50 Cent Speaks on "Soulful" Black Magic album (Long Read)

50 Cent is getting into a groove with his fifth studio album, tentatively titled Black Magic. In the latest excerpt from his conversation with Rap-Up.com, Fiddy describes how the direction is leaning toward a more soulful sound, channeling the music of Marvin Gaye and Curtis Mayfield, how he doesn’t need an A-list producer to make a hit, and who calls the shots on his release date.

Is your next album still called Black Magic?
I started writing to a Black Magic concept before I left and since I’ve been back I’ve been writing in a different direction, so I’m not sure if it’ll be totally what I initially created. I’ll end up taking the best of everything. Since I came back off the [European] tour, I got bombarded with new production, so many good ideas in there that I started writing to another concept.

So the album title could change?
Yeah, it could change—because it won’t be the same music. It’ll end up being something different. It may [stick] though ’cause I’m still writing.

You once mentioned that you were experimenting with an uptempo, dance sound. Is that correct?
That was in reference to a song that I recorded while I was [in Europe]. I got a chance to hear the music that was playing out there prior to me coming there. It’s almost like when I come into the territory they change the music to 50 Cent music, so I’m saying, “What were you playing before I got here?

i think he just needs to stop
ohwell.gif
and im a pretty big fan of him

Ill give it a listen. I like you should be dead, and although the last album didnt meet "expectations i liked it. ill give it a spin. Cant let me down anymore than royce did with that be3 mixtape

So he's tryin to copy Ross...

I think its a good idea, I thought "Follow My Lead" was a step in the right direction, why he didn't continue on that route is unknown, but if that's what the new joint is goin be like its goin be dope...

You can never count a HIT-Maker out (unless of course you're an NTer)

Em needs to release Relapse 2 as a mixtape, gratis.

A new 50 album. **kanye shrug**

50 cent hasnt been a hit maker for a few years now... let it go...

and we all know he's not a good rapper so if he tries to go another route its probably gonna be an even bigger fail...

I won't mind a soulful sound from 50, especially if its got a "laid back" feel along the lines of Power of The Dollar

American Gangster was a horrible album, so I hope it doesn't sound like that. No completely horrible, but it was thrown together like it had NO SOUL. Ironic.

50 is still a good rapper. Always will be one of the best. Go post in the j.cole section, for those who disagree. We won't miss you.

american gangster was horrible but 50 is one of the best rappers? OK

and j cole is boring as !+%#...

Originally Posted by theknowledgeableprofessor

American Gangster was a horrible album, so I hope it doesn't sound like that. No completely horrible, but it was thrown together like it had NO SOUL. Ironic.

50 is still a good rapper. Always will be one of the best. Go post in the j.cole section, for those who disagree. We won't miss you.

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

You serious?
laugh.gif

American Gangster...great production. Soulful bet.

Jay-Z = lazy, using recycled verses, songs, etc. Songs did not go with the concept of the album, it fumbled around everywhere. It was sloppy. It didn't know what it wanted to be. And the beats, weren't even that good. As a matter of fact, I forgot the album every existed, until you had mentioned it. It was that good.

It's just my opinion.

Originally Posted by Harlem On The Rise

So he's tryin to copy Ross...

I think its a good idea, I thought "Follow My Lead" was a step in the right direction, why he didn't continue on that route is unknown, but if that's what the new joint is goin be like its goin be dope...

You can never count a HIT-Maker out (unless of course you're an NTer)
This is the way to stay in the game tho, and show your maturity...seems like its kinda late in his career for a comeback tho...maybe the new Def Jam will help em

Originally Posted by LuigiTheKing

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

I pray this album sounds like "American Gangster"....

Why the hell would it sound like American Gangster?
laugh.gif

How would you describe your latest direction?
It’s still got a soulful vibe to it and that’s why I called it Black Magic. I had some Marvin Gaye-inspired stuff, some things that content-wise would feel like something Curtis Mayfield would do from my perspective, and just the choices of how the cadences on the records were like performance music that they did in the past. It feels brand new. If I didn’t tell you it was inspired by that, you wouldn’t know that I got it from that. I didn’t say the same things that they said; it’s just my perspective on what they offered.

American Gangster = Soulful sounds...

Originally Posted by theknowledgeableprofessor

American gangster was @@!$*@* dope....da hell u talkin about. Can u hear?

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

50 cent hasnt been a hit maker for a few years now... let it go...

and we all know he's not a good rapper so if he tries to go another route its probably gonna be an even bigger fail...

So if 50 isn't a HIT maker when who is??

I'll wait while you name a bunch of guys with LESS hits in a longer period of time...

Don't act like he wasn't on a #1 record last year...

He's took part in 12 top 10 singles in the past 8 years (8 of his own, and 4 he was featured on even tho he wrote 3 of the 4)...

Sounds like a NON HIT-maker to me
eyes.gif

Back
Top Bottom