5 Million People Cut Their Cable Subscription Off

i called Dish network to cancel my subscription and they took $30 off my bill for 6 months and free HBO

Last edited:
I'm about to cut my cable off pretty soon and get a Roku or something. My cable/internet bill is up to $180 a month now compared to $119 last year and I for get any extra channels or services it just crept up. I have the triple play comcast deal that includes the phone service but I don't even use that. It made sense originally but that price shot up so now I'm paying extra and sick of it.

For real. Comcast got me on some horrible deal where they said I could only pay $10 more to get basic cable and the basic cable is horrible. I don't get ESPN, TNT, MTV or any other cable networks that I thought was in the package. Worst of all the $10 is practically $20 with a fee, so before I was paying $50 a month and now I am paying close to $80.

Haha sucka basic cable is free anyway with Internet

Yeah but with comcast you have to rent their box to get those channels. They changed it up like three years ago where regardless if you have one of those tv's that can unscramble cable channels( I can't remember what they're called) you must get a box to get the local channels

For real. Comcast got me on some horrible deal where they said I could only pay $10 more to get basic cable and the basic cable is horrible. I don't get ESPN, TNT, MTV or any other cable networks that I thought was in the package. Worst of all the $10 is practically $20 with a fee, so before I was paying $50 a month and now I am paying close to $80.

Haha sucka basic cable is free anyway with Internet

Yeah but with comcast you have to rent their box to get those channels. They changed it up like three years ago where regardless if you have one of those tv's that can unscramble cable channels( I can't remember what they're called) you must get a box to get the local channels
Yeah that crap pissed me off. At my house, the living room had the larger box for OnDemand and all the other channels beyond 100, and in my bedroom I just plugged the coax cable directly into my tv from the jack to get basic cable channels (ESPN, Comedy Central, TNT, etc). All of a sudden I got a message on my screen saying that everything has switched to digital and I needed to call Comcast to hook up an adapter. Now I'm renting the basic box for $5 a month just to watch basic cable.

:lol: I can't watch TV shows on laptops no more. I work on or with computers 8 hours a day. The hell I look going home to hop back on a laptop?

This is exactly what I mean.

I'm on a computer for at least 10-12 hours a day. Why would anyone in their right mind want to go back to a computer after being on one for so long?

And how the Hell can you guys watch anything on a 13-15" computer screen? Makes no sense to me.

Picture watching Planet Earth on a laptop. Makes no sense :lol:

I work on a computer with two screens at work for 8 hours a day and still go to my laptop for another 4+ hours when I get home

Anybody got that Roku box 
nerd.gif

Thinking about getting that after my contract is up with dish

Nice.. did you have a 24mo contract deal with them?

Yep best time to call is right before there quarter ends. They want to go out strong so they try to keep everyone on board. They don't want to look bad to investors

Also with Comcast you can live stream all the channels. I now have my TV connected to one of my computers on Comcast stream app and I split the bill with my brother who lives in another house.

Wrong! I just tried it on my TV and it worked without box. You just need a digital TV fam. I got like 90 channels local and some others and their music channels with No box. I just plugged the cord from my Internet modem into my TV and I got the channels

Your tv need a tuner unscramble but most digital TV have this already

Against law. Comcast cannot encrypt local digital channels.

In my area there is like 30 local channels comcast cannot encrypt. I still get other channels as well

Last edited:
I have cable...

no way I'm streaming games.

dat dere struggle quality.

Wrong! I just tried it on my TV and it worked without box. You just need a digital TV fam. I got like 90 channels local and some others and their music channels with No box. I just plugged the cord from my Internet modem into my TV and I got the channels

In my area there is like 30 local channels comcast cannot encrypt. I still get other channels as well

Maybe I worded it wrongly but the post I was referring to is comcast basic channels that typically come with comcast internet w/o any sort of special bundle deal. About three years ago they changed it where you can no longer hook the coaxial cable directly into your tv and get those channels. Now you have to pay them a rental fee for one of their boxes to get those advertised "free" basic channels that comes standard with comcast internet.

I was however not refering to Free to air local broadcast channels or the change over to digital with those channels

this isn't widely reported, but HBO is experimenting with the subscription based service. they would make a killing if they launched this en masse. i personally don't watch tv, i only need internet for all my news and media. catch my shows on internet and i got netflix. also im on my ps3 steez so >D.

-Are you talking about the internet packages that Comcast and Cox offer with HBO included and 20 local channels? That's nice but you're still over paying for the internet

nah..http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/31/hbo-goes-online-only-in-scandinavia_n_1846613.html

i live with my folks so my mom gets a triple play. i was just point out that personally i don't watch enough cable to justify its subscription. internet offers too much access to shows and espn and sports games.

in a way its worth it to actually have a console sized gaming pc at the TV and roll like that. quality internet is overpriced in america, its hard to really get around that tho. unless u get google fiber.

Seem to me that the cable industry is facing the same problem that many phone carriers are experiencing. Let's be honest here no one have a house phone anymore.

nah..http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/31/hbo-goes-online-only-in-scandinavia_n_1846613.html

i live with my folks so my mom gets a triple play. i was just point out that personally i don't watch enough cable to justify its subscription. internet offers too much access to shows and espn and sports games.

in a way its worth it to actually have a console sized gaming pc at the TV and roll like that. quality internet is overpriced in america, its hard to really get around that tho. unless u get google fiber.

But when will Google Fiber make its way around the states besides Kansas.

Maybe I worded it wrongly but the post I was referring to is comcast basic channels that typically come with comcast internet w/o any sort of special bundle deal. About three years ago they changed it where you can no longer hook the coaxial cable directly into your tv and get those channels. Now you have to pay them a rental fee for one of their boxes to get those advertised "free" basic channels that comes standard with comcast internet.

I was however not refering to Free to air local broadcast channels or the change over to digital with those channels
Maybe you didnt understand correctly. What im saying is the oppisite.

With internet only, I can plug the coxial cable to the back of my plasma TV and get channels Local and regular channels and the music channels some HD some not.

Now with my old box tv in the garage I need a rental digital converter box so what im saying atleast in my area your wrong

Whats weird at my brother house he have digital economy . In living room he have a digital box and in his playroom he have a digital converter box since his TV is old and he dont need HD or DVR. But in his playroom he get every channel exceed for hbo showtime  max etc. Weird

That wack *** ESPN on Xbox live... :lol:

I remember I live in an apartment... A cable man lived there and basically had the entire building wired up for the basic 60-70 channels...

All you had to do was plug it up... :pimp:

Sucked when I had to move...

Maybe you didnt understand correctly. What im saying is the oppisite.

With internet only, I can plug the coxial cable to the back of my plasma TV and get channels Local and regular channels and the music channels some HD some not.

Now with my old box tv in the garage I need a rental digital converter box so what im saying atleast in my area your wrong

Whats weird at my brother house he have digital economy . In living room he have a digital box and in his playroom he have a digital converter box since his TV is old and he dont need HD or DVR. But in his playroom he get every channel exceed for hbo showtime  max etc. Weird

You know what man you're right, I'm wrong ......... You win ..... My original posts have been clearly worded where I live, every other post of mine is connected to that original one just a pg or two back ....... I'm also sitting right now in front of a large box with a candle iinside of it calling it a tv.. Not the one I bought a year ago .. same goes for all the other tvs in my house.

Last edited:

You are completely wrong. Comcast has encrypted most areas and obviously has not gotten to your area yet. They have FCC approval to encrypt their B1(Basic) service.

For now enjoy your cable without having a box, it may be today, tomorrow or next month but very soon you will get cut off and need a box.

Last edited:

You are completely wrong. Comcast has encrypted most areas and obviously has not gotten to your area yet. They have FCC approval to encrypt their B1(Basic) service.

For now enjoy your cable without having a box, it may be today, tomorrow or next month but very soon you will get cut off and need a box.

Exactly. I just had to get cable again so I could get the basic news :smh: If Roku or Chromecast had local news I would be straight. My area is funny w/ signals and weather so I didn't wanna risk rabbit ears

Tellin y'all who can get cox to look out for the cox flex watch package. 25MB/s Internet (it's actually consistently pulling 30+) and an assortment of channels which include hbo, starz, espnnews (the best one IMO) nba tv and nfl plus others. It's missing a few like a&e, TNT, etc, but between Netflix, Hulu plus, hbo go and usenet I'm covered. It's 60+ for the first year then another 20 bucks for the second. I'll probably just call to cancel and see what they offer at that point. It's new and they keep it low key though. Still not exactly how I'd want where I choose the channels I want, but close.

Exactly. I just had to get cable again so I could get the basic news :smh: If Roku or Chromecast had local news I would be straight. My area is funny w/ signals and weather so I didn't wanna risk rabbit ears

Yeh eventually all areas will have this where you need a box.

Back
Top Bottom