading card sleeves. I've always been a collector of something- trading cards, comics, magazines, DVDs/Blu-Rays, kicks, Funko Pops, books, etc.
20200516_175735-1.jpg
A82F4C2D-8C4F-42D4-ABA1-F9E7FAB1CB89.jpeg

Last edited:
Good luck on the NBA hunt from retail. Seems like you will need an “in” when the reps stock up.

Always a thing I wondered. Shoe market is set. Nike sells to retailers for half of MSRP so they can eat also. Panini sells to wholesalers (MJ/Excell/etc) for who knows what then card shops mark up to market price.

No real transparency and it seems Panini is starting to maybe cut out the middle man with the prices they have set on their site. Hell these $20 blaster/hangers from walmart/target are going for $100+ at LCS’s and they get them from resellers as well. No way to even know the markup.

I once thought it was like a set market how shoes were with a retail price but nope.

everyones grabbing boxes now

guess its impossible to grab these panini boxes that are $20 at target and walmart

wrnt and cleaned out

was just gonna buy a few boxes and open for fun and maybe I hit something :lol:

Ditto. Went to Wally World, Dicks Sporting Goods, and planned on going to Target and getting some but forgot.

Anyway, I’m pretty clueless with this new stuff. Don’t even know what to buy that’s worth a damn. Would be nice to open up an entire box like the good ole days.

What type of basketball and football cards are the best to buy? Need some guidance lol

Back
Top Bottom