Alternatives to the Geek Squad?

I have a virus on my other comp and I cant even start it unless its in safe mode. If i try to start it up regularly it just keeps going back to the mainstartup screen then flashes black and does it all over again. I went to BB and told the guy there and said it would cost $199 to look at it and get rid of thevirus. Is there any other stores or methods to get rid of the virus/fix the comp without resorting to geek squad??

The same thing happened to my HP. If I may ask what computer do you have because I may know the problem.

Originally Posted by belle155

I have a virus on my other comp and I cant even start it unless its in safe mode. If i try to start it up regularly it just keeps going back to the main startup screen then flashes black and does it all over again. I went to BB and told the guy there and said it would cost $199 to look at it and get rid of the virus. Is there any other stores or methods to get rid of the virus/fix the comp without resorting to geek squad??
Start in safe-mode and do it yourself. (anti-virus program)

Or just reformat.. that's what they are probably gonna do anyway.

Originally Posted by southzeztpdot

buy an antivirus or download AVG free version. Run in safe mode and runt he program..

He can't do that. The only option left is to reformat.

The problem that he is having is that he is directed to a screen where he has to put it in safe mode for it to run but yet when he clicks it he is redirectedback to the same page.

OP, I hope you have your stuff saved elsewhere other than the computer b/c if you don't say goodbye to all of that stuff on it.

its an HP desktop. i didnt even download anything so i dont know how i got a virus. i asked the "GS" guy about just buying an antivirus program but he said thats more preventative only and it would do no good now. i dont know how i would even be able to run the program even if i did get it because i dont think i can connect to the internet while in safe mode so i couldnt get an update to the antivirus program anyways.
tired.gif
GS told me the same thing but I wasn't going to drop300 for them just to have to reformat it. The software wouldn't do any good now. It's a hardware problem.

You're better off buying a new computer that is not Hewlett Packard. The same thing happened to my laptop and my dad said the same thing happened to ourdesktop. HP = Fail. Get a Dell.

its an HP desktop. i didnt even download anything so i dont know how i got a virus. i asked the "GS" guy about just buying an antivirus program buthe said thats more preventative only and it would do no good now. i dont know how i would even be able to run the program even if i did get it because i dontthink i can connect to the internet while in safe mode so i couldnt get an update to the antivirus program anyways.

Originally Posted by Lazy B

Originally Posted by southzeztpdot

buy an antivirus or download AVG free version. Run in safe mode and runt he program..

He can't do that. The only option left is to reformat.

The problem that he is having is that he is directed to a screen where he has to put it in safe mode for it to run but yet when he clicks it he is redirected back to the same page.

OP, I hope you have your stuff saved elsewhere other than the computer b/c if you don't say goodbye to all of that stuff on it.

thats exactly right. I can still save the stuff when i go into safe mode though! i put a bunch of stuff onto USB disks. Im scared to plug in my externalhard drive in there and recover the rest of it because i dont want the virus to get into the external hard drive also. i dont know if thats possible., i onlyknow drugs, i dont know anything about technology. im about to just buy another computer but i have so many programs on this one i dont want a new one if ican avoid it

local computer shop, there should be like a computer outlet or something or other around your way. they've helped me out quite a few times with this *ahem*dell... not really expensive either. prolly around $70 something for similar problems.

system restore FTW

computers aren't as hard as it seems bruh..once you system restore, take some time to learn your system.

well i have a couple of methods of fixing this, and it's going to require the original copy of your Operating System, your windows xp cd so you can accessrepair mode. There might be a Corrupted file due to the virus that's not allowing your computer to boot up.

i work in IT for a living. get a hard drive to USB cable..back all your data on another external hard drive. wipe the machine out and reinstall the OS anddrivers.

staples has a similar service....its called "easy tech"....i work there and a system restore is only 70 bucks compared to that best buy rape price

anyone else got some advice?
I don't want to get too technical, like the guy above me because i know you couldn't do it yourself if you tried. So i'll give you ageneric route to get some progress moving for you. Once you're in safe mode, start>run>msconfig>startup tab>disable all, then restart yourcomputer into normal mode. it won't completely stop the viruses but it'll get you somewhere.

if the virus still persists, i recommend you listen to the guy above me and back up your data on an external hard drive when you're in safe mode. Find aworking pirated windows software and reformat your machine and re download the appropriate drivers for it. to find those drivers, you must first find hp modelnumber located somewhere on your PC, then look it up on hp support website.

third option, you need nerdy friends that know what they're doing without being hesitant.

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom