48÷2(9+3) = ???

Obviously you do the (3+9) first because it's in the parenthesis, giving you:

48÷2(12) which can be rewritten as 48÷2*12

Since ÷ and * are the same in order of operations, you go from left to right so 48÷2*12 = 24*12 = 288.

Since ÷ and * are the same in order of operations, you go from left to right so 48÷2*12 = 24*12 = 288.

It's 288.

You get 2 if you multiply before you divide but division and multiplication are on the same bracket in PEMDAS.

Since the division sign is before the multiplication sign you divide first. The rule is to go left to right.

It's 288.

You get 2 if you multiply before you divide but division and multiplication are on the same bracket in PEMDAS.

Since the division sign is before the multiplication sign you divide first. The rule is to go left to right.

Originally Posted by IRockTMacs

This is crazy, my boy texted my friend while we were driving to ball just last night and we discussed this in depth.

But yeah, you follow BEDMAS/PEDMAS

48/2(9+3)

BRACKETS/PARENTHESIS FIRST,

48/2(12)

After this, those brackets are simply a multiplication symbol, so you can rewrite as:
48/2x12

At this point you follow BEDMAS and go left to right
48/2 = 24

Then you have 24(12) or 24x12

= 288

BEDMAS/PEDMAS??

Is that an error?  Or is that what you were taught in Canada?  I've never heard of that.
nerd.gif

I learned PEMDAS

Parenthesis
Exponential
Multiplication
Division
Addition
Subtraction

The point that people miss about PEMDAS is that it's really
P E M/D A/S

multiplication and division happen at the same time (from left to right) as do addition and subtraction.

this means M and D are interchangeable so having MD is the same as DM

In your example the first is correct not because division always come before multiplication but because the division in the problem is first.

P E M/D A/S

multiplication and division happen at the same time (from left to right) as do addition and subtraction.

In your example the first is correct not because division always come before multiplication but because the division in the problem is first.

This is crazy, my boy texted my friend while we were driving to ball just last night and we discussed this in depth.

48/2(9+3)

48/2(12)

After this, those brackets are simply a multiplication symbol, so you can rewrite as:
48/2x12

48/2 = 24

= 288

BEDMAS/PEDMAS??

Is that an error?  Or is that what you were taught in Canada?  I've never heard of that.
nerd.gif

I learned PEMDAS

Parenthesis
Exponential
Multiplication
Division
Addition
Subtraction

Originally Posted by hella handsome

48/2(9+3)

48/2(12)

48/2x12

48/2 = 24

= 288

My dude, you have it all wrong... its not PEDMAS... its PEMDAS.
Its not "Please excuse dear my aunt sally" its Please excuse MY DEAR aunt sally. 

Thats why half of these dudes got it wrong 
laugh.gif

Multiplication comes first, then division. So you would multiply the 2 x 12 before you divide it by 48. which gives you 2 in the end. 

A common technique for remembering the order of operations is the abbreviation "PEMDAS", which is turned into the phrase "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally". It stands for "Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, and Addition and Subtraction". This tells you the ranks of the operations: Parentheses outrank exponents, which outrank multiplication and division (but multiplication and division are at the same rank), and these two outrank addition and subtraction (which are together on the bottom rank).

laugh.gif
try again

48/2(9+3)
48/2(12)

Now work left to right.

24(12)

Not sure why this is so difficult.

hella handsome wrote:

48/2(9+3)

48/2(12)

48/2x12

48/2 = 24

= 288

Its not "Please excuse dear my aunt sally" its Please excuse MY DEAR aunt sally. 

laugh.gif

In my Canadian highschool we were taught BEDMAS. The division and multiplication are interchangeable so you go left to right:

Originally Posted by Carver

48/2(9+3)

48/2(12)

48/2x12

48/2 = 24

= 288

laugh.gif

Multiplication comes first, then division. So you would multiply the 2 x 12 before you divide it by 48. which gives you 2 in the end. 

A common technique for remembering the order of operations is the abbreviation "PEMDAS", which is turned into the phrase "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally". It stands for "Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, and Addition and Subtraction". This tells you the ranks of the operations: Parentheses outrank exponents, which outrank multiplication and division (but multiplication and division are at the same rank), and these two outrank addition and subtraction (which are together on the bottom rank).

laugh.gif
try again

48/2(9+3)
48/2(12)

Now work left to right.

24(12)

Not sure why this is so difficult.

hella handsome wrote:

48/2(9+3)

48/2(12)

48/2x12

48/2 = 24

= 288

laugh.gif

In my Canadian highschool we were taught BEDMAS. The division and multiplication are interchangeable so you go left to right:

48/2(9+3)

48/2(12)

48/2x12

48/2 = 24

= 288

laugh.gif

Multiplication comes first in the name but not in the order. It is the same as division so you have to go left to right.
Parenthesis

Exponents

Multiplication/Division

Addition/Subtraction

hella handsome wrote:

48/2(9+3)

48/2(12)

48/2x12

48/2 = 24

= 288

laugh.gif

Damn fam. I didn't know they taught it like that. 
Man this equation is stupid
30t6p3b.gif
Got us on some "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" steez.

48/2(9+3)

48/2(12)

48/2x12

48/2 = 24

= 288

laugh.gif

Multiplication comes first in the name but not in the order. It is the same as division so you have to go left to right.
Parenthesis

Exponents

Multiplication/Division

Addition/Subtraction

hella handsome wrote:

48/2(9+3)

48/2(12)

48/2x12

48/2 = 24

= 288

laugh.gif

Damn fam. I didn't know they taught it like that. 
Man this equation is stupid
30t6p3b.gif
Got us on some "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" steez.

Originally Posted by N1K3B4LLER

P E M/D A/S

QFT

Back
Top Bottom