and then Brandon Roy "RETIRED"... vol. he's NOT coming back

This really has me mad
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by airblaster503

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

They trying to Allan Houston my man
30t6p3b.gif

Hope he takes this season off and tries to heal and come back in better more stable condition.
Dude I don't think you are grasping the seriousness of his knee condition.  He has no cartilage there, that isn't something that can be fixed.  His knees are bone on bone.  Like the doctor told him, if he continues to play like that he isn't going to be able to walk when he gets older.  There is no healing and coming back from this.
He could still grind it out. I understand his condition, he just needs a little rest. The game plan POR was using for him wasn't bad at all and he flourished in the playoffs.

They trying to Allan Houston my man
30t6p3b.gif

Hope he takes this season off and tries to heal and come back in better more stable condition.
Dude I don't think you are grasping the seriousness of his knee condition.  He has no cartilage there, that isn't something that can be fixed.  His knees are bone on bone.  Like the doctor told him, if he continues to play like that he isn't going to be able to walk when he gets older.  There is no healing and coming back from this.
He could still grind it out. I understand his condition, he just needs a little rest. The game plan POR was using for him wasn't bad at all and he flourished in the playoffs.
He flourished in the playoffs?  He had one good game man.  He would never be able to hold up a full season, add to that the condensed schedule there is no way.  You say he could grind it out, sure maybe he could, but is it worth it to not be able to walk in the future?  Hell no.  There is more to life than the game of basketball, just glad he realized that before things got even worse. 

there's no way to fix those knees. at the end of the day, basketball only lasts so many years for a player. i'm sure he factored in what his life would be like after basketball if he kept playing right now and he made the right decision for himself.

If dude was healthy last year Blazers could have won it all smh, sad ending...Penny of this era.

He flourished in the playoffs?  He had one good game man.  He would never be able to hold up a full season, add to that the condensed schedule there is no way.  You say he could grind it out, sure maybe he could, but is it worth it to not be able to walk in the future?  Hell no.  There is more to life than the game of basketball, just glad he realized that before things got even worse. 
I'm not all that sure he realized it but I feel he could've played a few more seasons in the right system with 6th man minutes and a walker at end of that career isn't that bad.

We'll see in the future if he tries to make a comeback.

The guy was literally minutes away from retiring following the last season (I was even thinking he'd consider it during the season, but he's a fighter). I'm more surprised that this is "news" to everyone.

His knees were so bad.

Good riddance.

had no idea they were THAT bad.

Bone to bone contact. Imagine the grueling 82 games/season with that knee.

I'm not all that sure he realized it but I feel he could've played a few more seasons in the right system with 6th man minutes and a walker at end of that career isn't that bad.

Seriously man?
It's pretty clear you do not grasp the severity of "no cartilage" and "bone on bone" with statements like this.

So yeah play out the scenario and be a cripple the rest of your life? Wow sounds like a great plan there buddy 
eyes.gif

laugh.gif
this dude probably works as a stem-cell research scientist.

What are you smoking?
indifferent.gif
roll.gif
alien.gif

Originally Posted by mogzz04

Seriously man?
It's pretty clear you do not grasp the severity of "no cartilage" and "bone on bone" with statements like this.

So yeah play out the scenario and be a cripple the rest of your life? Wow sounds like a great plan there buddy 
eyes.gif

Dude is a dummy or just trolling.  If Roy continued to play he wouldn't be on a walker, he would probably be in a wheel chair.  And even if it was a walker, you dude is trying to say playing a few more years of NBA basketball makes it worth it
eek.gif
roll.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
  B.Roy has a family.  Retiring now and being able to do normal things with his kids as they grow up >>> Grinding out a couple more years as a bench player that isn't going to be able to play every game in the NBA.

Originally Posted by damnTHOSEjs

laugh.gif
this dude probably works as a stem-cell research scientist.

What are you smoking?
indifferent.gif
roll.gif
alien.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Damn couldn't keep it up anymore. Took the wind out of me
laugh.gif
I thought yall would've caught on after "grind  it out"

But real talk he could've made it in this shortened season if POR agreed to send him to a contender.

That's crazy because when he came into the league, he had so much potential. He went on a good run and demolished some teams..
I'm really upset about this. Hope he enjoys his life. Feel bad for Blazer fans too.

STATEMENTS FROM BRANDON ROY, PAUL ALLEN AND LARRY MILLER REGARDING BRANDON ROY

BRANDON ROY
"This is a very difficult and painful day. I love the game, I love the Portland Trail Blazers and I love our fans, but after consulting with my doctors, I will seek a determination that I've suffered a career ending injury, pursuant to the rules of the collective bargaining agreement.

"My family and health are most important to me and in the end this decision was about them and my quality of life. I want to thank Paul Allen, Larry Miller, Coach McMillan, the entire Trail Blazers organization and our fans for all of their love and support during my time in Portland. It was a great ride."

PAUL ALLEN
"Like every Blazer fan, I am very sad to learn that Brandon's playing days have ended. Up until Thursday night we were looking forward to seeing him back on the court Friday for the first day of practice.

"I want to personally thank Brandon for all he's done as a Trail Blazer, on and off the court. He is a true All-Star and we all rooted for him as he gave us so many amazing moments during his five years as a Blazer."

LARRY MILLER
"Brandon Roy will always be a Trail Blazer in our hearts and minds. He was an All-Star and a warrior every night that he stepped on the court and gave everything he had to help us win. He was a role model on and off the court, and through his leadership he turned us into a winning franchise once again."

tired.gif

God damn shame.  Started following Brandon when I was a freshman at the UW in 2006 when Roy was a senior, dude played like a poised vet his rookie season in the league and I instantly became a fan.  Had a career year in the 08-09 season, and I honestly thought that Portland would be in the running for multiple 'chips during the next decade (lol).

Class act; real humble, and an all around genuine, good dude.  Dude's game was like fine wine, man.  Wasn't the quickest or most athletic player out there but he had a lot of what today's guards lacked: a fundamentally sound game and easily the most ambidextrous/versatile guard in the league.  I agree with dude above, he IS more skilled than D-Wade but Wade relies a lot more on athleticism and is the better player. 

I read that he almost declared for the NBA draft in 2002 straight outta Garfield before he committed to UW? Things might've been diff if he jumped straight into the league.

My 2nd fav player of all time behind Iverson.  Gd luck to him & his future endeavors. 
tired.gif
tired.gif
tired.gif

Originally Posted by hongcouver604

I read that he almost declared for the NBA draft in 2002 straight outta Garfield before he committed to UW? Things might've been diff if he jumped straight into the league.
He never would have made it. Roy was LAZY in high school. His coaching staff was terrible as well, so they definitely didn't inspire him. Always the most talented player on the court, but consistently outplayed by other teams/players who wanted it more (Aaron Brooks comes to mind). He didn't truly change until about halfway through college. Four years served him well, that's for sure.

Ive been a B-Roy fan since I was in HS with him so this news hits hard to me.
frown.gif
frown.gif
 All his fans knew it was coming but we just hoped that maybe there was something that could be done medically which would allow him to bounce back.I dont know what is aboutthe players I support because growing up my favorite player was Penny and in todays game it was/is Brandon...two players that we will sadly always have toimagine "what if..."

I could write a long piece about what he meant as a player to me but simply stated he was agreatplayer on the court and classy person off it whether that was atGarfield HS, the University of Washington or down in Portland. What I fear is his brilliance on the court will be lost to those in future generations as he may not have beenone of theflashiestor mostathletic players but hewas always in controland was damn near unguardable.

You will be missed on the court...

635747.jpg

frown.gif

Back
Top Bottom