Any Golfers on NT?

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Originally Posted by youngmoney

all i gotta say is the backswing is the most overrated part of the golf swing...remeber that
Ive never heard anything like that in my life.

If your backswing tempo is off , elbows fly everywhere, get way past parallel are off balance, or your hands are too far ahead or too far behind you arent gonna strike the ball well at all
I'd say there is truth to both... More to Gunna's though. I think that youngmoney was just referring to the fact that you can have peoplelike Jim Furyk with the most unorthodox backswing but still manages to strike the ball to play at a pro level. But backswing tempo is HUGE part of the overallswing

Just got back from Franklin Canyon, shot a 105.

A couple bad holes really kept me from breaking a 100.

Nice course, golfnow provided a good deal.

I hadn't played 18 since August and it shows as the last few holes I was wiped.

Par'd hole 9 before lunch but couldn't do well to start off on the back 9.

Bas - hit me up any time via email...I check that the most while at work and we'll figure something out no doubt.

Played my first 18 hole par 3 course today. I shot my best rounds ever with 34 (+7) on the front end and 39 (+12) on the back 9.

My highlight was a pitch shot that I holed 40 yards out with my 60 degree wedge with about a half swing. It was my only birdie of the day. Totally $##% myself,I couldn't believe it.

A couple notes though, my 25-35 yard chipping game needs work. I can't find that distance with my 60, but my next club, a pitching wedge, would be toomuch. I was told to choke down on it a bit so I'll practice that at the range soon. My inside 25 chipping with the lob wedge is improving greatly though.I'm getting a lot more 1-puts now that ever.

Can't wait to get back out.

What degree PW are you all playing with?

My wife just got me a basic one, I think 52, maybe 56?

as far as a backswing...Mine is picture perfect...and then the swing goes to hell on the way down
laugh.gif

so i can kidna see what he means, at least from my standpoint.

Originally Posted by Bastitch

I just bought a New 2004 Callaway 55 Deg SW off eBay. 13.50 son.
Beats the one my wife picked up at Sports Authority I suppose
laugh.gif

$29.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

laugh.gif

$29.
I'm seriously going to pick up one of those 30 dollar mallet putters from Sports Authority on my way home. I've been using the one thatcame with the set I bought off a co-worker, and the other day I tried out some of the mallet types at SA. It was the first time I could actually"feel" ball.

laugh.gif

$29.
I'm seriously going to pick up one of those 30 dollar mallet putters from Sports Authority on my way home. I've been using the one that came with the set I bought off a co-worker, and the other day I tried out some of the mallet types at SA. It was the first time I could actually "feel" ball.
i'm the opposite. Mallets feel way to clunky for me. I prefer blades. Have you checked slickdeals? They are always selling mallet type putterson the low, that are regular $250-$300.

Originally Posted by solesavage

laugh.gif

$29.
I'm seriously going to pick up one of those 30 dollar mallet putters from Sports Authority on my way home. I've been using the one that came with the set I bought off a co-worker, and the other day I tried out some of the mallet types at SA. It was the first time I could actually "feel" ball.
i'm the opposite. Mallets feel way to clunky for me. I prefer blades. Have you checked slickdeals? They are always selling mallet type putters on the low, that are regular $250-$300.
I think mallets work for me because my biggest issue is alignment. According to my bro-in-law, I have a natural ability to judge speed. But Ijust have this issue with alignment.

With the mallets, I can actually see if I'm swinging in a straight line and in the direction I want.

I'm not really looking to buy a great putter. The equipment will only take me so far as a poor putter. I just need to improve my putting. But I neverhad a chance to choose what putter I used since I just used what came from the set I bought off somebody.

And yeah, I'm a SD regular. I'm on there practically every day. I don't recall ever seeing putters (or anything golf-related) posted, but Idefinitely keep an eye out.

laugh.gif

$29.
My buddy rocks the "Tear Drop" and does work. It was quite the upgrade over his "Tyson's Chicken" putter his dad got(food business) from approximately 1970.

laugh.gif

$29.
My buddy rocks the "Tear Drop" and does work. It was quite the upgrade over his "Tyson's Chicken" putter his dad got (food business) from approximately 1970.

What's good with Buchanan on Saturday?

You down for 9? Hell, what about 18? I don't care.

I skipped out on playing on Sunday because my borther in law couldn't go and it turned out to be the nicest day in months. I was so pissed at myself.

We're scheduled to play Mare Island on Sunday, but the weather is so sketch I'm not sure we'll be able to get that one in.

What are course's policies when it comes to rain?

laugh.gif

$29.
My buddy rocks the "Tear Drop" and does work. It was quite the upgrade over his "Tyson's Chicken" putter his dad got (food business) from approximately 1970.

What's good with Buchanan on Saturday?

You down for 9? Hell, what about 18? I don't care.

I skipped out on playing on Sunday because my borther in law couldn't go and it turned out to be the nicest day in months. I was so pissed at myself.

We're scheduled to play Mare Island on Sunday, but the weather is so sketch I'm not sure we'll be able to get that one in.

What are course's policies when it comes to rain?
Damn man, we cannot get on the same page! Saturday is my birthday, actually, so I'm probably not allowed to go golfing. My friends and I wereplanning on playing on Sunday though. We played Franklin last week (during the week) and after a long week I opted to just rest on Sunday. I too was pissedthat I didn't go out and play. I hear ya on the weather, we aren't going to finalize our plans till like Friday.

Worst case, I'm taking time off around X-mas too...Eventually we'll link up,
laugh.gif
, no pun intended.

I've been golfing for a while, I'm about a 5 handicap and am completely infatuated with the sport. Don't play it too much because it will grab youand then it's game over
embarassed.gif

in the bag
Driver-Titleist 909D3
3 Wood - Titleist 909 F2
Hybrid - Taylormade 2009 rescue
Irons - Callaway X-22 Tour
52 56 60 Taylormade Z grooves
Scotty Cameron Red X putter

I just bought a pair of these today at the Nike Outlet for 19.97

http://www.tgw.com/custom....jsp?SUBCATEGORY_ID=8173

I was looking for some waterproof shoes since I plan on playing rain or shine through the Winter, and voila, I ran into these.
if you are serious about playing through rain, go get a golf umbrella. ive played in rain on a few occasions and if you are not prepared, its nofun at all. grips will get soaked and so will your glove.

and courses will only stop you from playing in the rain if there is lightning/thunder present.

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

I was looking for some waterproof shoes since I plan on playing rain or shine through the Winter, and voila, I ran into these.
if you are serious about playing through rain, go get a golf umbrella. ive played in rain on a few occasions and if you are not prepared, its no fun at all. grips will get soaked and so will your glove.

and courses will only stop you from playing in the rain if there is lightning/thunder present.
It all depends on the player. I love playing in the rain, but like yonostril said, get a golf umbrella and some rain gloves.

When I play in the Bay Area, we've never been stopped in the rain.

Bastitch - go to slickdeals and under the search type in "golf" I randomly run searches every so often.

Originally Posted by solesavage

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

if you are serious about playing through rain, go get a golf umbrella. ive played in rain on a few occasions and if you are not prepared, its no fun at all. grips will get soaked and so will your glove.

It all depends on the player. I love playing in the rain, but like yonostril said, get a golf umbrella and some rain gloves.

When I play in the Bay Area, we've never been stopped in the rain.

Bastitch - go to slickdeals and under the search type in "golf" I randomly run searches every so often.
i love it too unless its a straight downpour. otherwise its pretty nice for some reason.

Hey Bastitch, if you're you happen to be looking for an Odyssey White Hot XG-2 ball putter I may be able to hookyou up. I bought it because it felt really good at the golf shop ($189), but the 2 ball alignment is weird to me. It's one of the most popular putters,though

Originally Posted by K2theAblaM

Played my first 18 hole par 3 course today. I shot my best rounds ever with 34 (+7) on the front end and 39 (+12) on the back 9.

My highlight was a pitch shot that I holed 40 yards out with my 60 degree wedge with about a half swing. It was my only birdie of the day. Totally $##% myself, I couldn't believe it.

A couple notes though, my 25-35 yard chipping game needs work. I can't find that distance with my 60, but my next club, a pitching wedge, would be too much. I was told to choke down on it a bit so I'll practice that at the range soon. My inside 25 chipping with the lob wedge is improving greatly though. I'm getting a lot more 1-puts now that ever.

Can't wait to get back out.
Try getting a variety of wedges! I have a serious yardage gap in my bag because of it, but I compensate around the green. The scoring game isnot how far you hit it off the tee, but a strong short game and excellent putting. Putts can make up more than 40% of your strokes.

I carry 6 wedges in my bag:
48 degree/standard bounce: this is my pitching wedge equivalent, good for about 115 yards on a full swing.
52 degree/standard bounce: 95-105 yards
54 degree/standard bounce: 75-95 yards
56 degree/low bounce: I use this for 25-35 yard chips to the pin with a half swing, or for 50-60 yard full swings on approach from the fairway
56 degree/high bounce: This is my go to sand wedge for anything around the green.
60 degree/low bounce: I use this for 5-25 yard chips with a half swing, only close to the green. I refuse to hit it with a full swing because I almost alwaysscoop right under the ball.

The sacrifice to carrying so many wedges it that I have a fairly large distance gap in my bag between my woods and irons. I'm thinking about getting ahybrid 3 or 5 to fill the gap.

Driver: 225-280
3 wood: 200-225
5 iron: 185
6 iron: 165-175
7 iron: 150-160
8 iron: 140-150
9 iron: 125

Originally Posted by DinanBMW

Why can't you hit your woods? Do you top the ball, or do you slice? I used to have problems hitting them too, and now my 3 and 5 woods are my favorite clubs.

Last week, I really focused on getting my swing proper. I changed my grip from a baseball style grip to a standard golf grip and am focusing on my wrist break at the top of my backswing.

This resulted in the most consistent swing I've had with my irons by far in the 2 months I've been playing golf.

I think it's about ball position with my woods. I have been topping the ball, and when I do make contact there's a serious slice.

I need to work this out, somehow.
What do your divots look like? Is your swing coming from out to in? I have a pretty severe out to in swing that puts a slice on the ball, so Ihave to deliberately force myself to make an in-out swing path to delete my slice (with my longer clubs). I focused on keeping my left arm straight, and usingmy body more than my arms. An arms only shot will never have the power of a swing that uses pure weight transfer and a good shoulder turn. As soon as Istarted focusing on the mechanics of turning my hips, and really turning my shoulders on my back swing, I immediately added 50 yards to my drives. I went froma 200-225 yard slice to a 250-280 straight shot or slight fade.

now that its winter time, I am looking to upgrade all my clubs.. Irons I have no issues with upgrade and I just got a new Cleveland putter that I LOVE... mywedge game is on point, I need a new driver... want either a Callaway ft-9 tour, or Cobra Pro s9-1 D... both I hit at a demo and loved them both.. Need a new 3wood, and looking to try out an Adams' rescue wood/ or hybrid.

Back
Top Bottom