A personal message to the writers of The Wire [Spoilers inside]

Anyone else watch The Corner from David Simon? It's like a prequel to The Wire, but a real life documentary. I really enjoyed it, plus they have plenty of The Wire's characters we all loved.

Some interesting tid bits though, Donnie, Butchie's friend who is sent to jail to protect Omar and is finally killed in the apartment shootout, was the inspiration for the character of Omar. Donnie, played by Donnie Andrews, was a real life stick up kid who had actually jumped out of a 6th story apartment, not the 4th floor that Omar did. One of The Corner's main characters, Fran, is Donnie's real life wife too. I just thought it was cool how it all intertwined.

This is the guy I'm talking about:
IN10258100DONNIE-AN_192102t.jpg

And some good interviews with the real life Omar:
http://www.viceland.com/wp/2009/06/an-interview-with-donnie-andrews-the-real-life-omar-little/
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/donnie-andrews-the-road-to-redemption-1711563.html

Anyone else watch The Corner from David Simon? It's like a prequel to The Wire, but a real life documentary. I really enjoyed it, plus they have plenty of The Wire's characters we all loved.

Some interesting tid bits though, Donnie, Butchie's friend who is sent to jail to protect Omar and is finally killed in the apartment shootout, was the inspiration for the character of Omar. Donnie, played by Donnie Andrews, was a real life stick up kid who had actually jumped out of a 6th story apartment, not the 4th floor that Omar did. One of The Corner's main characters, Fran, is Donnie's real life wife too. I just thought it was cool how it all intertwined.

This is the guy I'm talking about:
IN10258100DONNIE-AN_192102t.jpg

And some good interviews with the real life Omar:
http://www.viceland.com/wp/2009/06/an-interview-with-donnie-andrews-the-real-life-omar-little/
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/donnie-andrews-the-road-to-redemption-1711563.html

Originally Posted by 36hypno

Originally Posted by Elpablo21

Favorite scene was Omar being confronted by Brother Muzone (hope that's spelled right
laugh.gif
)
Dope scene (I'm thinking of the Alley scene, not when Omar shot him in the Hotel). Their level of respect for each other was cool to see
Yep
One of the best scenes in the show. The writing and acting was PERFECT for that scene.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Elpablo21

Favorite scene was Omar being confronted by Brother Muzone (hope that's spelled right
laugh.gif
)
Dope scene (I'm thinking of the Alley scene, not when Omar shot him in the Hotel). Their level of respect for each other was cool to see
Yep
One of the best scenes in the show. The writing and acting was PERFECT for that scene.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

After what Bodie did to Wallace, I can't say I was sorry to see him go.  Dude was taking care of a boatload of kids and they kill him like that...AND they're his boys?!?!  #@++ Stringer.  

After what Bodie did to Wallace, I can't say I was sorry to see him go.  Dude was taking care of a boatload of kids and they kill him like that...AND they're his boys?!?!  #@++ Stringer.  

I don't feel bad for Wallace at all. He should've stayed with his grandmother.

On another note, I almost, almost stopped watching after Kenard popped omar. I was looking forward to a marlo/omar showdown.

On another note, I almost, almost stopped watching after Kenard popped omar. I was looking forward to a marlo/omar showdown.

I think the saddest part was when Butchie got clapped. My dude was blind and all. smh Also when they showed Omar in the morgue, @+!@ was un-real.

I think the saddest part was when Butchie got clapped. My dude was blind and all. smh Also when they showed Omar in the morgue, @+!@ was un-real.

Originally Posted by MrONegative

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Originally Posted by AdobeCS4

This threads reminds how much season 2 pisses me off. Straight up waste of a season.
the-wire.gif

It might have been the most "boring" season compared to the others, but it was crucial in broadening The Wire's impact and overall story. It showed the problems of the working class for Baltimore, and that the show could be more than drug dealers and cops. Plus storywise it was important to show how the drugs came in and the bigger players involved.

The overall series would suffer a lot without season 2.

Truth.
I always felt like they needed a season about health care...one in the hospitals between seasons 3 and 4, but after that, I loved how they structured things.
How far could they have taken that though?

My dude who mentioned The Corner...
pimp.gif
 great miniseriers.

Originally Posted by MrONegative

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Originally Posted by AdobeCS4

This threads reminds how much season 2 pisses me off. Straight up waste of a season.
the-wire.gif

It might have been the most "boring" season compared to the others, but it was crucial in broadening The Wire's impact and overall story. It showed the problems of the working class for Baltimore, and that the show could be more than drug dealers and cops. Plus storywise it was important to show how the drugs came in and the bigger players involved.

The overall series would suffer a lot without season 2.

Truth.
I always felt like they needed a season about health care...one in the hospitals between seasons 3 and 4, but after that, I loved how they structured things.
How far could they have taken that though?

My dude who mentioned The Corner...
pimp.gif
 great miniseriers.

Originally Posted by Budweiser

He enjoyed a better death than a lot of characters.

Secondly, Marlo was no king. He was just a pawn who thought better of himself.

I disagree. There is no way Marlo was a pawn. He was the king of kings.
Chris and Snoop answered directly to him, protected him at every turn and I'm pretty sure Marlo was the only one who instilled fear in Chris or Snoop.

Not to mention his role in single-handedly monopolizing the "imports."

Everyone took the rap for him and he was the only one who was free.

Also, his final scene in season 5? Gangsta.

More gangsta than Omar, Wee-Bey, Snoop etc.

They all used weapons to make his/her point. Marlo used his fists to make his point.

Disclaimer: Marlo is not my fave character. That title belongs to Stringer.

Originally Posted by Budweiser

He enjoyed a better death than a lot of characters.

Secondly, Marlo was no king. He was just a pawn who thought better of himself.

I disagree. There is no way Marlo was a pawn. He was the king of kings.
Chris and Snoop answered directly to him, protected him at every turn and I'm pretty sure Marlo was the only one who instilled fear in Chris or Snoop.

Not to mention his role in single-handedly monopolizing the "imports."

Everyone took the rap for him and he was the only one who was free.

Also, his final scene in season 5? Gangsta.

More gangsta than Omar, Wee-Bey, Snoop etc.

They all used weapons to make his/her point. Marlo used his fists to make his point.

Disclaimer: Marlo is not my fave character. That title belongs to Stringer.

Originally Posted by SneakerFr

But showdowns weren't what the show was about. If Omar died in a shootout it would have cheapened his existence. The randomness of his death, and the aftermath (in the morgue), is what made the show so great. In the grand scheme, he wasn't significant. The audience (and the street characters, to a certain extent) deified him. But he wasn't anything special in reality.

But showdowns weren't what the show was about. If Omar died in a shootout it would have cheapened his existence. The randomness of his death, and the aftermath (in the morgue), is what made the show so great. In the grand scheme, he wasn't significant. The audience (and the street characters, to a certain extent) deified him. But he wasn't anything special in reality.

marlo/omar showdown was the only thing that mattered season 5, especially after butch got done like that.  i dont get the logic.......

marlo/omar showdown was the only thing that mattered season 5, especially after butch got done like that.  i dont get the logic.......

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

i didnt understand what happened in the morgue...what was that about?

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

i didnt understand what happened in the morgue...what was that about?

Wow.

So much to say about this program.

I totally slept on it when it came out. Paid it NO attention. And then, of course, comes the hyperboles I heard from ALOT of people. People who I respect. "Best TV program EVER" they would say. This only made me NOT wanna watch it. "No way it's that good" I would say foolishly. That is, until one rainy day about 3 months ago when a good friend of mine sat me down and made me watch the first 3 episodes. After that, I was hooked. Everything about this series is great. The characters, the plot, the narrative, the social messages...all done so flawlessly. I can't believe I was such a *%%@ and didn't watch it sooner. I can't wait to watch all 5 seasons again for the second time.

To me, season 3 was the best. Avon's home and wants his corners back, Marlo wasn't having it...we had a good 'ol fashion war. It was great.

Wow.

So much to say about this program.

I totally slept on it when it came out. Paid it NO attention. And then, of course, comes the hyperboles I heard from ALOT of people. People who I respect. "Best TV program EVER" they would say. This only made me NOT wanna watch it. "No way it's that good" I would say foolishly. That is, until one rainy day about 3 months ago when a good friend of mine sat me down and made me watch the first 3 episodes. After that, I was hooked. Everything about this series is great. The characters, the plot, the narrative, the social messages...all done so flawlessly. I can't believe I was such a *%%@ and didn't watch it sooner. I can't wait to watch all 5 seasons again for the second time.

To me, season 3 was the best. Avon's home and wants his corners back, Marlo wasn't having it...we had a good 'ol fashion war. It was great.

This scene had me DYING on the floor
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
  True True FALSE.

GREAT Series. I can't believe I slept on it for so long...
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom