Any original ideas left for the dunk contest?

I just remembered that this is Howard's fourth season, so isn't he ineligible? Anyway, check out this interesting fact from the Dunk Contest Wiki page:

"Brent Barry is the only white boi to win an NBA Slam Dunk Competition."

no ones done a 360 behind the back, like in that adidas kobe commercial. or double elbows in the rim

id like to see the rim raised to at least 11' for the whole contest, not just for Dwight, but id like to see him try 12'

then everyone can try the same old dunks and see if they can make them

I dont pay attention to the contest as much I used to when i was younger but it always seems the format is off, theres not enough participants and they arentgiven enough total dunks. It just hasnt seemed like an event. A legite event.

Beyond that we here all like to see the top dunks no matter who is doing them. But they need to start getting the stars back in the contest. Thats what thefans really want, and that also helps to make it an event.

And lastly we've been over this before but they need to pony up some money to players. Have a sponsor throw in 20 grand or something. Say it will go to thewinner's charity if you have to. Just make it worthwhile.

There will always be new ideas as far as dunks go, but until the NBA changes the way they do things I think the contest is on its last legs or close to it.

Well, at least we'll always have a WNBA event

i don't like the idea of raising the rim etc

its better to keep things on an equal playing field.

everyone gets the same rim height
same ball
same rules

what u do with it is up to you. It's great if u can dunk on a 12 ft rim. Do something great with a 10 ft rim then.

I just remembered that this is Howard's fourth season, so isn't he ineligible
Ricky Davis was in the league longer than 3 years last time he was in it.
Believe it or not, though we have all seen the between the legs 360, it hasnt ever been done in the NBA Dunk Contest.
J-Rich tried it but didnt complete it.

How about get two balls alley ooped, catch both, then dunk them both?

^ Word to NBA Jam?
roll.gif

I think the rim should have a power meter to see how powerful a dunk is. Then figure out a way to factor it into the scoring for at least one of the rounds. Itwould give guys a reason to finish the dunks ferociously and add some more excitement. [emoji]169[/emoji]

Start under the basket, with the ball between your feet.
jump,while holding the ball between feet. flip it up towards your head
catch it complete the tomahawk.

The NBA better comply with some different ideas, like Dwight's request to raise the rim height, or the contest will very soon land back in the realm of the mid to late '90s when the NBA scrapped the contest altogether.
Raising the rim doesn't make much since to me, players can't do good enough dunk on a 10, plus it still take 30 attempts at the height itis. It's not a even playing field. Also the NBA droped the contest in 98 and in 99 there was no AS weekend, they brought it back in 2000. The contest wasfine in the 90's 3 rounds 6-7 contests, 1 or no replacement for a miss, the only bad one was 96 (their first attempt at the ******ed 2 year rule) thisdecade we have only had 2 good ones.

Star players today don't have the guts to compete on that stage. 15 Years ago player who actually did get hurt kept trying to get in it anyway. I rememberGrant Hill start it in 95 if your too hurt for the dunk contest don't play in the ASG and do dunks in warmups and during the game.

Here is a list of dunks i think are classic and will keep the dunk contest alive if players pull it off right.

Easy
-One handed windmill from outside the box, behind the dotted line.
-Statue of Liberty

Medium
-Reverse 360 dunks.
-360 windmill / one handed mill

Hard
-Free throw line
-Alley windmill

Insane
-off the backboard between the leg
-between the leg 360

Some ideas they can throw into the dunk contest
-Height challenge. Raising the rim 1/4 ft per round. Players who accomplish a complete dunk proceeds to the next round. The player who achieves a dunk at thehighest height wins.
Or vertical challenge. A bar is raised 1//4 ft per round. The player who can accomplish a complete dunk without knocking over the bar with the highest possibleheight wins.

-Trampoline dunk(they will have to find the dunk challengers a month ahead so they can get trampoline training)
-How dunks can you achieve over Mutombo. Players get 60 seconds to finish as many dunks over the Leagues oldest player.
-Horse

Some dunks that havent been in a dunk contest:
-Front flip dunk.
-Between both legs(not under) dunk
-between the leg...windmill
-throwing off the shotclock, doing a cartwheel, catch the ball in the air, behind the back dunk.

You guys are going in the wrong direction.

Instead of everyone trying to do something different, they should pick 5 STANDARD dunks and have everyone do those. It may seem plain but you know that if agroup of players do the same dunk, one dunker is going to do it better than the rest of the pack.

You can still have them do a couple of their own "freestyle" dunks in addition to the 4 standard ones...but I think judging the contestants all doingthe same thing makes the contest more legit and less subjective.

1.) Dribble from mid court (without traveling) dunk facing the rim.
2.) 2-hand reverse dunk.
3.) Lob bounce pass to self dunk facing rim.
4.) Alley-oop from a team member.

+ 3 Freestyle dunks.

You only get 3 tries per each freestyle dunk. If you can't get it on the 3rd try, you FAIL.

Best thing they could do to save all star weekend? 1 on 1

Melo vs. Lebron

Kobe vs. Grady

Paul vs. Deron

Garnett vs. Duncan

Arenas vs. Wade

Too many good matchups

i had honestly been thinking about them raising the rim height before a dunk but i didnt think it was be possible, can they change the height quickly?

Originally Posted by Drunken Cow

Some dunks that havent been in a dunk contest:
-Front flip dunk.
-Between both legs(not under) dunk
-between the leg...windmill
-throwing off the shotclock, doing a cartwheel, catch the ball in the air, behind the back dunk.

Word to NBA Live's Dunk Contest?
eek.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by worldbeefreeg

Best thing they could do to save all star weekend? 1 on 1

Melo vs. Lebron

Kobe vs. Grady

Paul vs. Deron

Garnett vs. Duncan

Arenas vs. Wade

Too many good matchups
yea that would be cool if they had like 10 matchups first up to 10 win by 2 or something... ish would spice up all-star weekend soooo much

I read ina sports illustrated that their was some guy from NY that could front flip dunk and do other crazy shhhhh

my suggestion

DUNK FROM THE 3 Point line
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom