Answer honestly vol. If you were a pro athlete...

Originally Posted by KayCurrency

Taylor, Theres 24 hours in a day... I'm sure you can fit a Work out in everyday before the season starts... Whether its running or weight training, These amenities are available everywhere

I'd be a workaholic.

If I was in the pro's far as basketball, football, or boxing....I'd train all the time...no matter the season. I'd want to be the best.

This is actually a question that applies to everyone and not just athletes.

For the most part, the only things that separate people in terms of degrees of their "success" (which is all relative) is their drive and desire to do what the next man won't.

My boss is addicted to business. Has a wife and family that he spends time with. But he is working 24/7. Doesn't drink. Doesn't do drugs. Travels like mad for work and meetings.

That's what makes him EXTREMELY successful. That's what makes him a millionaire. That's what makes him the owner and president of a multi million dollar company that is expanding in a business that is rapidly shrinking (music).

Even when he's on vacation, he's Blackberry wired. Emailing, calling etc.

That drive and that work ethic is what separates the ELITE, from the Great, from the good, and so on.

Assuming everything else is roughly on the same level (education, opportunity etc.). Like Rice and Taylor were.

Originally Posted by illphillip

For the most part, the only things that separate people in terms of degrees of their "success" (which is all relative) is their drive and desire to do what the next man won't.

My boss is addicted to business. Has a wife and family that he spends time with. But he is working 24/7. Doesn't drink. Doesn't do drugs. Travels like mad for work and meetings.

That's what makes him EXTREMELY successful. That's what makes him a millionaire. That's what makes him the owner and president of a multi million dollar company that is expanding in a business that is rapidly shrinking (music).

That drive and that work ethic is what separates the ELITE, from the Great, from the good, and so on.

Assuming everything else is roughly on the same level (education, opportunity etc.). Like Rice and Taylor were.

THIS
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
at the people saying JT.Do just enough to get by? Lazy talk.I want to push myself as far as possible, no shortcuts. I'll rest when I'm dead.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Combination of both.. Workout early early morning, then hang with the fams. Do this 2-3x a week, then gradually more as the season comes closer.

What if Rice truly enjoyed working out and keeping his body in shape? What if that was his vacation?

I'm sure Jerry also took vacations
laugh.gif

I don't think he just worked 24/7, but if he did, props to him
But you can't take anything for granted and get lazy. One day you can be the top 3 in your position, next day you're struggling to stay on the practice squad. Some of those guys do the Taylor summer but get too comfortable, lazy, and let their dumb *#* friends spend their money and be yes men. Next season comes and guys' game is
indifferent.gif

I wouldn't workout no damn 5 hours a day I can tell you that. I will say though that I'd take a week off every few weeks or so to stay fresh and have some family/personal time.

5hrs/day is too much if you ask me. My offseasons in college I would do weigh training/cardio/then some type of sport specific. Three hours max. I guess if you're a pro, 4/5 hours a day isn't that crazy, but I need my relax time.

Everybody knows Jerry Rice...
Taylor, not so much

Jerry Rice is in the HOF and never will be forgotten
Taylor, not so much

Jerry Rice will make more $ off his name after football
Taylor, not so much

This isn't an option.  Either you have the personal drive and discipline or you don't.  Taylor didn't, don't act like dude was some kind of Iverson where he didn't practice but was an amazing player for years.  Guys like Jerry Rice and Kobe make the most of their talent and continue to work hard. 

By the comments in here half you guys never played a sport even on the high school level.  "lift every other day and do an internship"
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Jerry Rice.

especially in a sport like boxing.

You see someone like Floyd Mayweather for example, dude is ALWAYS in the gym (boxing and regular gym).

Then you see someone like James Toney. He had all the potential/natural talent to truly be a GOAT boxer, but dude was extremely lazy in the gym and would just party and party.
So James just let his natural abilities carry him through boxing.

"Legacy doesn't pay bills'- Floyd Mayweather 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

But seriously, I'd lighten up on the training once I know my spot is secure. I used to be one of those people who would criticize so and so for being lazy, not reaching their full potential, etc. But you make money to enjoy it and spend time with those closest to you. Look at it from their point of view.

I would love to see the comparison between Brady and Brees of work put in during the offseason.

I know for a fact that Brees is an absolute menace when it comes to training and it's definitely the biggest reason for his success.

Originally Posted by JordanXI45

Everybody wants to be the GOAT but nobody wants to put in the work.

Most people aren't mentally tough enough to do the things Jerry did. That's why he's not only the greatest WR of all time, but the greatest player the NFL has even seen.
Truth. Having that mentality is really tough. Even more so being a pro considering all the money they have, one is more likely to use it for enjoyment.

Originally Posted by illphillip

Agreed.
Jerry could have chilled like Taylor did but because he worked even after he was successful he went to another level.

Same thing with artists like Kanye. He's been described as having the work ethic of someone working on their debut album.

all i know is after i pocket a cool 10 mill, i wouldnt give a damn bout nuthin no no more. id prolly just retire after i get the money i want

I'd feverishly workout during the off-season, and I wouldn't get wifed up until I was 35, which would be the age I'd retire. I'd leave the sport I was in at that age no matter what (unless it's boxing/mma and there was a legacy defining fight on the horizon). 

Once I retire then I could lounge. Until then, I'm in the trenches.

Depends on my contract and the sport.

If I got 6-7 year multi million contract in basketball I'm banging $$%*+@ and doing all types of narcotics.

In football, minimal partying and banging women, narcotics only immediately after the season is over, work out before training camp a bit.

In baseball, [Eddie Murphy]PARTY ALL THE TIME[/Eddie Murphy], banging chicks with no rubbers, all types of narcotics since apparently it takes years for them to notice PEDs in some players, and what I got to train for?

Back
Top Bottom