AIR JORDAN 3 BLACK CEMENT - NOVEMBER 23, 2024

Yup all the 1s, 2s, and 3s in 94/95 were drastically different from the OGs. I give them the benefit of the doubt because who would have known in 1985 where jordan's life and career were going to go, and that his shoes would continue to be coveted. Although they all went on sale back then, right? Burn me at the stake but I always kinda liked 94 3s over 88

I often wonder, do we like the shape of OGs because it's actually better or because it's what it's "supposed" to look like? What if the OGs looked like 2018s, would we want them to look that way because they're OG?

Yup all the 1s, 2s, and 3s in 94/95 were drastically different from the OGs. I give them the benefit of the doubt because who would have known in 1985 where jordan's life and career were going to go, and that his shoes would continue to be coveted. Although they all went on sale back then, right? Burn me at the stake but I always kinda liked 94 3s over 88

I often wonder, do we like the shape of OGs because it's actually better or because it's what it's "supposed" to look like? What if the OGs looked like 2018s, would we want them to look that way because they're OG?
This. Me personally, I prefer an aerodynamic/sleek shape. So if the OG was 2018 but they ended up retro’ing something sleeker (‘88, ‘94, ‘01, ‘23/24 like) I’d like those more. While I love the OG shapes, there are many retros in which I’d take that shape as well with no problems without going “Man these ain’t OG, I want OG.” I’d happily take the retro shape of 1994 3s, 2000 6s, 2002 7s, 2002 Foams, 2004 12/13, 2023 Playoff 8 (😂), 2024 MB 4, 2024 Columbia 11, etc. and never have to buy another rendition of the model again due to either them not producing it or it being some limited bs.

for us it's always OG = best regardless of sleekness or shape or quality

That is kind of the wild thing about this. Those shoes are only 6 years apart from the OGs, and they were already changing things. It took them 30 years!! 3-0, to fix the red behind the tongue.

I think the red behind the tongue was actually an upgrade. So many of those OG pairs were wonky and jagged because of the way the material was wrapped behind the tongue. That never really bothered me.

I think the red behind the tongue was actually an upgrade. So many of those OG pairs were wonky and jagged because of the way the material was wrapped behind the tongue. That never really bothered me.

Yeah, there's some details we covet that may never have meant to be by Tinker's own desired designs based on ability to manufacturer. Tongue shape was notoriously crap/jagged. Whether it was supposed to be rolled back or not I don't think we know, but the OG look does have some familiarity effect we generally crave.

Frankly, had Tinker been approved to remove NA from the back tab and replace with the Jumpman, we know now he 100% would have done so. He got approval to remove the swoosh from the side, but not the back tab branding. Does it look better to us to have NA b/c that's what we remember, or is it actually a better design. I prefer NA personally, but I'd only trust Tinker re. what design he thought would look best.

Know a guy who owned one of those stores. Shoes were real. They had to pay a premium to their JB rep to get their allocations. The early prices were to help offset that premium.
That's what's up. I used to stop in at least once a week to see what they had in stock. I remember people getting robbed right outside the hotdog spot 😆

Boosters selling iceberg and Moschino, bootleg mixtapes and Shea butter... don't forget the hood books and incense.... lolololololol

Fulton st in 2024 is what capitalism looks like...

Not mine but they look a lot better on this pair😳

IMG_2753.jpeg
IMG_2755.jpeg
IMG_2754.jpeg
IMG_2756.jpeg

Yeah, there's some details we covet that may never have meant to be by Tinker's own desired designs based on ability to manufacturer. Tongue shape was notoriously crap/jagged. Whether it was supposed to be rolled back or not I don't think we know, but the OG look does have some familiarity effect we generally crave.

Frankly, had Tinker been approved to remove NA from the back tab and replace with the Jumpman, we know now he 100% would have done so. He got approval to remove the swoosh from the side, but not the back tab branding. Does it look better to us to have NA b/c that's what we remember, or is it actually a better design. I prefer NA personally, but I'd only trust Tinker re. what design he thought would look best.
I think it’s a better design for the time period it came out. In 1988 MJ wasn’t bigger than the entire brand Nike had built and whether it was Air Max or trainers we saw Nike Air on the back. The shoe being consistent with the rest of the line made sense up until the designs and Jordan brand eclipsed Nike/Nike Basketball.

For those who were in Brooklyn back in the 90s -early 2000s. Fulton st had those ocky store who used to get jordans super early. But they would charge 3-4 hundred for em.

This is where Fab used to get alot of his kicks early. It wasn't unusual to see a pair of that wasn't coming out for a few months .

I don't know if those guys were selling the first "reps" that were indistinguishable from retail or not. Or they just had the connect?

Definitely was a time to be alive... I bought the ginger xivs like 2 months early.. paid like 250... at the time which was a BIG deal

That brings back memories man.. Fulton street and if you was a Queens cat, then Jamaica Ave coliseum IYKYK. Those pairs sold on Fulton street stores were legit. They just got them early from their Nike Jordan reps. I didn't get beat in the head with the prices for being a loyal customer to them. So I paid maybe slightly above. I got my Black cement 3's at the end of May for around $150. Which was not terrible compared to retail for $100 which I tripled up on release date in July.

Back
Top Bottom