48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by do work son

Originally Posted by usainboltisfast

Originally Posted by do work son

the problem doesnt read 48/2(9+3), it reads 48÷2(9+3).

the same way you say that i assume because i added another set of parenthesis, i say you're assuming by adding parenthesis to make it (48÷2)(9+3).
my point is: there is a division sign, not a /. when you change it from  ÷ to a / you open up a venue for misinterpretation(whether its 48/2 times (9+3) or if it is 48 divided by 2(9+3) ), which in my opinion, is where the 288 believers have been led astray.
THE DIVISION SYMBOL DOES NOT SEPERATE FRACTIONS. Only a horizontal line indicates a fraction. Im not adding a parenthesis because its not needed if you go by order of operations you will get the answer. You cant find any evidence of the division symbol indicating a complete fraction for an equation. Im giving you the opportunity now to find proof of your belief. Obviously if you cant find proof your belief is false.

The irony of your screenname.

You're doing a little too much work.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by kingcrux31

It's sad how 75 pages later a lot of the math trolls still insist the answer is 288.
laugh.gif

It is though, I don't see why that's so hard to understand.

2(12) does not count as the P in PEMDAS. It counts as M, and if you do it that way, you get 288. P refers to things inside parentheses.

It's sad how 75 pages later a lot of the math trolls still insist the answer is 288.
laugh.gif

2(12) does not count as the P in PEMDAS. It counts as M, and if you do it that way, you get 288. P refers to things inside parentheses.

i have an assignment for everybody this week: stop by your schools' tutoring lab or any body in  math department/building (or physics engineering)

name your school (this should be fun)

and of course explain your answers

who is down?
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by The Yes Guy

laugh.gif

when solving 2(12) you distribute the 2 to the 12.

distributive property comes into play in the problem as well...

TEAM 2

laugh.gif

TEAM 2

i have an assignment for everybody this week: stop by your schools' tutoring lab or any body in  math department/building (or physics engineering)

name your school (this should be fun)

and of course explain your answers

who is down?
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by cbrooks3

laugh.gif

TEAM 2
That's not distributing, that's just multiplying. Distributing would be if it was 2(12+x), but if it's just one variable, you're just multiplying. Notice how "Distributing" isn't a letter in PEMDAS?

Originally Posted by cbrooks3

laugh.gif

TEAM 2
That's not distributing, that's just multiplying. Distributing would be if it was 2(12+x), but if it's just one variable, you're just multiplying. Notice how "Distributing" isn't a letter in PEMDAS?

as TheHealthInspector pointed out,

if the 2 really was part of the parentheses

2(9+3)^2 

would have you multiplying the 2 to the 12 before you do the exponent because parentheses come before exponents in the order of operations. If anybody thinks is true, I give up 
indifferent.gif

Therefore, terms that are NOT inside the parentheses should not be lumped together with them.

as TheHealthInspector pointed out,

if the 2 really was part of the parentheses

2(9+3)^2 

would have you multiplying the 2 to the 12 before you do the exponent because parentheses come before exponents in the order of operations. If anybody thinks is true, I give up 
indifferent.gif

Therefore, terms that are NOT inside the parentheses should not be lumped together with them.

MY GOD.

The answer is NOT 288!!

It's 2.

The presence of parentheses indicates where order of operations should begin, doesnt matter whether the numerical term is inside or outside of them..

If you are a Mathematician or Engineer and you said 288.. may God have mercy on your soul..

just kidding, the answer is still 2 tho..

MY GOD.

The answer is NOT 288!!

It's 2.

The presence of parentheses indicates where order of operations should begin, doesnt matter whether the numerical term is inside or outside of them..

If you are a Mathematician or Engineer and you said 288.. may God have mercy on your soul..

just kidding, the answer is still 2 tho..

Back
Top Bottom