40k salary for a job you like or 100k for a job you don't like?

Depends how much I like it and how much I hate the other job.

If it's my dream job, love every hour of work type of thing, I'll easily take the 40k job. Money is just a means. It's not the goal itself. If my happiness cost 60k a year, I'll pay it.
How old are you? 

The funny thing about this thread is most americans dislike their current situation and dont make anywhere near 100K lol 
Yup, our median income in this country fell way behind expenses accross the board. No more balance in our economy.

I'm taking solely my income. 100k isn't enough money anywhere in the US.

Get the f outta here with that lol. There are people living comfortably with less than that. You're not even putting any reasoning behind your blanket statement.
What do you want a full budget analysis? I don't think that's necessary, point blank 100k salary just isn't enough money.

I'm not asking for a full excel spreadsheet but you're telling me you cant break down in a couple sentences why 100k isn't enough instead of repeating the same thing over and over?
You won't be able to save enough
You won't be able to invest enough
Your discretionary spending is limited.

I don't make 100K

I live in a 5 month old house I had built in a gated community in one of the wealthiest counties in Texas.

I have almost 100K in my retirement account and 6 months of living expenses in the bank.

I have wife, a kid and I can still pretty much buy whatever I want within reason.

The **** you talking about man?

Ok wait a second

100k you can live comfortable but not ballin, I agree with the other stuf he said.

100k and your spouse has a job that's the key.

One person making 65k and the other making 80k is good living

You want like at least 150k household imo in 2016 minimum. Just keeping it real.

I need that at least I damn well plan on it.

Last edited:
I don't make 100K

I live in a 5 month old house I had built in a gated community in one of the wealthiest counties in Texas.

I have almost 100K in my retirement account and 6 months of living expenses in the bank.

I have wife, a kid and I can still pretty much buy whatever I want within reason.

You live in TX which plays a major factor into how much disposable income one has. 

Im not sure where @Antidope  lives but if he lives in NYC then Id say he correct 100K isnt much here. While on paper sounds good, you would just be living like someone making 50% less elsewhere. 

While salary is a major part of ones quality of life there are other factors that contribute to it, that said I dont think the heart of the thread question is can you survive/live on 100k but would you trade money for happiness. And based on the fact that most people dont like their jobs Id say take the 100K and enjoy the other 16hrs of the day lol 

A 150K household in Dallas and you can live pretty damn comfortably.

I don't make 100K

You live in TX which plays a major factor into how much disposable income one has. 

Im not sure where @Antidope
 lives but if he lives in NYC then Id say he correct 100K isnt much here. While on paper sounds good, you would just be living like someone making 50% less elsewhere. 

While salary is a major part of ones quality of life there are other factors that contribute to it, that said I dont think the heart of the thread question is can you survive/live on 100k but would you trade money for happiness. And based on the fact that most people dont like their jobs Id say take the 100K and enjoy the other 16hrs of the day lol 

Dude said 100K isn't enough anywhere in the country, which is the only reason why I responded.

100K in Dallas as a single person and we talking about having enough money to max out your 401K, drive whatever you want up to 50K, own a home and an investment property.

Dude said 100K isn't enough anywhere in the country, which is the only reason why I responded.

Yea thats just a childish comment he made. I mean its pretty obvious living in AL aint the same as NY. 

I have a homie who lives in Dallas area and every time he tells me how much it cost to live there vs NY I just 
mean.gif

Yea thats just a childish comment he made. I mean its pretty obvious living in AL aint the same as NY. 

I have a homie who lives in Dallas area and every time he tells me how much it cost to live there vs NY I just :smh:  

Unless I was making 300K there is just no way I could live in New York metro.

Just doesn't make sense, New York is a great place to visit but naw.

I don't make 100K

And based on the fact that most people dont like their jobs Id say take the 100K and enjoy the other 16hrs of the day lol 
16 hours though. You gotta sleep, do errands, etc.

40k is still lower middle class in 99% of cities in America, you guys act like you'll be living in poverty with 40k.

Once upon a time I had to support myself on $30k for 4 years in Jacksonville (FL) working at a call center (tech support) and it was horrible. I did have savings though, so even though I was paycheck-to-paycheck on monthly expenses, I had a cushion for emergencies. Single, no kids, rent was $750, no car note, internet (no TV subscription), etc... On a side note, my current job pays me close to triple what I made at the call center (working IT in Houston now) and I actually like the job, so all you young NT'ers, don't let a bad situation keep you down, stay focused and keep grinding.

Anyways, if it were just me (single, no kids) OR my wife worked and made a similar wage, I would make that deal for 40k in a heartbeat. I've seen stress beat down people at work, and it can be debilitating mentally.

BUT, if I had a family and I was the sole breadwinner, probably not. I can handle stress at work and can compartmentalize, but a lack of funds can tear a family apart. No thank you.

Once upon a time I had to support myself on $30k for 4 years in Jacksonville (FL) working at a call center (tech support) and it was horrible. I did have savings though, so even though I was paycheck-to-paycheck on monthly expenses, I had a cushion for emergencies. Single, no kids, rent was $750, no car note, internet (no TV subscription), etc... On a side note, my current job pays me close to triple what I made at the call center (working IT in Houston now) and I actually like the job, so all you young NT'ers, don't let a bad situation keep you down, stay focused and keep grinding.

Anyways, if it were just me (single, no kids) OR my wife worked and made a similar wage, I would make that deal for 40k in a heartbeat. I've seen stress beat down people at work, and it can be debilitating mentally.

BUT, if I had a family and I was the sole breadwinner, probably not. I can handle stress at work and can compartmentalize, but a lack of funds can tear a family apart. No thank you.

Similar story, but shared a spot with my family so the expenses had to stretch a bit further. I could have been better off alone, but I was helping to maintain a 4 bedroom home so everyone could be comfortable. I was so broke, I became broken, a shell of myself. Like I was stuck and couldn't do ****. At the time I went fantasy house shopping with the woman I was dating. By the end of that tour is when I really fell in love and knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her. Just seeing her face light up, "this is where... This is for the kids..." etc and it didn't freak me out. I went into a full on depression after that when I checked my account and realized I couldn't do ****. The depression basically made me obnoxious and I sabotaged the **** outta my relationship with her, friends and family. I had to pick myself up, leave town and find better. Glad I went through it, it's almost impossible to go back to after rising from it. She's long gone, I have less friends, family still holds me down now, but life is great. I say all that ******** to say 100k all day, spend the time off work nurturing your relationships/improving your quality of life.

Last edited:
A year ago I wouldve choosen the 100k job, but being miserable at work takes a toll on you.

Similar story, but shared a spot with my family so the expenses had to stretch a bit further. I could have been better off alone, but I was helping to maintain a 4 bedroom home so everyone could be comfortable. I was so broke, I became broken, a shell of myself. Like I was stuck and couldn't do ****. At the time I went fantasy house shopping with the woman I was dating. By the end of that tour is when I really fell in love and knew I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her. Just seeing her face light up, "this is where... This is for the kids..." etc and it didn't freak me out. I went into a full on depression after that when I checked my account and realized I couldn't do ****. The depression basically made me obnoxious and I sabotaged the **** outta my relationship with her, friends and family. I had to pick myself up, leave town and find better. Glad I went through it, it's almost impossible to go back to after rising from it. She's long gone, I have less friends, family still holds me down now, but life is great. I say all that ******** to say 100k all day, spend the time off work nurturing your relationships/improving your quality of life.
@Mark Antony

smokin.gif

3000 mortgage= definitely need more than 80k per year

4500 monthly living expenses =100 k

VS

800 rent = prolly 40k will have you being ok

2000 living expense = 52-55

Lifestyles.

Last edited:
One of my closest friends had a great job w/ Deloitte. He left there to take a promotion with a Chinese hedge fund. He told me he pretty much sold his soul and hates his new gig. Dude is losing his hair, works insane hours, and never sees his family. The worst is they don't recognize American holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas, so he's in the office on those days.

His salary is insane, but he's not happy at all.

Ain't worth it man. Time with the wife and kids get sacrificed to kill yourself basically. All that money and no time to spend it. Can't see the smiles Christmas morning, exchange stories thanksgiving day. The older I get the more those type of things mean to me.

At this time in my life, i'd do it for a 2-3 years, stack up. Travel a year, come back and get a 40k job i love.

If i was in a spot with a wife and kids, not sure i'd sacrifice my happiness for more money. If wifey and me making 40 each, we can make it.

man i thought anyone who made over 40k was balling but come to find out the majority think its weak...
ohwell.gif

The cost of living disparity is so crazy when you compare NYC/Cali. I live in Indiana about 10 minutes outside of Louisville. I had an offer from my company to move to California in the same position and the raise would have been a little over 60k to be considered at a lateral pay scale.

Right out of college I was making about 75k and was doing well. No kids and no wife. My monthly bills were under 2k. Now married with 2 kids no way I could have lived the same. I make substantially more than what I started at 10 years ago but my bills are 150% higher as well. My mortgage alone is more than all of my bills combined when I was single. At 100k here and single managing your money for retirement I think I could have retired before 50. But I was investing in rental properties by the time I was 24. Now at 32 I have a decent portfolio along with being paid very well at my job. But I lucked out, I enjoy my work and I barely work 40 hours a week.

40k I live in the south. I'll pass on being miserable and stressed out. No praying for the time to go by just for i can get out of that hell hole. I'd do something else on the side to make more.

Last edited:
Unless I was making 300K there is just no way I could live in New York metro.

Just doesn't make sense, New York is a great place to visit but naw.
300k you would be living pretty good  but 200K is fine. 

NYC not for everyone it has many pluses as well as minuses 

16 hours though. You gotta sleep, do errands, etc.

40k is still lower middle class in 99% of cities in America, you guys act like you'll be living in poverty with 40k.
Your forgetting wkend and holidays 

40K after taxes is like 25-30K depending on local so if you want something at that net salary your more than likely going to use your credit which is why most americans carry debit ( and a lot of it) 

When I started my career it was 32K but if I was offered a job at the time for 100K Id take in a heartbeat. Id probably be retired by now lol 

Back
Top Bottom