Almost all cops are this way.

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

Originally Posted by aaronpayumo

Originally Posted by Ecook0808

No he didnt. What was his probable cause? He patted me down. Didnt have any smell of alcohol or weed. He was looking for drugs obviously.

So ur saying for every traffic stop, the cops have probable cause to go through our cars, trunks and glove compartments??

I thought you said probable cause was that you were nervous? Probable cause doesn't even have to be obvious. If a cop thinks you're suspicious, he can legally search your car. You could have told him that you did not grant him permission to search your car.

At least a month leave?
laugh.gif
It's obvious you don't know the law. You can google this all up if you don't believe me.

Tell me, did you get a ticket for the headlight?

You're totally wrong on this. The cop can use the "nervousness" as "probable cause" But when the "suspect" gives all the information that the officer needs and asks for the officer can no longer detain the "suspect." Keeping him there longer for no apparent reason other than his own bias or suspicion is an unlawful detention that can result in a civil lawsuit.
And I did get a ticket for the tail light
indifferent.gif

if you're innocent I wouldn't worry about it, just be patient and let the cop do his thing. were you in fact hiding something or lying?

Originally Posted by TurboMan

I've had one bad run in that changed the way I view them for the most part.

I was in Newport, going down to a bonfire. Making a right, I made eye contact with a cop going the other way. My back headlight was out, he caught up to me and pulled me over. I pulled over right away. Cop comes up, starts asking me where Im going etc...I hand him my paperwork, w/e...He asks me what I live by (mind you I live maybe 15 mins from Newport) I told him by CSUF ( my college) and he says "It's not that close" even though it's a 5 min drive to campus...He asks if I have been drinking, or doing drugs 3x and I say no, I've never smoked in my life.

He asks me and my passenger to step out of the car and we do. Another cop car rolls up, and pats us down, sits us on the curb. Meanwhile, other officer goes through my car and trunk and doesnt ask me. He says he has probable cause because I was nervous, and didnt look at him straight in the eyes.

Of course I had nothing, but ruined my night and made me wait more than an hour. Wish I got his name, would have had a case against him right away. Had to be because I am a 21 year old male, but I couldn't believe it.
What exactly made him a bad cop? Wasting your time?
laugh.gif

He asks permission for mostly everything, but the search. You gave him permission for all of that. I'm pretty sure if he asked you if he could search your car, you would have said yes.

Both parties were well-behaved. I really don't see the problem.

This really made you change the way you see cops?
tired.gif
aaronpayumo just loves bothering people.

Telling the cop you weren't drinking or getting out of the car for them does not have the same weight as them searching the car without reasonable cause. Regardless, the cops are not above the law, therefore they should be expected to adhere to what they're allowed to do and not what is assumed what would've happened if they asked for permission.

Since he obviously showed no probable cause for search, the cops definitely stepped out of bounds by searching without a warrant.

No matter how menial the infraction is, cops are enforcers of the law and therefore should be expected to know and follow all of the laws. Don't be an idiot and try to defend the cops when they obviously +%++!+ up here.
Here is a moron that is just guessing.

I was in Newport, going down to a bonfire. Making a right, I made eye contact with a cop going the other way. My back headlight was out, he caught up to me and pulled me over. I pulled over right away. Cop comes up, starts asking me where Im going etc...I hand him my paperwork, w/e...He asks me what I live by (mind you I live maybe 15 mins from Newport) I told him by CSUF ( my college) and he says "It's not that close" even though it's a 5 min drive to campus...He asks if I have been drinking, or doing drugs 3x and I say no, I've never smoked in my life.

He asks me and my passenger to step out of the car and we do. Another cop car rolls up, and pats us down, sits us on the curb. Meanwhile, other officer goes through my car and trunk and doesnt ask me. He says he has probable cause because I was nervous, and didnt look at him straight in the eyes.

Of course I had nothing, but ruined my night and made me wait more than an hour. Wish I got his name, would have had a case against him right away. Had to be because I am a 21 year old male, but I couldn't believe it.
laugh.gif

He asks permission for mostly everything, but the search. You gave him permission for all of that. I'm pretty sure if he asked you if he could search your car, you would have said yes.

tired.gif

Telling the cop you weren't drinking or getting out of the car for them does not have the same weight as them searching the car without reasonable cause. Regardless, the cops are not above the law, therefore they should be expected to adhere to what they're allowed to do and not what is assumed what would've happened if they asked for permission.

Since he obviously showed no probable cause for search, the cops definitely stepped out of bounds by searching without a warrant.

No matter how menial the infraction is, cops are enforcers of the law and therefore should be expected to know and follow all of the laws. Don't be an idiot and try to defend the cops when they obviously +%++!+ up here.
Where did I guess? Peer edit for me, pumpkin. I based all my opinions off what he said and what you said.

Who cares if everyone was well-behaved? Cops conducted a rather "arbitrary and capricious" search on Ecook (Samson v. California). And Ecook if you took the LSAT you should have known the basic 4th amendment and therefore stood up for yourself.

My man, I didn't know they were searching until the end...

The other cop had me between the 2 SUV cop cars and I couldn't see until he got to the trunk.

Nothing I could do, I didn't get his name to file a complaint because I was so heated and just wanted to get out of there.

laugh.gif

tired.gif

Where did I guess? Peer edit for me, pumpkin. I based all my opinions off what he said and what you said.

Who cares if everyone was well-behaved? Cops conducted a rather "arbitrary and capricious" search on Ecook (Samson v. California). And Ecook if you took the LSAT you should have known the basic 4th amendment and therefore stood up for yourself.
So how were the cops arbitrary or capricious? Were they harassing the kid?

If this happened to you, how would you have "stood up for yourself?"

This is not even close to Samson v. California. The jury favored the cops on that one. You think you can win a jury over with this scenario? 
laugh.gif

A study conducted by Neal Trautman, Director of The National Institute of Ethics and presented at a conference of The International Association of Chiefs of Police in 2000 had stunning statistics concerning the police "Code of Silence." It provided the following about police recruits:

Twenty-five basic law enforcement academies from 16 states took part in the research by administering and collecting 1,016 confidential questionnaires completed by academy recruits. The findings included that:

•79% said that a law enforcement Code of Silence exists and is fairly common throughout the nation.
•52% said the fact that a Code of Silence exists doesn’t really bother them.
•24% said the Code of Silence is more justified when excessive force involves a citizen who’s abusive.
•46% said they would not tell on another officer for having sex on duty.
•23% said they wouldn’t tell on another cop for regularly smoking marijuana off duty.

Here is some of the information the study provided about current officers:

The sampling of current officers was comprised of 2,698 fulltime officers from twenty-one different states. A total 1,116 of the 2,657 officers asked to complete a confidential questionnaire, did so. This equates to a response rate of 42 percent. An additional forty-one officers provided confidential interviews. The following facts were revealed.

•In response to "Please describe the first time you witnessed misconduct by another employee but took no action," 46 percent (532) advised they had witnessed misconduct by another employee, but concealed what they knew.
•In response to the question "At the time of the incident occurred, what did you think would happen if you revealed what had taken place?" the five reasons listed most often were: I would be ostracized (177 times); the officer who committed the misconduct would be disciplined or fired (88 times); I would be fired from my job (73 times); I would be "blackballed" (59 times); the administration would not do anything even if I reported it. (54 times)
•73 percent of the individuals pressuring officers to keep quiet about the misconduct were leaders.
•Eight percent (40) of the 509 officers who admitted to intentionally withholding the information about officer misconduct were upper administrators. The upper administrators of the average American police department comprises only five percent of the agency.
•The average age of an officer who covered up an incident for the first time was 31.4 years of age.
•The average years of experience when they first took part in the Code of Silence was 8.2 years.
•449 of the 532 officers were male, while 74 were female.
•Of the 532 who confessed they had participated in the Code of Silence, 252 were pressured to keep quiet by the officer(s) who committed the misconduct and 118 felt pressure from uninvolved officers. The remaining 162 officers advised they covered up the incident even though they were not pressured.
•Excessive use of force was the most frequent situation over which the Code of Silence occurs, with 217 excessive use of force circumstances.

When you factor in the prevalence of the Code of Silence, how can anyone say with any degree of certainty that police excessive force and other abuses of authority are a rare phenomena? The significant evidence of the Code of Silence says otherwise.

I remember my friend was a DD and drove my car to a club and I was drunk my friend was drunk and we got pulled over apparently my friend did end up drinking so they took him in and told me and my friend we couldn't drive my car back home cause we were intoxicated so they called a tow truck. They told us to go across the street where they continued to search my car open my trunk, all this happening when I was across the street and when I tried to cross to talk they waved me off, hmmm...

So how were the cops arbitrary or capricious? Were they harassing the kid?

If this happened to you, how would you have "stood up for yourself?"

This is not even close to Samson v. California. The jury favored the cops on that one. You think you can win a jury over with this scenario? 
laugh.gif
When did the cops ever have a legitimate reason to search him at all? Because he looked nervous and didn't stare into his eyes?

The problem with this that ecook probably wouldn't win the lawsuit anyway. Cops do it all the time. That's why he has a reason to conclude that cops are bad because of his experience and because they pretty much search whenever because deciding who looks nervous is so damn subjective.

You're right that I used a bad example, it dealt with parolees and warrant-less searches, but you get the point. They had no business searching ecook, and the truth is that this probably happens all across the country because some cops are out there to get charges on people with criminal backgrounds.

In a survey of a random sample of U.S. emergency physicians, virtually all said they believed that law enforcement officers use excessive force to arrest and detain suspects.

The sample included 315 respondents. While 99.8 percent believed excessive force is used, almost as many (97.8 percent) reported that they had managed cases that they suspected or that the patient stated had involved excessive use of force by law enforcement officers.

Nearly two thirds (65.3 percent) estimated that they had treated two or more cases of suspected excessive use of force per year among their patients, according to a report of the survey published in the January 2009 issue of the Emergency Medicine Journal.

Dr. Jared Strote of the University of Washington, Seattle, and a multicenter team also found that emergency physicians at public teaching hospitals were roughly four times more likely to report managing cases of suspected use of excessive force than those at university or community teaching emergency departments.

Blunt trauma inflicted by fists or feet was the most common type of injury cited in cases of suspected use of excessive force, followed by "overly tight" handcuffs.

Most emergency physicians (71.2 percent) admitted that they did not report cases of suspected use of excessive force by law enforcement officers.

A large majority (96.5 percent) reported that they had no departmental policies on reporting their suspicions or they did not know of a policy to guide their actions, and 93.7 percent said they had received no education or training in dealing with these situations.

Originally Posted by The Technodrome

I remember my friend was a DD and drove my car to a club and I was drunk my friend was drunk and we got pulled over apparently my friend did end up drinking so they took him in and told me and my friend we couldn't drive my car back home cause we were intoxicated so they called a tow truck. They told us to go across the street where they continued to search my car open my trunk, all this happening when I was across the street and when I tried to cross to talk they waved me off, hmmm...

All of you were drunk. They had no reason to search your trunk huh?
indifferent.gif

Aaron- Every experience you have had with an officer has been exceptional?? If I was completely in the wrong with my situation, I wouldn't be mad.

I know there are some bad seeds, but this left a sour taste in my mouth. There definitely are good officers out there, I know many that I believe are good. I think these two cops (they were both young themselves) were looking for weed since I'm a young college kid.

But hey, who am I to make assumptions?

uh....why'd they tell us to cross the street and NOT ask permission, and actually they said we were "drunk" as in like white boy wasted me and my boy weren't drunk like they made us to be, I obviously remember the whole story and just cause my breath smells like liquor without blowing into a breathlizer doesn't proclaim me drunk, I guess my definition of drunk is different than being "blacked out" or I guess your definition of drunk my definition of drunk is tipsy feeling good

Dude looked more like a sheriff than a cop

But I was talking to a cop the other day... and I asked what in the hell makes you wanna be a cop.. do you guys just like ruining lives over petty things and taking people away from their family.. he said "Man we just get a rush from throwing people in jail"
indifferent.gif

Idk maybe its just me... but I know me personally I have never known one person including myself who has been helped/protected by a police officer.... then again can't really blame them.. its more the laws and the power that goes to their head

Originally Posted by The Technodrome

All of you were drunk. They had no reason to search your trunk huh?
indifferent.gif

For what? To see if he has more beer in the car?

Originally Posted by 951guero

pimp.gif
, im hoping to be a Cop by next year, and im definitely taking a good guy approach
until you fail to reach quotas and money gets tight... you be pulling people over, left and right.

Wow, finally watched the video and I cant believe this guy thinks all cops are this way. I have never, ever, ever and I mean ever had an interaction with a police officer that has gone this way.

And im pulled over weekly. Ive had everything from a cop tell me to lift up my shirt sleeves to see if I had track marks, To a state cop calling me an A-hole, to a cop actually running my pockets while I was still in the passenger seat of my girls car. Cops around here are !$+@@. I hate them mother +%%@#+$.

And on top of that Ive been jumped by 7 dudes (thankfully just needed like 4 stitches in my lip, coulda been much worse) and when the cops got there they actually told me they were gonna arrest me because I was fighting in the street. Yeah serve and protect my @%$.

Originally Posted by AllenIversonFan01

Wow, finally watched the video and I cant believe this guy thinks all cops are this way. I have never, ever, ever and I mean ever had an interaction with a police officer that has gone this way.

And im pulled over weekly. Ive had everything from a cop tell me to lift up my shirt sleeves to see if I had track marks, To a state cop calling me an A-hole, to a cop actually running my pockets while I was still in the passenger seat of my girls car. Cops around here are !$+@@. I hate them mother +%%@#+$.

And on top of that Ive been jumped by 7 dudes (thankfully just needed like 4 stitches in my lip, coulda been much worse) and when the cops got there they actually told me they were gonna arrest me because I was fighting in the street. Yeah serve and protect my @%$.

What the hell you doing to get pulled over on a weekly basis?

Im young in a BMW with 20s. And surprisingly Italian so the whole minority thing doesnt come into play. Granted I have been mistaken for a light skinned PR more times than I can count because I dont carry myself like a "White Boy", but still. I never get a ticket for any of the stops unless they feel like being real petty about something with my car. But other than that I just get questioned, pulled out of the car questioned again and then im on my way. It really is a pain in the @*%. Even my boys who are all Spanish or Black be like damn, we dont even get pulled over that much.

Being a police officer in DC we encounter things like this on a daily basis. As a police officer we cant really get involved with protestors just ask what they are doing and move on. Had he said something to them he would be infringing on their First Amendment rights. Which could bring a lawsuit on the police officer.

seniosoul- There is no such thing as a quota. I hate when people say this because it makes it seem like we are just out there to give tickets. My friend I suggest you do a ride along to see what we do. Come to dc I will be glad to help you out with one.

Back
Top Bottom