Air Jordan 39 (XXXIX) (July 23, 2024 Release date)

I had someone go in store for me and they were 3rd in line, and they still didn't have my size.

Ended up going the resale route off goat. Anyone know what the turn around is for AMM to usually ship out releases like this ?

Office Sloth GIF by Disney Zootopia

Threes shipped quickly. They should have given you an estimate. I think the threes was like five days.

Just seen the 39's on hand for the 1st time today...

I was one of those that really didn't like them in picture at first (which is not in my usual ways).

Now someone here made the parallel between the AJ3 and the white pair(Sol), which made me see the shoes with a different pair of eyes and I like 'em more and more.

Still a few design cues or choices I'm not too keen about but...

I must admit the blk/sail (Lumière) seem to do it for me since they hide many of the design cues that bug me a bit AND they are way way waaaay nicer in person. Pictures really don't do them justice.

I like the cut, the quality of the materials, the attention to details(medial part of the outsole, MJ's engraved signature on the right shoe, as well as the image inside the tongue, the sown on ''Type 23'' on the insole), really dig the shoe box, the toe box, the (at least)BLACK translucent outsole, really like the outsole pattern, bottom part of tongue, the upper part less...but in black it does the job and I still give it a 👍. The white parts highlight the shoe well and in person you don't get the amazon smile vibe, at least in this particular colourway.

Has anyone tried them with the white laces on yet?

In my limited time with them on foot, I was able to understand/ appreciate or not, what everyone here are sayin' and I feel that every comment I've read in that regards here seems perfectly on point.

My first impression is that they feel really good on foot, the fit is just wow for me and I really see why people would rock them casually because the comfort is awesome. The Zoom X is really plush on the heel side. But to my surprise they feel much harder than expected under the forefoot and I find that to be a little bit ackward/unusual. Maybe it needs a little bit of getting used to, like many runners that have Zoom X where it requires some time for you to adapt to the feel of the shoes because it is so different. The 39 are no exception as they don't feel anything like the runners overall either, except for that part under the heel if you land on it. They stiffer forefoot feeling is good for court feel for those who like it that way though. The part I like less is the heel lateral instability because of the height and most probably due to the fact that the outsole is not chamfered or flared whatever the proper term might be. Coming back or should I say still rehabbing from a severe ankle injury for the last 12 months now, that part of the shoe unfortunately doesn't inspire me confidence at all and even if I were injury free and with no injury history, I'd be really concerned with the risks of rolling an ankle badly and suffering a nasty injury. Maybe I'm wrong in my assertion, maybe the shoes just need some getting used to, but it's definitely a no go for me in that respect, at least for now and I think maybe they missed out a little bit on that part. I don't feel at ease just stepping in my heel while trying them on, so I can't foresee myself playing in them. They scare the sh outta me for now, whereas I started to walk in react or zoom x runners no problems and not much worries recently.

While not perfect, it is a very decent shoe overall, respectable effort from JB and it deserves more credit than I originally gave it. Just needs a little bit of tuning and refinements. I can understand why people would love it and buy this shoe and at the same time why for some others it might not totally click. I never thought I would be the one to say that, but I wouldn't be mad if they'd continue in that direction for the 40...as long as they correct/tune better the front to back midsole balance, lateral ankle stability issue with the outsole and put a cf spring plate...and maybe a little wider colour palette next time please JB? ☺️

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom