48÷2(9+3) = ???

Originally Posted by IRockTMacs

Originally Posted by UnkleTomCruze

Multiplication has precedence over Division, h/e the same rule doesn't apply to the addition and subtraction because they are lesser operations.

Who taught you that? I'm curious cause I've never heard that. In Canada it's taught BEDMAS and that's because multi/divisi are interchangeable. Unless you mean in this specific equation, in which case I still think you're wrong.

1. Please Excuse My   ear Aunt Sally (PEMDAS); it doesn't go, Please Excuse Dear My Aunt Sally...
eyes.gif

2. Canada?...nuff said.

Multiplication has precedence over Division, h/e the same rule doesn't apply to the addition and subtraction because they are lesser operations.

Who taught you that? I'm curious cause I've never heard that. In Canada it's taught BEDMAS and that's because multi/divisi are interchangeable. Unless you mean in this specific equation, in which case I still think you're wrong.

1. Please Excuse My   ear Aunt Sally (PEMDAS); it doesn't go, Please Excuse Dear My Aunt Sally...
eyes.gif

2. Canada?...nuff said.

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

Originally Posted by OptimusADL

indifferent.gif

"b(c+d)" is one entity. You can't separate them. Thats like trying to make a triangle have angles that don't equal 180 degrees; it's not possible. If anything you'll have to distribute to make b(c+d) = bc+bd. That's why the parenthesis has primacy over every other operation.

So what would ab(c+d) be? 
You cant add parentheses that aren't in the original equation.
Who's adding parenthesis? I was just distributing the parenthetical expressions into a binomial.

ab(c+d) would be the same as (abc + abd)
So why isn't this equation, with 48(1/2)(9+3) distributed like that?

a=48
b=1/2
c=9
d=3

Jeezus Christ this thread is scary.

The O.g equation can also be re-written as: 48/(2(9+3)) or 48/(18+6).

Either case should result in 2 as your answer.

The two in the original equation is attached to the (9+3). You cannot separate the 2 from the (9+3).

All y'all getting 288 honestly need to commit that because we can't afford to have y'all spreading y'all genes.

288?...
sick.gif
sick.gif

since when?  Multiplication and Division are done in the order that they appear, after parenthesis and exponents are done
that PEMDAS thing was a bad thing to teach because it's not completely true, unless kids remember the exceptions that go with it

not just the order of the words.

This standard is critical to simplifying and solving different algebra problems. Without it, two different people may interpret an equation or expression in different ways and come up with different answers. The Order of Operations is shown below.
  1. Parentheses and Brackets -- Simplify the inside of parentheses and brackets before you deal with the exponent (if any) of the set of parentheses or remove the parentheses.
  2. Exponents -- Simplify the exponent of a number or of a set of parentheses before you multiply, divide, add, or subtract it.
  3. Multiplication and Division -- Simplify multiplication and division in the order that they appear from left to right.
  4. Addition and Subtraction -- Simplify addition and subtraction in the order that they appear from left to right.

indifferent.gif

"b(c+d)" is one entity. You can't separate them. Thats like trying to make a triangle have angles that don't equal 180 degrees; it's not possible. If anything you'll have to distribute to make b(c+d) = bc+bd. That's why the parenthesis has primacy over every other operation.

Who's adding parenthesis? I was just distributing the parenthetical expressions into a binomial.

a=48
b=1/2
c=9
d=3

Jeezus Christ this thread is scary.

The O.g equation can also be re-written as: 48/(2(9+3)) or 48/(18+6).

Either case should result in 2 as your answer.

The two in the original equation is attached to the (9+3). You cannot separate the 2 from the (9+3).

All y'all getting 288 honestly need to commit that because we can't afford to have y'all spreading y'all genes.

288?...
sick.gif
sick.gif

since when?  Multiplication and Division are done in the order that they appear, after parenthesis and exponents are done
that PEMDAS thing was a bad thing to teach because it's not completely true, unless kids remember the exceptions that go with it

not just the order of the words.

This standard is critical to simplifying and solving different algebra problems. Without it, two different people may interpret an equation or expression in different ways and come up with different answers. The Order of Operations is shown below.
  1. Parentheses and Brackets -- Simplify the inside of parentheses and brackets before you deal with the exponent (if any) of the set of parentheses or remove the parentheses.
  2. Exponents -- Simplify the exponent of a number or of a set of parentheses before you multiply, divide, add, or subtract it.
  3. Multiplication and Division -- Simplify multiplication and division in the order that they appear from left to right.
  4. Addition and Subtraction -- Simplify addition and subtraction in the order that they appear from left to right.

Answer is two, quit debating about this. If you think it's 288, you clearly failed Algebra. Lock this up cousin.

1. Please Excuse My  
grin.gif
ear Aunt Sally (PEMDAS); it doesn't go, Please Excuse Dear My Aunt Sally...
eyes.gif

2. Canada?...nuff said.

To quote yourself,

you
honestly need to commit that because we can't afford to have y'all spreading y'all genes.

1. Please Excuse My  
grin.gif
ear Aunt Sally (PEMDAS); it doesn't go, Please Excuse Dear My Aunt Sally...
eyes.gif

2. Canada?...nuff said.

To quote yourself,

you
honestly need to commit that because we can't afford to have y'all spreading y'all genes.

Answer is two, quit debating about this. If you think it's 288, you clearly failed Algebra. Lock this up cousin.

eyes.gif
Let me dumb this down for you
P E MD AS

division = multiplication of the reciprocal 

subtraction = addition of a negative number 

multiplication has precedence over multiplication? 
indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

Exactly.
So following that model a/b(c+d) is the same as ((a/b)c+(a/b)d).

There are no parentheses around the b(c+d) so you should be distributing "a/b" or "1/b" not just "b".

Originally Posted by Il

No, you, clearly failed. Lock you up

Originally Posted by Il

No, you, clearly failed. Lock you up

eyes.gif
Let me dumb this down for you
P E MD AS

division = multiplication of the reciprocal 

subtraction = addition of a negative number 

multiplication has precedence over multiplication? 
indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif

a=48
b=1/2
c=9
d=3
Because it doesn't adhere to the distributive property rule. Y'all making this way too complicated.

indifferent.gif

Exactly.
So following that model a/b(c+d) is the same as ((a/b)c+(a/b)d).

There are no parentheses around the b(c+d) so you should be distributing "a/b" or "1/b" not just "b".

indifferent.gif

a=48
b=1/2
c=9
d=3
Because it doesn't adhere to the distributive property rule. Y'all making this way too complicated.

Back
Top Bottom