48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

And UncleTomCruze, you've said multiple times in the thread the answer can be 2, 8.6(repeating), or 288.

Your argument for choosing 288 over the other two is because you said using distribution yields two possible answers, whereas sttict PEMDAS yields only 288.

But you do agree that there are a possibility of three answers, but you still champion 288. That's a $$%!% move. Stand by your word and say that the answer is undefinable.

I don't know why no one called your !%! out on that earlier. Pitiful.

Yes, there is a possibility of three answers...ESPECIALLY AFTER YOU RESORT TO MATHEMATICAL PROPERTIES THAT SHOULDN'T EVEN BE APPLIED, WORD TO THE DISTRIBUTIVE PROPERTY...
eyes.gif

If you tackle the math the way it's supposed to be done, there is only one answer = 288.

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

Originally Posted by cesarhpr1986

Originally Posted by MECKS

true or false
a(b+c) can be written as (ab+bc) ?

following this logic. you have to do the a(b+c) first, because its a division symbol. not / which would have made it 48/2 or 24/1 (a fraction)
FALSE
a(b+c) can be written as ab+ac

Already schooled him on it but you are either the first or 2nd person outside of me that understands distribution. So for that I give you props.
solve 15+3(2x1)

like i said a(b+c0 DOES = ab+ac but in an equation such as above you have to consider it as (ab+ac)
(my bad with the typo above i just realized i put " b " where the a should be )

true or false
a(b+c) can be written as (ab+bc) ?

following this logic. you have to do the a(b+c) first, because its a division symbol. not / which would have made it 48/2 or 24/1 (a fraction)
FALSE

Already schooled him on it but you are either the first or 2nd person outside of me that understands distribution. So for that I give you props.
solve 15+3(2x1)

like i said a(b+c0 DOES = ab+ac but in an equation such as above you have to consider it as (ab+ac)

FALSE

solve 15+3(2x1)

The distributive property is handy to help you get rid of parentheses

a(b + c) = ab + ac

http://math.about.com/od/algebra/a/distributive.htm

FALSE

solve 15+3(2x1)

The distributive property is handy to help you get rid of parentheses

a(b + c) = ab + ac

http://math.about.com/od/algebra/a/distributive.htm

for everyone championing wolfram alpha and TI calculators. input -11^2 and what do you get? if you square a negative, you always get a positive number right?

according to wolfram alpha, that would be wrong.

Spoiler [+]

for everyone championing wolfram alpha and TI calculators. input -11^2 and what do you get? if you square a negative, you always get a positive number right?

Spoiler [+]

Originally Posted by do work son

Spoiler [+]

Of course it's going to be negative if you don't put the parentheses around 
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

When you write it as -11^2

It is saying -1 x 11^2

Therefore, you square the 11 first (PEMDAS)

Then multiply by -1, hence -121. 

Why do you guys INSIST on saying Wolfram Alpha and calculators don't work? Ya'll are some clowns for real.

Stop posting, you are bringing up horrible points. 

Spoiler [+]

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

It is saying -1 x 11^2

Why do you guys INSIST on saying Wolfram Alpha and calculators don't work? Ya'll are some clowns for real.

Originally Posted by CertifiedSW

Spoiler [+]

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

It is saying -1 x 11^2

you're arguing an implied parenthesis like so -(11)^2 but when i say there is an implied parenthesis around 2(9+3), im wrong? oh ok.

Spoiler [+]

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

It is saying -1 x 11^2

you're arguing an implied parenthesis like so -(11)^2 but when i say there is an implied parenthesis around 2(9+3), im wrong? oh ok.

Spoiler [+]

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

It is saying -1 x 11^2

so now you argue an implied parenthesis, but when i say there is an implied parenthesis around 2(9+3), im wrong? oh ok.
WHERE DID I IMPLY THAT THERE WAS A PARENTHESES ANYWHERE??? I SAID, OF COURSE IT'S GOING TO BE NEGATIVE IF YOU DO NOT PUT PARENTHESES AROUND THE -11 TRYING TO PROVE MY POINT THAT WOLFRAM ALPHA WORKS CORRECTLY YOU LAME. 
Some of you are so stubborn that you make stupid !@# comments. Did I just not prove your stupid !@# theory wrong as well? CAN YOU ADMIT THAT?

YOU DO NOT KNOW MATH. IT IS EVIDENT FROM YOUR POSTS THAT YOU ARE CLEARLY CONFUSED.

Spoiler [+]

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

It is saying -1 x 11^2

so now you argue an implied parenthesis, but when i say there is an implied parenthesis around 2(9+3), im wrong? oh ok.
WHERE DID I IMPLY THAT THERE WAS A PARENTHESES ANYWHERE??? I SAID, OF COURSE IT'S GOING TO BE NEGATIVE IF YOU DO NOT PUT PARENTHESES AROUND THE -11 TRYING TO PROVE MY POINT THAT WOLFRAM ALPHA WORKS CORRECTLY YOU LAME. 
Some of you are so stubborn that you make stupid !@# comments. Did I just not prove your stupid !@# theory wrong as well? CAN YOU ADMIT THAT?

YOU DO NOT KNOW MATH. IT IS EVIDENT FROM YOUR POSTS THAT YOU ARE CLEARLY CONFUSED.

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

It is saying -1 x 11^2

if you square -11, you don't get a negative number
eyes.gif

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

It is saying -1 x 11^2

if you square -11, you don't get a negative number
eyes.gif

Back
Top Bottom