Air Jordan 9 “University Blue” Thread December 5th $190

It’s actually quite simple:

It’s costs A LOT of money to fix tooling. You’re looking in the rage of ~$500k to fix the midsole molds for a true FSR range of tooling.

If this was a more popular model where Nike could recoup that investment by pushing “remastered 9s” quickly, they would probably do it but 9s sell “well enough” that they don’t need to do this. It sucks because they totally screwed up the molds in 10 or so years ago and it’s unlikely we’ll see them fixed anytime soon.
Do you have footwear manufacturing experience?

No, just supply chain management experience. Worked with a lot of chemical/raw material manufacturers including some in Nike’s supply chain, ironically.
Do you have a pic or can you describe what a jordan mold looks like? I tried doing a search but all that came up was fungus covered jordans! Always been interested in this.

Thanks!

Do you have a pic or can you describe what a jordan mold looks like? I tried doing a search but all that came up was fungus covered jordans! Always been interested in this.

Thanks!

Here ya go:

0F99E7D3-81EF-4DA8-82C7-4C28130F21DD.jpeg

Pretty much all outsoles are made this way. The only exception would be something like an Ultraboost or Epic React where the outsole is essentially the same as the midsole with rubber simply fused to the bottom for traction (in this case they use shallow molds for the outsole, not deep ones like this). AJ 1s have a rubber cup sole (where rubber extents to the midsole) so I imagine those midsole/outsole molds are one piece as well. Polyurethane midsoles and uppers are molded and either stitched and/or glued to the outsoles. AJ 5s originally actually used a cardboard strobel board that is stitched to the upper before being attached to the midsole. The recent 2020 NA Fire Red 5s actually go back to this OG method, believe it or not. Anyways, I’m rambling since I quite enjoy discussing this stuff (as nerdy as it is) but I hope this is/was informative!

Maybe an under the radar spot? No idea, worth a try I think. Seeing how there’s not much interest hopefully everyone can cop

Here ya go:

0F99E7D3-81EF-4DA8-82C7-4C28130F21DD.jpeg

Pretty much all outsoles are made this way. The only exception would be something like an Ultraboost or Epic React where the outsole is essentially the same as the midsole with rubber simply fused to the bottom for traction (in this case they use shallow molds for the outsole, not deep ones like this). AJ 1s have a rubber cup sole (where rubber extents to the midsole) so I imagine those midsole/outsole molds are one piece as well. Polyurethane midsoles and uppers are molded and either stitched and/or glued to the outsoles. AJ 5s originally actually used a cardboard strobel board that is stitched to the upper before being attached to the midsole. The recent 2020 NA Fire Red 5s actually go back to this OG method, believe it or not. Anyways, I’m rambling since I quite enjoy discussing this stuff (as nerdy as it is) but I hope this is/was informative!

this is a CNC machine making the actual mold, keep in mind only the rubber or plastic parts on a shoe are made from a mold. the atual upper is made from a flat pattern. you can also note Nike owns their own plastics and rubber division where most of the plastic and rubber elements of a shoe are made. including the air-sole units.

its actually pretty cool. Asia does the sewing and gluing but the real tech comes from the USA. Asia is literally just cheap labor.

Last edited:
this is a CNC machine making the actual mold, keep in mind only the rubber or plastic parts on a shoe are made from a mold. the atual upper is made from a flat pattern. you can also note Nike owns their own plastics and rubber division where most of the plastic and rubber elements of a shoe are made. including the air-sole units.

Oh for sure, the air-sole units are all proprietary, wasn’t saying Nike outsourced their production. I posted that in response to the question re: pictures of the molds. Nike has fantastic material scientists that change the compounds in a lot of the materials used as well. For example, I even noticed a difference between the polyurethane used in 2014 Black IR 6s and the recent 2019 Black IR 6s. The newer poly used seems to be less stiff and has a slight weight difference as well.

Oh for sure, the air-sole units are all proprietary, wasn’t saying Nike outsourced their production. I posted that in response to the question re: pictures of the molds. Nike has fantastic material scientists that change the compounds in a lot of the materials used as well. For example, I even noticed a difference between the polyurethane used in 2014 Black IR 6s and the recent 2019 Black IR 6s. The newer poly used seems to be less stiff and has a slight weight difference as well.

Any plastics or rubber formula can be changed for any number of reasons. they can play with the density of any material they chose to formulate.

Any plastics or rubber formula can be changed for any number of reasons. they can play with the density of any material they chose to formulate.

Oh I know, I’m just impressed with how they’ve improved the poly in the retros recently. Like wearing those 2014 vs 2019 retros is like night/day.

Oh I know, I’m just impressed with how they’ve improved the poly in the retros recently. Like wearing those 2014 vs 2019 retros is like night/day.
yeah, it has been nice I agree. there's been a few recent retros that i have noticed that things are finally going back to when Nikes were actually comfortable on your feet.

Back
Top Bottom