(7-9) Miami Dolphins 2010 Season Thread: WE SUCK! THANK GOD IT'S OVER!!!

Mid first, top 2nd.  I can dig it. 

Course, i don't put a whole lotta faith in Jerry drafting, but still, we got some value there. 
laugh.gif

Wow, two new guards huh? That'd be pretty crazy. I expect Incognito to start, but Jerry too?

And I hope you're right about Dobbins over Crowder, Crowder is a mop.

What the hell is wrong with Yuku? Typed up a post and it went to a blank screen

I said something about Jerry over our guards, surprising... And hopefully Dobbins replaces Crowder

[h1]Dates and times set for Miami Dolphins' preseason games[/h1]
The dates and times for the Miami Dolphins' preseason schedule, which opens with a home game Aug. 14 against Tampa Bay, were announced Monday.

As usual, all four games are night games, with the home games -- Tampa Bay and against Atlanta on Aug. 27 -- starting at 7 p.m. The Dolphins go to Jacksonville on Aug. 21 for a 7:30 p.m. kickoff and close the preseason Sept. 2 in Dallas, an 8 p.m. Eastern time start.

PRESEASON SCHEDULE

• Aug. 14: vs. Tampa Bay, 7 p.m.

• Aug. 21: at Jacksonville, 7:30 p.m.

• Aug. 27: vs. Atlanta, 7 p.m.

• Sept. 2: at Dallas, 8 p.m

finnns2003 wrote:
Wow, two new guards huh? That'd be pretty crazy. I expect Incognito to start, but Jerry too?

And I hope you're right about Dobbins over Crowder, Crowder is a mop.
If Smiley is back, he would start but that's a BIG if.

Nate Garner is the only one I see over Jerry but Nate Garner is more valuable imo going in for whoever needs a breather and rotating at multiple positions because he can play ever positing on the line.

[h3]Buyer beware: The case of O.J. Atogwe[/h3]
Almost every day, the Salguero inbox includes a couple of questions about the Dolphins' chase of free safety Oshiomogho "O.J." Atogwe. To which I respond, what chase?

Atogwe is property of the St. Louis Rams at the moment. The Dolphins cannot chase him without permission from the Rams because the player is an unsigned restricted free agent at a time the restricted free agency period has passed.

Yes, there is a chance Atogwe will become an unrestricted free agent at some point in the next month if he and the Rams cannot come to contract terms after June 1 when his restricted tender expires. The NFL Network has reported Atogwe will not sign his tender which is obvious at this point. But what is not often said is that the Rams probably aren't going to go quietly into the night without trying to keep Atogwe by signing him to a long-term contract.

Let's assume for a minute, however, that Atogwe's days with the Rams are over. If that is the case, the thing that needs to be said is this: Buyer beware.

Atogwe, you see, had a great season in 2008 when he had a team- and NFC-high eight interceptions. But last year was a bad one for him and it ended prematurely in December when Atogwe was placed on injured reserve with a dislocated right shoulder.

The shoulder required reconstructive surgery which is major surgery. Atogwe is still working to recover from the surgery, according to reports. He also reportedly suffered a sports hernia that he is trying to come back from as well.

So how would you feel about paying top-dollar for a player coming back from two significant injuries, particularly when one is a shoulder injury?

Obviously any Dolphins' interest will have to be tempered by how confident they are Atogwe can be 100 percent -- and not just short-term, but over the long-term.

But do you remember the last time the Dolphins signed a player with shoulder troubles? Justin Smiley was signed to a big long-term contact in 2008 and after only two seasons is on the outs because his shoulder is not well enough for him to stay on the field over a 16-game season.

Do the Dolphins make the same leap with Atogwe in hopes of solving their long-term free safety issues? Will the Rams, who have reportedly scheduled talks with Atogwe in the coming weeks, even allow that to happen?

It is obviously not a certainty.

How are those starting corners progressing this year, not a dophin fan but that's my favorite tandom.

[h3]Scouts Inc: Sanchez or Henne?[/h3]
May, 12, 2010
11:08AM ET

By Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson

nfl_henne_sanchez1_576.jpg
US PresswireChad Henne and Mark Sanchez are on the rise but Henne might have the most potential.

It has come to my attention, via the Football Today podcast when Tim Graham was a guest, that there is much debate as to who is the second-best quarterback in the AFC East behind Tom Brady. Is it Mark Sanchez or Chad Henne? Tim and I debated it briefly on the podcast, but here are my more expansive thoughts on the subject.

Personally, I would take Henne. He wins by a landslide, actually. Granted, Henne’s accomplishments in terms of leading his Miami Dolphins are not as impressive as what the New York Jets did last season. But to me, Sanchez wasn’t the force behind the Jets’ drive to the AFC Championship Game. I am not discounting Sanchez’s rookie-season accomplishments, but I just contend that quarterback was far from an area of strength for the 2009 Jets.

There is much to like about Sanchez. He has shown anticipation, can make plays with his feet and throws a catchable ball. Sanchez should develop into a fine anticipatory passer who gets the ball out on time. His accuracy will improve in the short and intermediate zones. But overall, I see Sanchez as a player who is very average physically for the quarterback position and he will struggle passing outside the numbers within this division late in the season due to weather problems. He simply doesn’t have nearly as high of a ceiling as Henne.

Henne is the prototype. He has a very good arm and can threaten the field at all levels. He is well built and shows great toughness. He can stand in the pocket in the face of a heavy rush, step into his throw and deliver the football. Henne sees the field and reads coverages better than Sanchez, which is to be expected since Henne has been in the league longer at this point.

While he might not be as light on his feet or as good of a runner as Sanchez, Henne gets the most out of every play by standing firm and keeping his eyes downfield. In contrast, Sanchez too often feels and reacts to pressure that isn’t there and hurries his throw or leaves plays on the field. Miami consistently keeps an extra pass blocker in and have some very solid peripheral pass blockers, but it would not be a shock if they were less conservative in this regard next season.

Still, they will throw a lot from heavier personnel groupings. As I expect that we will see more this year with a threat like Brandon Marshall to throw to, it will become apparent that Henne can put the football in spots that Sanchez cannot. Henne’s passes come out hot. Already a confident and decisive young quarterback, Henne will become increasingly comfortable and his toughness will further reflect upon his teammates.

Both quarterbacks have a ways to go. Both still misread coverages. Both miss open receivers that they should hit at times. They need to cut down on their interceptions. Sanchez had a few horrible games last season. While Henne wasn’t always spot on, he never seemed as though he was overwhelmed or didn’t belong.

Go back and watch Sanchez in Week 6 against the Buffalo Bills or Week 11 at the New England Patriots: It wasn’t pretty. I would like to see Sanchez improve his pocket awareness, stand in against the rush longer and require fewer protectors to keep him upright.

The only quality that Sanchez has that Henne does not is that he has led his team further in the postseason. That isn’t nearly enough for me to side with Sanchez in this argument though, especially considering the makeup of the Jets team last year.

This blog post isn’t to be critical of Sanchez. If he’s used properly, the Jets can win a lot of games with him behind center. Both signal-callers could go on to have very productive careers. The Dolphins and Jets are two of the best-coached teams in the league and I think they both feature top-5 offensive lines and strong running games. The weapons for Sanchez and Henne also have improved this offseason.

Both young quarterbacks are on the rise. But, in the end, I want Henne.

Originally Posted by Put em up

How are those starting corners progressing this year, not a dophin fan but that's my favorite tandom.

They will make their mark this season

5/19/10 OTA

Before ya'll go crazy, Marshall hasn't picked a # and is only wearing 19 for now. That's not to say that he wont pick 19 later. He also had minor clean up surgery in his hip to clean up last year's hip surgery.

53821207.jpg

53821200.jpg
53821031.jpg

53821204.jpg
53821063.jpg

Miami Dolphins' Brandon Marshall has minor hip surgery
Brandon Marshall underwent a "routine procedure," according to Miami Dolphins coach Tony Sparano, and it's uncertain whether he'll make it back in time for the start of training camp.

Sparano would not specify the body part Marshall had repaired and tried to downplay the issue when pressed, but it's still a pretty stunning blow for a team that burned two second-round draft picks and a $50 million contract on a single player.

According to a league source, the surgery was on the same hip Marshall had repaired nearly 14 months ago.

"It's going to take some time right now," Sparano said Wednesday after Day 2 of Organized Team Activities. "We'll see where it is. The process is getting better right now each day, so we'll see where it goes. I don't know whether or not he'll participate in any OTA's."

Asked if the team expected this when it signed Marshall on April 14, Sparano paused.

"I would say that … uh … well … no," he said. "Just came up. … It's just something that came up, we needed to get it cleaned up and we did."

Sparano went on to say he felt "no disappointment at all" with the news about Marshall, who rode a stationary bike for a while during Tuesday's practice but did nothing else more strenuous than standing in the offensive backfield taking "mental reps" during team drills.

"He's been here for [four] weeks now, throwing and catching and doing all the things necessary," Sparano said. "He was throwing and catching the day that the procedure was done, so [I'm] not even concerned about that."

It was a balky hamstring that caused Marshall to miss his final game with the Broncos (with a team suspension thrown in) last season.

"It's definitely frustrating, but you know, some things you can't control," Marshall told reporters before his surgery was disclosed. "In my past, I learned that, not to worry myself and hold my head down when I can't control it. I'm just going to do the best I can with the mental reps and prepare myself that way."

Other notable Marshall injuries in recent years included a hip problem that required surgery on March 31, 2009. He was back from that in time for Broncos training camp but his erratic practice performance led to a two-game team suspension last preseason.

On March 22, 2008, Marshall reportedly slipped on an empty McDonald's bag while wrestling with family members, which led to him falling through a TV set at his home in Orlando and cutting his right forearm. That mishap required surgery to repair damage to "one artery, one vein, one nerve, two tendons and three muscles," according to the Broncos trainer.

Marshall's arm was in a sling until late June, and he later admitted playing the entire 2008 season with numbness in his right hand.

There were also problems in the 2007 offseason. A groin strain caused him to miss Broncos minicamps in May and June, and a pulled quadriceps muscle suffered on July 10 caused him to miss nearly the entire training camp.

So, this makes four straight off-seasons that Marshall has had some sort of injury problem that has caused him to miss workouts. And that doesn't even count the slight tear in his knee he suffered as a rookie during the 2006 preseason.

Updated) Miami Dolphins: Brandon Marshall and the OTAs
by: Mike Berardino May 19th, 2010 | 12:13 PM

So the Miami Dolphins just finished their only open practice between now and veteran minicamp on May 28-30, and this is some of what we gleaned:

() Brandon Marshall is wearing No. 19 … for now. He says he “hasn’t decided on this yet,

I forgot all about OTA's...
laugh.gif
at how many guys are recovering from injuries, last season was RIDICULOUS.

[h1]Zach Thomas retires as a Miami Dolphin[/h1][h2]
[h2]Thomas signs a ceremonial one-day contract, then retire

Zach Thomas came home, then he left.

One of the most rugged and beloved players in Miami Dolphins history, Thomas signed a ceremonial contract Thursday at 4 p.m. at the team's Davie facility, and he then he officially announced his retirement from the NFL.

Thomas played 12 seasons at middle linebacker for the Dolphins, earning seven Pro Bowl selections and five nods as a first-team All-Pro. A former fifth-round draft pick out of Texas Tech in 1996, Thomas quickly became a team leader in the short-lived Jimmy Johnson era.

"Zach was a great teammate, one of the best I ever had," said Jason Taylor in a statement. "There's no question that my career wouldn't be what it is without him. No one prepared harder. No one cared more. Of course, he was more than just a teammate to me and to be able to literally grow up in this league together, to share in the treasured moments, the wins and the losses, experiences both on and off the field, with a friend and a family member, was a unique opportunity that I will treasure forever. You hate to see the great ones hang up their cleats, but I am very happy for Zach that he is doing it the way he wanted to, hanging them up in Miami."

Thomas, 36, went on to play for Dave Wannstedt, Jim Bates, Nick Saban and Cam Cameron as well before being released in one of the first major acts of the Bill Parcells administration.

Thomas wanted to hold a news conference at the team facility in the spring of 2008 to say goodbye to the South Florida fans who supported him through so many achievements, injuries and concussions, but the new Dolphins regime refused, citing team policy.

That sparked a long-distance feud that continued through Thomas' public criticism last month regarding the team's lukewarm treatment of fellow linebacker Jason Taylor, who is married to Thomas' sister.

"You've got to get a better spokesman, I'm sorry," Thomas said of Dolphins General Manager Jeff Ireland. "I'm not trying to be hard on Jeff Ireland, but he's saying it wrong, especially for a guy who has so much history with the Miami Dolphins. … He should know how to respect guys that have been great to the game."

Despite being undersized at 5-foot-11 and 230 pounds, Thomas led the Dolphins in total tackles 10 times and suited up for eight Dolphins playoff games.

He bounced to the Dallas Cowboys in 2008 and was in training camp with the Kansas City Chiefs in 2009 before a long-standing battle with concussions forced him to the sidelines for good.

A minor uproar was sparked in late April when the Dolphins briefly assigned No. 54 to their fourth-round draft pick A.J. Edds, an inside linebacker from Iowa. After Dolphins fans blew up the message boards at Sun Sentinel.com and other team-related blogs, Edds went back to No. 49, his old college number, by the time rookie minicamp started later in the week.

Asked about the number flap on Sunday night at Taylor's charity dinner in Hollywood, Thomas took the high road.

"I'm for all of that," he said of someone like Edds wearing his number. "A.J., I've heard , is a great player, works hard. I'd be honored for him to wear that. The whole number thing, I'm not really caught up in all that.

"He's supposed to be a great player that works hard. Why not? I don't understand what the whole uproar was about. I'm cheering for him. I think he got his old college number. I'd like to talk to him. Maybe at camp or something, I could come around."

And the future of Thomas' famous number?

"Anybody that wants 54, that's fine," he said.

The Dolphins have retired just three jerseys ( Bob Griese's No. 12, Dan Marino's No. 13 and Larry Csonka's No. 39) in their long, illustrious history.

As for his feelings toward the Dolphins organization, Thomas said Sunday he had moved past his previous issues.

"I'm a fan now," he said. "I'm cheering for them. I'm looking forward to this year and I think we're going to have a great team."
[/h2]
[/h2]

[h1]Dolphins guard Justin Smiley dealt to Jaguars[/h1][h2][/h2] 
Acquired in 2008 as free agent from 49ers, lineman battled injuries

By Omar Kelly, Sun Sentinel

4:52 p.m. EDT, May 24, 2010

Justin Smiley is on the verge of finding work for 2010 after nearly three months of dwelling in employment limbo.

The Dolphins traded Smiley, the team's starting left guard the past two seasons, to the Jacksonville Jaguars on Monday for a late-round conditional draft pick. But the deal is contingent on Smiley passing a physical.

Smiley, who lives in Alabama, is in transit to Jacksonville to take the physical. If his left shoulder, which has been surgically repaired twice, checks out, he'll be property of the Jaguars.

A source close the situation said the Dolphins gave Smiley's new agent, Drew Rosenhaus, permission to broker a trade, and he quickly found something suitable for both parties.

Smiley had been banished by the team since March and told not to attend the Dolphins' organized team activities because they had intended to trade him. The source said a few teams, most notably the Colts and Seahawks, expressed interest during the draft, but the Dolphins balked at the late-round offers.

What Miami gets back from Jacksonville for Smiley likely depends on the role he plays this upcoming season.

Unless Smiley's contract is re-negotiated, he's set to earn $3 million in 2010, but $100,000 of that comes from a workout bonus. His salary jumped up to $4.9 million in 2011, with another $100,000 workout bonus. And in 2012, the final year of the deal he signed as a free agent with the Dolphins in 2008, he's slated to earn $5 million ($500,000 of which is a roster bonus, and $100,000 is a workout bonus).

As for who replaces Smiley at guard, the Dolphins now have five players vying for both starting spots.

Nate Garner, who is nursing an undisclosed injury, and Donald Thomas each started half the season at right guard last year, and the team viewed Smiley expendable because of their progress.

The Dolphins added free agent Richie Incognito as an upgrade at right guard this offseason, and Ole Miss offensive guard John Jerry was drafted in the third round last month. Jerry is working primarily at left guard, Smiley's old spot.

Dolphins on Monday also signed offensive lineman Cory Procter, the team announced. Proctor, 27, is entering his sixth NFL season, having spent his first five with the Dallas Cowboys, after being signed off the Detroit Lions' practice squad in 2005.

The 6-foot-4, 311-pound Procter has played in 44 games, including 13 starts. A versatile contributor, Procter has the ability to play and provide depth at multiple positions along the offensive line. In 2008, Proctor started a career-high 11 games at left guard.

Miami Dolphins sign offensive lineman Cory Procter

On the same day the Miami Dolphins found a trade partner for former starting guard Justin Smiley, the franchise finalized a multi-year deal to add another interior offensive lineman.

Cory Procter, who Tony Sparano coached for three seasons in Dallas, was signed on Monday.

The 6-foot-4, 311-pounder joins an already crowded offensive line, and will likely compete with Richie Incognito, Donald Thomas, Nate Garner, and rookie John Jerry for one of the two vacant starting guard spots.

Since being cut by the Cowboys, which released him earlier this month to avoid paying Proctor the $1.759 million tender he signed, the former Montana standout had worked out for the Broncos, Patriots and Miami.

His familiarity with this regime, and their familiarity with him, was what sealed the deal a source close to the situation said.

Procter, 27, was active for every game in 2009 but saw only brief action at center and guard. In 2008, Procter started 11 of 16 games at left guard with Kyle Kosier suffering a serious foot injury that kept him out for most of the season. Procter started two games in 2007.

Ah, got ya.  That ain't even all of it.  I kept my 15 or so jerseys upstairs, with some jackets/sweaters/hats and shirts.  That's stuff I wear or use still.  All this is just knick knack stuff. 

I only dream of what I would walk away with if I visited Miami just one time. 
smh.gif
frown.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

Some pics of my garage I just put together over the weekend. 
smokin.gif
[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]It was all good....until i seen the Lakers %!$@ [/color]
indifferent.gif

laugh.gif
Yeah #% that Lakers crap.

I should take a pic of my Phins memorabilia, I need to organize it first. I have SO much stuff lying around in multiple homes. I even have an autographed Saban helmet.
smh.gif

Back
Top Bottom