Any Marathon runners on NT?

I am thinking about attempting my 1st marathon this spring, but am a bit hesitant about signing up because I think I might die on the course.

Any general training/preparation tips for a potential 1st timer? I just ran my 2nd 13.1 this weekend and I can barely make it to the 11 mile marker before Ihave to take a break and walk for a bit. Is there any chance that I could finish a full 26.2?

L.A Marathon?

Damn a lot of people at my gym have been training for it for a minute now.

I'd think you'd need at least 6 months of training.

If you can already do a half, then you are ahead of many people already. You just need to start training and raising your mileage. Check out runnersworld.com,they have alot of different marathon plans for beginnners. I'd recommend following one and adjusting it to what you are comfortable with. About a monthbefore the marathon you should be able to get close to a 20 mile run. Also I recomend doing 2 runs of 12+miles on consecutive days. The second day you will besore and it will help prepare your muscles for running the extra distance. Main thing is just to take your time and not increase your mileage to fast. Startout with about 4 medium length runs through the week and add a long run of about 10 miles on the weekend and then just go from there and increase every otherweek or so.

^ thanks for the tip. I never run on consecutive days because of the muscle soreness but I guess I have to prepare my muscles for that feeling sooner or later.Maybe I will try that today since the half marathon was just yesterday.

the advice about checking out runnersworld is good. i followed one of their plans for a half-marathon before doing my first one early last fall and it workedto perfection for me. I was 17mins over the time that i wanted to finish in but I did improve on my second half marathon.

as important as it is to train hard and push that personal boundary, rest is just as important. eat well, train hard, rest well and you should do just fine.depending on how your body reacts to pushing the limit in training you may or may not be able to do a full by spring time. I think its totally possible, youmight not quite be there and might have to take a break or two but so what. that thrill and enjoy when you cross the finish line so outta gas and running onnothing but sheer will, that one moment is worth the hardship.

No problem man. Just keep your pace slower than normal and do a short run, allow your body to recover after the race for a week or so with light workouts, thenstep up the training. If you are into keeping a log of your workouts or use a garmin or nike+ type gps too you should check out strands.com . It's a freetraining log that I have been using for the past year to keep track of my times and mileage, and there are alot of other people on there so you can check outtheir workouts and get more ideas.

Originally Posted by Jason23Richardson

Yep, marathon runner here, been for a couple years. Would love to answer your question, but I've got to run.
What a tool.
laugh.gif

I've never ran one myself, but trained with many guys that have.

Running the marathon itself... You'll never be trained enough to handle the marathon with ease. My best friend trained his #@# off for a good 4-5 monthsprior, and it was still grueling when he tackled it. But he did do it, and he did great, finishing second in his age group (We're talking Big SurInternational Marathon, one of the biggest in CA).

Just keep with the training and a relatively good diet, be prepared for a hellish day, and keep fighting. I was a cross country runner during high school andknow the pain, and I agree about the 10 mile mark I'm usually like ugh this is enough. Just keep it going and stay in shape, NEVER take too much time off.You'll be amazed how you can lose your conditioning so fast. Even through injury, keep the conditioning up.

get the book 4 months to a 4 hour marathon. it has complete training schedules for 3 hour to 6 hour marathons. i used it for my first and did a 4:15 marathonwith 4 months of training. i have since ran 4 marathons, 2 half ironman tris, and a full ironman. warning, it is addictive. good luck and happy training! letus know how it goes

Doing the Boston Marathon this spring, will be my 4th marathon. Marathon training is ALL about the weekly long run. If you are going to miss any workouts forany reason DO NOT miss your long run. You need to train your body to be on the move for 3, 4, 5 hours or however long it takes. Throughout your trainingpractice the race. Take your gels at every 5 miles or so, hydrate at every 1.5-2 miles, etc so when it comes race day you have your routine down and your bodyis used to it. Things get interesting around miles 18-20 and if you've prepared for it you'll be in a better position to deal with it than 80% of therunners. But above all, marathon training is 4 months long. !!%% will happen. Muscles will be sore. Blisters will occur. You need to deal with them and moveon. Honestly the marathon is easy, it's the training that's the hardest part. And once you finish your marathon grab a beer. You deserved it andNOTHING will taste any better.

Back
Top Bottom