Accounting Majors, Accountants, College Students in Business come on in.

dude...drop accounting now! im not just saying that because you're having trouble with basic accounting(which is also a reason), but because actual accounting work sucks. I'm doing my masters in accounting now and regret picking this major. definitely would go in another direction if i could pick again.

In accounting right now. It's not something I enjoy, nor find easy, but very doable. I have realized that accounting just takes a lot of work on your own reading the book, doing practice problems, and getting help on things you don't understand. Accounting just builds on skills you have already learned and it is VITAL to take the time to make sure you really learn and understand the basic concepts and skills required otherwise you will be absolutely #@#$#$ as you progress on. Read the book, take notes, read it again, and practice. If your taking accounting at a 4 year they should have some tutoring or extra help available that you can look in to and would definitely help.

I'm glad I saw this post, just motivated me to open up the book and do some studying.

In accounting right now. It's not something I enjoy, nor find easy, but very doable. I have realized that accounting just takes a lot of work on your own reading the book, doing practice problems, and getting help on things you don't understand. Accounting just builds on skills you have already learned and it is VITAL to take the time to make sure you really learn and understand the basic concepts and skills required otherwise you will be absolutely #@#$#$ as you progress on. Read the book, take notes, read it again, and practice. If your taking accounting at a 4 year they should have some tutoring or extra help available that you can look in to and would definitely help.

I'm glad I saw this post, just motivated me to open up the book and do some studying.

I'm an accounting grad student now and did big 4 internship.

Don't take shortcuts. You really need to understand why you are doing what you do. If you memorize stuff you're eventually gonna forget it and also you will have a hard time applying what you have learned to new situations. The basic routine stuff you shouldn't even have to think about. The #+%@ you see in the real world is so much different than the book. For the most part a lot of things do make sense logically.

Don't take shortcuts. You really need to understand why you are doing what you do. If you memorize stuff you're eventually gonna forget it and also you will have a hard time applying what you have learned to new situations. The basic routine stuff you shouldn't even have to think about. The #+%@ you see in the real world is so much different than the book. For the most part a lot of things do make sense logically.

im in ibanking now... and accounting and writing are the only two things from college that i have found helpful in my day to day job at all... study up, it doesn't come easy. learning accounting is exactly like learning a new language, you NEED to put the practice in to succeed. the good news is, just like a new language, almost anyone with enough dedication can learn and master it. id be happy to help you if you have specific questions, although accounting is certainly not my specialty as it is for some NTers

im in ibanking now... and accounting and writing are the only two things from college that i have found helpful in my day to day job at all... study up, it doesn't come easy. learning accounting is exactly like learning a new language, you NEED to put the practice in to succeed. the good news is, just like a new language, almost anyone with enough dedication can learn and master it. id be happy to help you if you have specific questions, although accounting is certainly not my specialty as it is for some NTers

Originally Posted by KingJames23

which big 4 did you intern with? i have an interview with Grant Thornton tomorrow morning and E&Y on Thursday morning. I also interviewed with KPMG and Mcgladrey&Pullen two weeks ago, which didn't turn out so well
embarassed.gif

any advice for me as a candidate for the interview?

which big 4 did you intern with? i have an interview with Grant Thornton tomorrow morning and E&Y on Thursday morning. I also interviewed with KPMG and Mcgladrey&Pullen two weeks ago, which didn't turn out so well
embarassed.gif

Accounting was the worst. 
frown.gif
 I remember my professor didn't teach us #$+%. She put us into groups and expected us to figure it out. 
indifferent.gif
 Hopefully you have someone who will actually teach you something. And don't miss any classes. I made that mistake. Once I missed one class, it felt impossible to catch up.

Accounting was the worst. 
frown.gif
 I remember my professor didn't teach us #$+%. She put us into groups and expected us to figure it out. 
indifferent.gif
 Hopefully you have someone who will actually teach you something. And don't miss any classes. I made that mistake. Once I missed one class, it felt impossible to catch up.

Finished my undergrad in June, accounting major. Main tip I have for the first accounting class is that you HAVE to really learn and understand the terms you're taught in the beginning, they're the foundation for everything you do in that major from then on out. It's a whole system in itself, that's why it's so dense in the beginning.. most people haven't learned a thing about the concept of accounting prior to the class, but once you get into the major the principles you learn become second nature (hopefully). It was the first class where I actually had to sit down outside of class and really learn the stuff inside-out.

Finished my undergrad in June, accounting major. Main tip I have for the first accounting class is that you HAVE to really learn and understand the terms you're taught in the beginning, they're the foundation for everything you do in that major from then on out. It's a whole system in itself, that's why it's so dense in the beginning.. most people haven't learned a thing about the concept of accounting prior to the class, but once you get into the major the principles you learn become second nature (hopefully). It was the first class where I actually had to sit down outside of class and really learn the stuff inside-out.

Originally Posted by ChiqGa

embarassed.gif

PwC. I loved it and will be back once I graduate.

I interviewed with GT as well. Which office are you looking at?

My GT interview was very little about actually technical ability. It was more about your soft skills. In the group setting are you the leader/or the follower? How would you describe your personality? Which of your weaknesses have you worked on improving the most? My interviewer asked about my writing/speaking skills as well. How much experience I had in writing and how I would describe my abilities?

Never interviewed with EY, I messed up that opportunity with some communication errors. But I got my #1 choice so I can't be mad (EY was 2 though).

In terms of advice a lot of people underrate the pre-interview socials but take advantage of them. Talk to the people who will be at your office and even some people who aren't from your prospective office. Everyone talks about the people they met who they liked, so more people saying good things about you is always a plus. It cliche but relax and don't try and be anything you're not.

Be happy that you didn't end up at KPMG. One of my best friends did them and absolutely hated it. Which doesn't surprise me, my interviewer was a ****.

Originally Posted by ChiqGa

embarassed.gif

PwC. I loved it and will be back once I graduate.

I interviewed with GT as well. Which office are you looking at?

My GT interview was very little about actually technical ability. It was more about your soft skills. In the group setting are you the leader/or the follower? How would you describe your personality? Which of your weaknesses have you worked on improving the most? My interviewer asked about my writing/speaking skills as well. How much experience I had in writing and how I would describe my abilities?

Never interviewed with EY, I messed up that opportunity with some communication errors. But I got my #1 choice so I can't be mad (EY was 2 though).

In terms of advice a lot of people underrate the pre-interview socials but take advantage of them. Talk to the people who will be at your office and even some people who aren't from your prospective office. Everyone talks about the people they met who they liked, so more people saying good things about you is always a plus. It cliche but relax and don't try and be anything you're not.

Be happy that you didn't end up at KPMG. One of my best friends did them and absolutely hated it. Which doesn't surprise me, my interviewer was a ****.

The #+%@ you see in the real world is so much different than the book. For the most part a lot of things do make sense logically.

very true

The #+%@ you see in the real world is so much different than the book. For the most part a lot of things do make sense logically.

very true

Back
Top Bottom