Any tips for basketball tryouts?

Originally Posted by blondsoccerplyr

Wear bright colored clothes so you stand out.

Do the LeBron chalk think before the tryout starts.

No BS...this might actually work. You should consider giving this a try OP
pimp.gif

If there is a loose ball, dive for it; that shows the most hustle (heard from several college head coaches)

And you said high school, so with that info, if there is a charge opportunity, take the charge. Coaches eat that up

Keep your head up throughout the whole tryout.

Just summing up what others said and what I think are important

Be loud on defense, call out picks and switches
Create plays for others
Do not force shots, but with that you miss 100% of the shots you do not take. So be confident in your jumper
Hustle, hustle, hustle

Good luck
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

Move without the ball. Remember your spacing.

Don't be a ball-hog. Play within the flow of the offense.

Get back on defense.

Thats hard during tryouts... especially if there's no set motion

... Unless these guys played organized ball together their soph year

Tryouts? If the teams aren't already set, then you guys aren't serious about basketball.

Does your school have camps? That's how you get to know the coaches on a personal level and when tryouts come you wont be just another face in the crowd.

Damn I miss playing ball
frown.gif

constantly think about how you're the best player on the court....sounds corny but it works

go after every loose ball even if you don't have the angle on it

be prepared to make as many plays as necessary on one defensive possession. a lot of guys make a stop and then relax and give up second chance buckets

5v5...always have your head up scanning the court. if guys see you're always looking to pass they will work harder to get open. everybody loves a pass first PG

as a PG you gotta tell guys what to do and where to be. keep everybody focused, keep team morale up

think about all your mistakes and how to correct them and make adjustments during the game. a lot of times you will find yourself in the same situation so do it better the next time

if you play ball everyday with the goal of working on your weaknesses you will get a lot better in 2 weeks

Your game is no longer crossovers and pull-ups, your game is tenacious defense, good communication, quick active hands, and ALWAYS being in control.

Watch some Tony Allen videos and focus on everything he does, EVERY team needs a guy like that.

Just play your game.  If you want PM me for some drills you can do to tighten up your game in 2 weeks.  Also, when at home watch bball on youtube and look at footwork, body position and things like that.  Last but not least 2 weeks is alot of time to improve your conditioning if you are already a decent athlete.  Run sprints now and you won't lose your legs at the tryout.  Goodluck my dude.

Don't be that guy you know the one that takes every shot when ever the ball touch his hands
laugh.gif

I remember trying out in high school. For the next two weeks you should hoop as much as you can and get used to scrimmaging those 5 on 5s. Play hard on each play and show the coaches you're willing to do whatever it takes to make the squad. Most coaches do basic drills like dribbling drills, layup lines, 3 on 2 to 2 on 1 drills, so don't blow any easy opportunities to show your skills. Another thing is, don't be nervous man, you got nothing to lose, and don't be intimidated by anything! Play with confidence, good luck!

Efficiency. Be the floor general and make the right plays. Limit turnovers to almost nothing and take very good shots.

The thing that will set you apart from the rest is defense, hustle and boxout. Most of the dudes will try and impress on offense. Get scrappy and dirty, coaches love that. Also be very vocal, especially on defense. Call out all backscreens and pindowns. Yell out switches on screens and make sure every man is accounted for on defense.

instead of being like everyone else trying to show off with fancy layups and stupid shots, be the guy dishing out good passes and making good plays

ya boy was the captain of the JV team my junior year
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

pull up threes on the fast break
use the euro step every chance you get
use your crossovers to make somebody fall
finger roll all lay ups
no look passes

......If you can pull all these things off successfully and consistently, then you are probably the best player on the floor and the team is yours now
pimp.gif

Also conditioning is very important. Conditioning is the most overlooked aspect of the game.

I can almost guarentee that you're coache will make you run suicides before and after tryouts. You got some time left so run suicides everyday after your workout and practice. Increase the number of suicides everyday.

Originally Posted by BroComeAtMe

instead of being like everyone else trying to show off with fancy layups and stupid shots, be the guy dishing out good passes and making good plays

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

%24+

If it's HS then make sure you play hard at all times. Hustle gets you somewhere in HS. College? Naw...

Originally Posted by 6 rings MJ

You should've ask this question a long time ago..

Yep.

Casein point: I made a thread around this time last year for my little brother after he was cut from 7th grade tryouts. I definitely helped him improve with the feedback I received. I played in HS but there's a bunch of people in s&T that are more knowledgable on coaching and drills.

He made the team yesterday. (8th grade)

The coach gave this fool a playbook (like 10 sheets of sets/plays) and a nickname already (Big V). I can't tell him nothing!!
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Shorty Doo Wop

Originally Posted by BroComeAtMe

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

%24+

it was only my second year playing basketball and my school was mostly african american, give me a break 
laugh.gif

-After each try out, ask Coach "Anything I can do better or that I need to watch out for"

-Develop a repitriae as a leader. I'm assuming you're not 6'5 or you'll be on the team already.

-When playing, try and work with guys you already know will be on the team (see: 6'5 guy) and feed him in the post or call plays specifically for him.

-When coach sees how well you two play together, then it's a for sure shot.

-Also, you might not make it for unobvious reasons, so ask to be on practice squad, if/when you get cut by not following what I say.

-Good luck

Originally Posted by HelloHipHop4000

Originally Posted by HTXMade

dude play good defense and "BOXOUT" every single shot!
Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Make all the hustle plays. If your coach knows what the crap he's doing, he knows every good team has those energy guys. Let the jumpshot be a deal sweetner.
Originally Posted by 504 D1 Prospect

talk LOUD on defense, hands up all the time in passing lanes, call out picks.

All good advice.

Back
Top Bottom