Air Jordan 13 "Flint" May 30, 2020

I also found out recently that the OGs are wearable so I’m doing the same thing. Slap some comfortable insoles in em and maybe a reglue and boom. That soft toe leather. I had the blk blue lows in 98 so that’s what I got recently DS and for only $246!
E6B5E36C-942C-4197-93B2-6099CB8DC189.jpeg

I consider that a steal especially since those were one of the few OGs that I had the pleasure of owning. Ive been wearing these around the house and so far no separation. I will be ready. And keeping an eye out for more OGs.

One thing I like about this 2020 release of the flints is the grey is lighter than the 2005 the last release I bought, so close to the OG which I always loved, that light grey. And that 2005 release was an unmitigated nightmare. The pods started bleeding PINK on me. PINK. I love how some consider 2005 to be in an era of good quality retros. It’s hilarious. The 2004 bred 13s were on point except for the toe leather. I remember the grey toe 13s also had the bleeding pods issue but the flints having that problem was absolutely unacceptable.

This is one of my favorite things I’ve seen on NT, and why there will be no forum that is ever better. All of us who bought heavy in 02-05 era know that Jordan Brand quality was a dumpster fire until 2015. Shapes off, materials were cheap AF, paint chipped instantly on all 3’s-5’s that you wore. It was just the worst era for quality, and I’m now an “older head” that buys more now because the quality is so significantly better.

The 2005’s were not great, and the 2010 release is borderline insulting. What project manager just didn’t know the OGs had 3M so they forgot it!?

Time and time again, Jordan has been impressing me on every new model launch. How great are those fire red IVs? The RPE shape on the 3’s is heading in the right direction, and they are for once making these shoes as close to the original product as we’ve seen.

admittedly, the 94 retros and some of the 01 product were great, but I truly think we are seeing Jordan being run better than ever.

This is one of my favorite things I’ve seen on NT, and why there will be no forum that is ever better. All of us who bought heavy in 02-05 era know that Jordan Brand quality was a dumpster fire until 2015. Shapes off, materials were cheap AF, paint chipped instantly on all 3’s-5’s that you wore. It was just the worst era for quality, and I’m now an “older head” that buys more now because the quality is so significantly better.

The 2005’s were not great, and the 2010 release is borderline insulting. What project manager just didn’t know the OGs had 3M so they forgot it!?

Time and time again, Jordan has been impressing me on every new model launch. How great are those fire red IVs? The RPE shape on the 3’s is heading in the right direction, and they are for once making these shoes as close to the original product as we’ve seen.

admittedly, the 94 retros and some of the 01 product were great, but I truly think we are seeing Jordan being run better than ever.
Facts!

Do you remember the launch of the Olympic 7s in 04 everybody On here went nuts on the plastic thin leather on those. Still ran through 3 pairs of those :nthat:

I’d have to disagree with this. I was in high school and college during those years and played ball in my Js. They literally would last until there was no grip on the bottom of the shoe. I’m talking 2-3 years of hooping. Didn’t matter if it was indoor or outdoor. Nowadays, I’m lucky to get a year out of any Nike basketball shoe I actually play in. Now the shoes just break or fall apart at the seams. Shoes are garbage material/quality wise compared to the early 2000s in my experience.

I’d have to disagree with this. I was in high school and college during those years and played ball in my Js. They literally would last until there was no grip on the bottom of the shoe. I’m talking 2-3 years of hooping. Didn’t matter if it was indoor or outdoor. Nowadays, I’m lucky to get a year out of any Nike basketball shoe I actually play in. Now the shoes just break or fall apart at the seams. Shoes are garbage material/quality wise compared to the early 2000s in my experience.
Interesting. From a retro-vs-OG standpoint, the mid 2000s were awful. The shoes may have lasted in terms of not falling apart, but JB produced some of the absolute most garbage remakes of classics during those years, in terms of faithfulness to the originals. The Military Blue IV retro was one of the biggest jokes I've ever handled in person. It finally put me off of even bothering buying almost any Jordans for years.

That said, not every retro or shoe back then was trash. The 07 Metallic V retro was pretty solid as I remember it, and the 2006 black-toe 14 (I know a lot of people didn't like the added ribbing on the upper) was of substantially better quality than any other 14 I've seen since then. The shape was good, the cushioning was great, the collar even had the OG-style memory foam. Overall, though, that was a dark, dark era LOL.

^ dark era indeed. I do agree the shoes didn’t typically fall apart. The shapes and details were just awful, and as was stated the Military’s may be the single worst shoe JB ever produced. I got them off ISS NDS for $50 because people were so disgusted. Militaries and Carmines were among the most sought after grails at the time, so it was a huge letdown.

interesting point on the 07 Black V’s. They are actual tanks. I gave mine to my dad BEAT to upgrade to the latest drop, and he’s still rocking them.

tbh, Nike and Jordan have seldom struggled with construction. Zoom BB collar ripping and AJ28 zoom bags popping are a notable exception, but overall, they typically hold up. Also, retros in general have always had more durable traction than the recent shoes since the soft rubber they use now burns out so quickly.

The issues with the dark ages J’s were material quality, craftsmanship, and frankly just missing on the details. The 2010 flints, for instance, didn’t have 3M because a simple product manager oversight. Paint would get destroyed on all models, and really random issues with color bleeding often popped up on white J’s.

To some extent, I think this was also reflective of Nike’s manufacturing strategy. At the time, many of the Asian companies still sucked from a quality perspective and were selling “grey market” product off the lines like crazy. Seems to me like Nike has likely deepened relationships with strong manufacturers and invested in quality control. The”remastered era” took a few years to really get going, but I feel like we are just a year or two away from a black cement 3 with the correct toe shape for the first time!

The first 2 paragraphs I couldn’t agree more with.

I wish I could agree with the part I underlined. Unfortunately the last shoe that I was really impressed with the quality were my og 13s in 1998. The fire red 4s have so many qc issues :smh:

I appreciate where you’re coming from though and hope to feel the same way. It’s frustrating.

The first 2 paragraphs I couldn’t agree more with.

I wish I could agree with the part I underlined. Unfortunately the last shoe that I was really impressed with the quality were my og 13s in 1998. The fire red 4s have so many qc issues :smh:

I appreciate where you’re coming from though and hope to feel the same way. It’s frustrating.

IVs quality control may not have been the greatest, but I’ll be damned, they for the shape right! And frankly we sometimes overhype the quality on the OGs - lots of flaws on those as well.

IVs quality control may not have been the greatest, but I’ll be damned, they for the shape right! And frankly we sometimes overhype the quality on the OGs - lots of flaws on those as well.
We must live on entirely different planets. The Fire Red IV shape is mediocre at best. Same goes for all recent IV retros the past few years. I got a "good" pair of Fire Reds, and only decided to keep it out of nostalgia since it was the first Jordan I ever had, in 1989. There is absolutely nothing to thank Nike and JB for on this retro, other than the fact it's at least not as bad as the previous two Fire Red IV retros LOL. It's a long way away from being special, though. And then the crap materials and awful QC just make it worse.

Last edited:
We must live on entirely different planets. The Fire Red IV shape is mediocre at best. Same goes for all recent IV retros the past few years. I got a "good" pair of Fire Reds, and only decided to keep it out of nostalgia since it was the first Jordan I ever had, in 1989. There is absolutely nothing to thank Nike and JB for on this retro, other than the fact it's at least not as bad as the previous two Fire Red IV retros LOL. It's along way away from being special, though. And then the crap materials and awful QC just make it worse.
Agreed! Ogs didnt have the best qc either though but they had consistent shape an toe boxes for sure. Here's some greatness
20201204_163538.jpg
20201201_191121.jpg
20201201_191045.jpg

Attachments

• 20201201_191121.jpg
    20201201_191121.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 20201201_191121.jpg
    20201201_191121.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 20201201_191045.jpg
    20201201_191045.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 38
Who cares?!! Wear your shoes. It's 2020, dudes is still complaining. Just get it in your head already, NIKE AND JORDAN WILL NEVER GET IT RIGHT. Don't like it? STOP BUYING.

I am with you on the dont like it stop buying campaign, but I cant agree with the who cares.

If people didnt care about sneakers then why have Niketalk? People complaining led to the "remastered" program, however brief that was. Even the shape on the 3s have improved recently. Recraft air max 90s another example. Things are slow moving but complaining has helped a little as annoying as it is on every release.

-edit- How could I forget Nike Air?

Last edited:
10 years ago Nike Air was "never" going to come back either :wink:

Let's be real, it came back when they read this board and an army of people said they'd "pay $200+ to have NA back idc idc idc" now look at it. GRs are going for $200+ with NA and some of the same complaints as previously. So yeah, I understand the NA, but look what came with it in those 10 years.

Let's be real, it came back when they read this board and an army of people said they'd "pay $200+ to have NA back idc idc idc" now look at it. GRs are going for $200+ with NA and some of the same complaints as previously. So yeah, I understand the NA, but look what came with it in those 10 years.
Can you prove that? Serious question.

Can you prove that? Serious question.

It's known that Nike in the past use this board for product research on what to put out. It's been discussed that they designate people to watch the board. Over so many releases leading up to the NA being put on retros, there has been gradual price increases from $160 to $170 to $190 to $200+ in a relative short amount of time. There were enough posts talking about they'd pay premium for NA on retros. There was discussions among Nters on here about making the retros with NA exclusive, to separate them from other JB/Nike retros. You think they didn't see that as justification and opportunity to raise prices on retros by dangling that small carrot but not totally improving everything? It's a shell game, you just have to decide when you want to stop playing.

Unfortunately they didn’t get the shape right either. Really not even close :smh: From the toe box to the low height of the shoe.

I wish I could agree. I really do.

We must live on entirely different planets. The Fire Red IV shape is mediocre at best. Same goes for all recent IV retros the past few years. I got a "good" pair of Fire Reds, and only decided to keep it out of nostalgia since it was the first Jordan I ever had, in 1989. There is absolutely nothing to thank Nike and JB for on this retro, other than the fact it's at least not as bad as the previous two Fire Red IV retros LOL. It's a long way away from being special, though. And then the crap materials and awful QC just make it worse.
Well said. 👏

Picked up some OG Flints and dayum the quality makes me regret even picking up the stiff retros and I bought 3 pairs :smh:
48FD53D4-1700-4CB3-AF67-92351145A77D.jpeg

Will post more pics here since there’s no OG thread. Maybe I should start one. Love OG 13s hnnnnnng

GRs are retailing for TEN BUCKS LESS without NA. $10 :rofl:

It's known that Nike in the past use this board for product research on what to put out. It's been discussed that they designate people to watch the board. Over so many releases leading up to the NA being put on retros, there has been gradual price increases from $160 to $170 to $190 to $200+ in a relative short amount of time. There were enough posts talking about they'd pay premium for NA on retros. There was discussions among Nters on here about making the retros with NA exclusive, to separate them from other JB/Nike retros. You think they didn't see that as justification and opportunity to raise prices on retros by dangling that small carrot but not totally improving everything? It's a shell game, you just have to decide when you want to stop playing.
Meh, circumstantial at best. I think those discussions came from too small of a percentage of the consumer base for Nike to make that kind of decision from.

Either way, the statement that Nike Air was never coming back was proven false, as will this statement about the shape.

Meh, circumstantial at best. I think those discussions came from too small of a percentage of the consumer base for Nike to make that kind of decision from.

Either way, the statement that Nike Air was never coming back was proven false, as will this statement about the shape.
Yea I think it makes sense that they’d take in the free feedback here but nobody knows how much they actually incorporated into product plans. They obviously don’t incorporate most of the widely discussed opinions and suggestions directly.

Back
Top Bottom