48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by OptimusADL

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

Originally Posted by IRockTMacs

Originally Posted by OptimusADL

You arent making sense. 0.5 is 1/2 just different forms of the same number.
1/2x = 1/2(x) = 0.5x

1/2x != 1/(2x)

This is why parentheses are important.
Can't you just re-write that
[h3]÷2[/h3]at the start as (1/2) with no repercussions?

If I'm wrong in saying so then my logic is flawed.
No you can't do that, because doing so would change what's written.

48÷2(9+3) =/= 48÷2 x (9+3)

Those equations are the same. You just cant add imaginary parentheses.
No, they are not the same.

Interesting, I originally came up with 2 as well.. but,
48÷2(9+3) = ???

48÷2(12) = ???

which is essentially:

48÷2x12 = ??? (because the only purpose of the parentheses is to make sure 9+3 is done first, otherwise the equation would look like 48÷2 x 9+3, which would yield a completely different answer)

And since multiplication and division are equal using the PEMDAS method, going left to right takes precedence.

The answer is therefore 288.

48÷2(9+3) = ???

48÷2(12) = ???

which is essentially:

48÷2x12 = ??? (because the only purpose of the parentheses is to make sure 9+3 is done first, otherwise the equation would look like 48÷2 x 9+3, which would yield a completely different answer)

And since multiplication and division are equal using the PEMDAS method, going left to right takes precedence.

Originally Posted by CHRISblazinNJ

Originally Posted by hella handsome

Originally Posted by empirestrikesfirst

48/2 (9+3) =
48/2 (12) =

48/24 =

Exactly how I did it in my head. No idea where 288 came from. Some people forgot their order of operations? 
Exactly. I'm still trying to figure out how they got 288.
288 because if its just multiplication and division you work left to right after you finish whats in the parenthesis

here

Originally Posted by CHRISblazinNJ

Originally Posted by hella handsome

Originally Posted by empirestrikesfirst

48/2 (9+3) =
48/2 (12) =

48/24 =

Exactly how I did it in my head. No idea where 288 came from. Some people forgot their order of operations? 
Exactly. I'm still trying to figure out how they got 288.
288 because if its just multiplication and division you work left to right after you finish whats in the parenthesis

here

Originally Posted by nocomment6

Originally Posted by derrty6232

From neogaf :
c7036d1d13e40a9ca5375cc10646a9593b93a666_r.jpg

eee165180daa520ba459e5283312522bdf9ce2e6_r.jpg

roll.gif

*@#@$# is making all kinds of acronyms.
laugh.gif
hhahahahaha
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I'm DONE 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

Originally Posted by 13ROWNIE

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

The problem lies in the fact people think a parentheses symbol is equivalent to a multiplication symbol. It's not. Like someone said earlier, people are just tossing in an X and calling it a day. That's not how it works. If there's no symbol separating the 2 and the parenthetical, then they are attached and must be resolved together. Even in math class we were taught to envision an imaginary bracket around such combinations.
this.
emphasis.
2 * (9 + 3) is not the same as 2(9 + 3)

2 * (9 + 3) is the same as 2 * 1(9 +3)

See where you guys are going wrong? The 2(9 + 3) has to be resolved together.
A * (B+C) is the same as A(B+C) 
What matters is what "A" represents.

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

Yes. The question is not poorly written, some of you are just trying to create new math.
The problem lies in the fact people think a parentheses symbol is equivalent to a multiplication symbol. It's not. Like someone said earlier, people are just tossing in an X and calling it a day. That's not how it works. If there's no symbol separating the 2 and the parenthetical, then they are attached and must be resolved together. Even in math class we were taught to envision an imaginary bracket around such combinations.
this.
emphasis.

/thread

Originally Posted by eddiehouse5

Yes. The question is not poorly written, some of you are just trying to create new math.
this.
emphasis.

/thread

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

48÷2(9+3) = ???

48÷2(12) = ???

which is essentially:

darkside.jpg

P.S. What in the world makes y'all thing the 2 is attached to the parentheses and must be done second? It signals to multiply. BUT there is division before it in the problem, from left to right, so that MUST be done first.

48 / 2(9+3) = 48 / (2 * 1(9+3))
= 48 / (2 * 12)
= 48 / 24
= 2
You can't just throw in parentheses
grin.gif

this.
emphasis.

A * (B+C) is the same as A(B+C) 
What matters is what "A" represents.

Originally Posted by illmaticsoulchild

48÷2(9+3) = ???

48÷2(12) = ???

which is essentially:

darkside.jpg

P.S. What in the world makes y'all thing the 2 is attached to the parentheses and must be done second? It signals to multiply. BUT there is division before it in the problem, from left to right, so that MUST be done first.

48 / 2(9+3) = 48 / (2 * 1(9+3))
= 48 / (2 * 12)
= 48 / 24
= 2
You can't just throw in parentheses
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Carver

Obviously you do the (3+9) first because it's in the parenthesis, giving you:

48÷2(12) which can be rewritten as 48÷2*12

Since ÷ and * are the same in order of operations, you go from left to right so 48÷2*12 = 24*12 = 288.
Quoting myself for truth.

Back
Top Bottom