24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

School me then.
nerd.gif
Don't pay for **** until you get everything in writing. 

You're gonna pay, then they're gonna disappear without ever doing anything to your credit. 

For everyone with Chase Sapphire Reserve: Is there an easy way to hit the 4k in 3 months limit? I've heard of people purchasing Visa Debit Gift cards and transferring the cash to someone with Venmo.... anyone know if this is a possibility?
If you try that Visa Gift Card jig, start small to make sure it works.  Some people buy the gift cards, then use the gift card to buy Money Orders, then deposit the Money Order into their bank account to then pay their credit card bill. 

Other options include:  

- Paying rent/mortgage via plastiq.com - they charge 2.5% I think, but easy way to hit that $4k limit. 

- Pre-pay your auto/renter's insurance for 6month to a whole year, instead of monthly payments (if you ever cancel, they will pro-rate your refund)

- Buy gift cards to places that you would go to eat / shop at anyway.  Example:  Go to Kroger and buy $500 Kroger gift card, then just use the gift card to pay for groceries.  Or buy Nike / BestBuy / restaurants / whatever you would already spend money on gift cards

Lol they don't always disappear . When I had something in collections the owner of the company wouldn't send a letter, because he got burned too many time with people altering the letter to say it was paid off.

I had to pay and just take his word. He removed it immediately , so it really just depends.

If you try that Visa Gift Card jig, start small to make sure it works.  Some people buy the gift cards, then use the gift card to buy Money Orders, then deposit the Money Order into their bank account to then pay their credit card bill. 

Other options include:  

- Paying rent/mortgage via plastiq.com - they charge 2.5% I think, but easy way to hit that $4k limit. 

- Pre-pay your auto/renter's insurance for 6month to a whole year, instead of monthly payments (if you ever cancel, they will pro-rate your refund)

- Buy gift cards to places that you would go to eat / shop at anyway.  Example:  Go to Kroger and buy $500 Kroger gift card, then just use the gift card to pay for groceries.  Or buy Nike / BestBuy / restaurants / whatever you would already spend money on gift cards

First time hearing of that Money Order thing but couldn't you just abuse use this to run your credit card to gain points?

Other options include:  

First time hearing of that Money Order thing but couldn't you just abuse use this to run your credit card to gain points?

You could but I'm sure the CC company would notice but I could be wrong

Other options include:  

Other options include:  

You could but I'm sure the CC company would notice but I could be wrong

People do this all the time. It's called "churning." Folk on the interwebs run literally millions of dolllars every month for points.

Chase and Citi doesn't seem to care. Amex does.

Wtf

What about discover. Would have done that long ago to get them Nike gift cards for free :x

Also considering it's a new year where can we go to review our credit scores for free, for some reason Citi's credit wise app keeps telling me i'm still establishing credit and won't pull anything up. :smh:

Also considering it's a new year where can we go to review our credit scores for free, for some reason Citi's credit wise app keeps telling me i'm still establishing credit and won't pull anything up.
mean.gif
Discover has free FICO score

Aight fellas, looking for advice.

I currently have three credit cards with chase. The latest one being the sapphire reserve with over 10K credit limit.
The other two having a limit of 3k.

The question is do I consolidate the free cards and just go with the sapphire reserve and get the higher limit on that?

The two cards I would be closing are the older cards of the three.

What are the pros and cons to doing this?

I currently have three credit cards with chase. The latest one being the sapphire reserve with over 10K credit limit.

The question is do I consolidate the free cards and just go with the sapphire reserve and get the higher limit on that?

Pros -- fewer cards with higher credit limits

Cons -- closing out your cards = credit score drop

How long have you had these cards? You could also consider diversifying beyond Chase cards.

Last edited:

No point in closing the other cards. Unless you're planning on running up a 10k+ bill, I don't understand why you would do this.

Paid off another collection debt.... Credit karma updates tommorow for me....curious to see where I stand.

I mean am I wrong tho? Once your **** goes to collections it stays on your record unless you get them to delete it

My credit score has gone up after paying it, and getting them to delete it......my score has gone up 40 points since late/nov- dec

Last edited:

Keep the older ones open, as "oldest line of credit" impacts your credit score.  Just throw them in your desk drawer or something, never to use again (unless needed).  You could charge something to them infrequently, just so some activity stays alive but I don't think this is 100% needed. 

Cons of closing them = average age of your credit will decrease, and thus decrease your credit score. 

I have my first Visa from when I was 18 still open, but have only used it like 3x in the last 5 years. 

Lot of people do it every single day. 

That said, a lot of places that sell Money Orders will no longer let you buy them using Visa Gift Cards, especially if they are just generic.  One way to get around this, is to buy the Gift Cards online where they actually stamp your name into them - so it looks like a debit card. 

Still need to be careful in general doing these types of things.  A lot of illegal activities use the same methods, such as money laundering, dirty money, and terrorism... which is why a lot of people/places have cracked down on it. 

Back
Top Bottom