After seeing this, I wondered how many Atheists celebrate Christmas and why?

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

Christmas isn't a religious holiday dude. Not in this day and age.
It wasn't religious originally either. The real question is "After actually knowing historical facts, I wondered how many Christians celebrate Christmas and why?".

Partial answer as to why: After Rome adopted Christianity, the church wanted to drown out pagan religions, so they merged several holidays that were celebrated around winter solstice. Since they didn't already have a day to celebrate Jesus' birth (because no one actually knew when he was born), they attributed it to that day. I think it's great that "Christmas" to going back to it's roots, everyone can celebrate it just because it's a good time for celebration, take back what the church has stolen. Just about every aspect of Christmas as we know it can be traced back to pagan or secular roots. Read a book... and no, not that book. Merry Christmas.

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

Christmas isn't a religious holiday dude. Not in this day and age.
It wasn't religious originally either. The real question is "After actually knowing historical facts, I wondered how many Christians celebrate Christmas and why?".

Partial answer as to why: After Rome adopted Christianity, the church wanted to drown out pagan religions, so they merged several holidays that were celebrated around winter solstice. Since they didn't already have a day to celebrate Jesus' birth (because no one actually knew when he was born), they attributed it to that day. I think it's great that "Christmas" to going back to it's roots, everyone can celebrate it just because it's a good time for celebration, take back what the church has stolen. Just about every aspect of Christmas as we know it can be traced back to pagan or secular roots. Read a book... and no, not that book. Merry Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom