Anybody have the Amazon Kindle?

they're really nice and look sexy. i played with one for a bit, but i don't read much so no use
frown.gif
unless i could do textbooks.

i heard its dope, anyone who has it, has no complaints.

sidenote- mjbetch is that your girl in your avy?

I read earlier this week on Slate that it's a bad time to buy book readers. Judge for yourself:

E-book readers: The market for electronic books sure is heating up. Barnes & Noble just unveiled the Nook, its stylish competitor to Amazon's Kindle. In December, Sony will add a new model to its line of e-book devices-the Daily Reader, which features a touch-screen interface and, like the Nook and Kindle, wireless book downloads. There's also a new reader from Irex and a slate of colored Cool-Er readers from the British company Interead.

This isn't a good time to buy any of them. For one thing, e-readers are too expensive. Though you might see a few small discounts over the holidays, you'll pay at least $250 for a model with wireless access. (The Nook and Kindle sell for $259; the Daily Reader and Irex DR800SG are $399.) At those prices, an e-reader makes sense only for commuters and frequent travelers-yes, e-books are cheaper than print books, but you'll only make up the difference if you buy at least a dozen or so books a year.

What's more, buying any e-book reader now is a gamble. Every model has access to a different catalog of books, some of which are restricted by copy-protection schemes. This leads to a classic early-adopter format dilemma: Say you've got 30 e-books on the Kindle you purchased two years ago. Now you're in the market for a new reader, and you're leaning toward the Nook because it lets you share books with your friends. Tough luck-those Kindle books won't work on your Nook. Or imagine you buy the Nook today, but by 2012 Barnes & Noble decides to quit the e-book business because it can't compete with Amazon. Too bad-your Nook will be about as useful as an HD-DVD player. (For this same reason, I cautioned against buying Blu-ray players last year, and I'm sticking with the same advice this year.)

And there's one more good reason to wait on an e-reader: Apple. Nobody knows whether Apple will ever release a touch-screen tablet PC, and if it does, nobody knows whether the mythical device will function as an e-book reader. But it could! Apple seems to be close to announcing a big-screen iPod Touch-like device, and given Steve Jobs' history of discombobulating the media markets he enters, it seems wise to wait for Apple to move before going for any of the e-readers now on the market.

Idunno....the media and industery techies are acting like its huge and everyone is getting one, yet! I know of not one person who has one.

It's cool I played with one. I just think it's kinda big to carry around. But if you travel a lot I can see how it's awesome.

I see many people on the NYC subways have one.

I want one so bad, but I have 100s of books already and I don't want to rebuy the electronic versions of them so I dunno. Eventually I'll get one as Ibuy all of my books and reread them and it sucks moving boxes and boxes of heavy #$* books
laugh.gif

i was going to get one for my dad for xmas...but hes acting ******ed...so negative.

this is what my mom wants from my sister an I........

she loves books/writing

its not worth it?

It's a cool little gadget, but still impractical imo. The size, the features still need to improve a bit. I mean, you can browse the net, but it'sstill basically a gadget that does one thing and one thing only. Also, while this allows you to transport multiple "books" at a time, I reallydon't see a need to carry around more than one book that you might be into at any given time, even if you're really that big of a book reader.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

I read earlier this week on Slate that it's a bad time to buy book readers. Judge for yourself:

just emailed that to my mom and sis, good looks.

how does this thing work? if you check out a book from the library, can it somehow be put onto the kindle? or do you have to pay for everything you read on it?

I have one and its great, some books are free and some books you have to pay for and they download to the kindle.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

E-book readers: The market for electronic books sure is heating up. Barnes & Noble just unveiled the Nook, its stylish competitor to Amazon's Kindle. In December, Sony will add a new model to its line of e-book devices-the Daily Reader, which features a touch-screen interface and, like the Nook and Kindle, wireless book downloads. There's also a new reader from Irex and a slate of colored Cool-Er readers from the British company Interead.

This isn't a good time to buy any of them. For one thing, e-readers are too expensive. Though you might see a few small discounts over the holidays, you'll pay at least $250 for a model with wireless access. (The Nook and Kindle sell for $259; the Daily Reader and Irex DR800SG are $399.) At those prices, an e-reader makes sense only for commuters and frequent travelers-yes, e-books are cheaper than print books, but you'll only make up the difference if you buy at least a dozen or so books a year.

What's more, buying any e-book reader now is a gamble. Every model has access to a different catalog of books, some of which are restricted by copy-protection schemes. This leads to a classic early-adopter format dilemma: Say you've got 30 e-books on the Kindle you purchased two years ago. Now you're in the market for a new reader, and you're leaning toward the Nook because it lets you share books with your friends. Tough luck-those Kindle books won't work on your Nook. Or imagine you buy the Nook today, but by 2012 Barnes & Noble decides to quit the e-book business because it can't compete with Amazon. Too bad-your Nook will be about as useful as an HD-DVD player. (For this same reason, I cautioned against buying Blu-ray players last year, and I'm sticking with the same advice this year.)

And there's one more good reason to wait on an e-reader: Apple. Nobody knows whether Apple will ever release a touch-screen tablet PC, and if it does, nobody knows whether the mythical device will function as an e-book reader. But it could! Apple seems to be close to announcing a big-screen iPod Touch-like device, and given Steve Jobs' history of discombobulating the media markets he enters, it seems wise to wait for Apple to move before going for any of the e-readers now on the market.

damn i was all set on buying one too, but this is making me rethink it. thanks man, one of the most useful posts ive seen on nt in a while

Back
Top Bottom