Air Jordan V retro OG - Nike Air - Fire Red/Silver tongue - May 2, 2020

Yeah white durabuck has yet to be replicated as far as I know.

you are correct it has not been replicated as of yet. the original company that made the material went out of business their patents expired and nothing has happened since the early 2000's , the 2000 retros were the last of the shoes produced in real Durabuck. it may not be a big deal to some but for me, these shoes along with the 4's and 6's were originally designed By Tinker to be constructed out of Durabuck. so to me its literally the biggest detail that has been lost and we won't get back until another company reproduces this material.

you are completely wrong ogs were constructed entirely of durabuck ! not just the heal or the collar the entire shoe! same as 2000 retros

I'm pretty sure that was the case for the metallics but the other colorways had a durabuck collar, heel and leather uppers. Also for all those complaining about Durabuck, it was a produced by a separate company in which Nike bought materials for production. the company went out of business which is why they've never been able to perfectly replicate it.

"The United States Shoe Corporation patented the synthetic leather and registered the trademark “Durabuck” in 1991. Nike bought the material from them for production of their shoes. The United States Shoe Corporation’s trademark was subsequently cancelled in 1998 and they did not seek to renew it because the company actually stopped manufacturing Durabuck. Here is a link to the trademark info: http://trademarks.breanlaw.com/74176812-durabuck.html"

Source: https://sneakerhistory.com/2015/08/17/durabuck/

Those pictures immediately make me want two, but I'll try to control myself. The leather looks so lovely, and the shape is on the nicer side of recent Vs.

I'm surprised anyone was expecting them to randomly replicate the white Durabuck OG uppers :lol: They've just been slapping leather/pleather in its place for a good two decades at this point, that's dead my g.

you are completely wrong ogs were constructed entirely of durabuck ! not just the heal or the collar the entire shoe! same as 2000 retros

I’m sorry but 2000s had what I would just call white leather. If they were technically branded “durabuck” then fine but it had the appearance and feel of white leather. Frankly Idk what you’re talking about in regards to the 2000s. I’ll give you your argument on the OGs. And that’s slightly because those IMO were mostly what I would deem to be white leather.

Great for those that want it, but it'll be a meh release to me. We've seen great "Remastered" Jordans (11s, 10s, etc) why can't we expect the same for 5s? ****, even that all 3m 7 cardinal was great besides them switching to an all 3m. The tongue, lack of durabuck heel and blue sole can kick rocks. Anyway, Ill continue looking for an OG pair on Ebay. My 99s will get another swap and ill go on about my business.

they never put Durabuck on just the heels, what your referring to is the black and infrared 6's originally had different textures which were contrasting Durabuck on the heels but again the entire shoe was Durabuck. look at the pics of the fire red og 5's o difference in the heel material and the rest of the shoe. can we get some close up shots of that shoe please showing the material and textures please. the og hang tag stated that the shoes were constructed of an all Durabuck upper that was machine washable. Nike has never advertised leather shes as machine washable.... ever

I’m sorry but 2000s had what I would just call white leather. If they were technically branded “durabuck” then fine but it had the appearance and feel of white leather. Frankly Idk what you’re talking about in regards to the 2000s. I’ll give you your argument on the OGs. And that’s slightly because those IMO were mostly what I would deem to be white leather.

you are completely wrong not even close to leather, after seeing this im sure you never owned a pair of ogs or 2000 retros. the white and metallic silvers were leather yes but fire reds not so much.

Last edited:
you are completely wrong not even close to leather, after seeing this im sure you never owned a pair of ogs or 2000 retros. the white and metallic silvers were leather yes but fire reds not so much.

All good man. I’m sorry they’re not up to your standards. I just don’t associate white shoes with durabuck. I actually think they nailed it and I’m excited to see these release again especially with NA and good leather. No way I could be mad.

O ogSlater Nike or Jordan never advised putting your shoes in a washing machine here's a pic of the original care instructions.
7CD46F7F-7F34-4241-B952-FA564FBE0D3E.jpeg

Further the hangtag never states the shoes are made entirely of Durabuck. Durabucks TM ended on 1998 and so any further reiterations of a given model after would've been made with other materials. Also though it was marketed as Durabuck portions of the shoes in fact are leather. Im trying to find a photo but have one for the 6s which similarly was marketed as Durabuck but below is a photo of the cataloguing for the soon to be released colorways. The Infrareds (like the Metallics) are marketed as Durabuck however the Sport Blues and Maroons (white upper like the Fire Reds, Grapes etc.) are listed as leather.

78E764FD-9E0B-4981-92B3-61980A15AA92.jpeg

O ogSlater Nike or Jordan never advised putting your shoes in a washing machine here's a pic of the original care instructions.
7CD46F7F-7F34-4241-B952-FA564FBE0D3E.jpeg

Further the hangtag never states the shoes are made entirely of Durabuck. Durabucks TM ended on 1998 and so any further reiterations of a given model after would've been made with other materials. Also though it was marketed as Durabuck portions of the shoes in fact are leather. Im trying to find a photo but have one for the 6s which similarly was marketed as Durabuck but below is a photo of the cataloguing for the soon to be released colorways. The Infrareds (like the Metallics) are marketed as Durabuck however the Sport Blues and Maroons (white upper like the Fire Reds, Grapes etc.) are listed as leather.

78E764FD-9E0B-4981-92B3-61980A15AA92.jpeg

yes sport blue and maroon 6's were indeed leather. I read the machine washable thing somewhere it might have been in a nike catalog I didnt just make that up. this old nike literature is not easy to find online ive been looking and cant seem to find anything.

I've never owned an OG or even seen one in person so take my word with a grain of salt but as far as I can tell the original, 1990 release, leather based Jordan 5's only used Durabuck™ on the molded ankle collar given that the collars often yellowed with age and even cracked and chipped with wear like Durabuck™ while the rest of the upper retained its original color depending on the care they received.
s-l400 (1).png

s-l400 (2).png

Last edited:
I've never owned an OG or even seen one in person so take my word with a grain of salt but as far as I can tell the original, 1990 release Jordan 5's only used Durabuck™ on the molded ankle collar. Given that the collars often yellowed with age and even cracked and chipped with wear while the rest of the upper retained its color depending on the care they received and I don't believe genuine leather yellows.
s-l400 (1).png

s-l400 (2).png

As a thing to note that you reminded me from your pictures when applying leather honey on my OGs they seem to absorb better in the toebox and midfoot area as those are the spots I usually reapply a thin amount after a few hours.

im pretty sure the grapes were part leather part Durabuck. all the others that MJ wore in games were all Durabuck. his game-worn shoes were normally durabuck from 4's to the 7's. the 6's that he wore on court colorways were Durabuck the others ie maroons and sport blues were leather.

im pretty sure the grapes were part leather part Durabuck. all the others that MJ wore in game colorways were all Durabuck. his game-worn shoes were normally durabuck from 4's to the 7's. the 6's that he wore on court colorways were Durabuck the others ie maroons and sport blues were leather.

im pretty sure the grapes were part leather part Durabuck. all the others that MJ wore in games were all Durabuck. his game-worn shoes were normally durabuck from 4's to the 7's. the 6's that he wore on court colorways were Durabuck the others ie maroons and sport blues were leather.

Why would they only make Grapes have a portion of leather and Durabuck and make production harder on themselves by making all the similar white uppered colorways different? Isn't it more likely and logical the others were also made with a combination?

Back
Top Bottom