24 Looking to build Credit... What are some good tips on your first Credit Card

Pretty good but your score would be much higher if you stopped opening and closing cards so frequently.

Oddly enough, I applied for this card earlier. The customer service rep told me about the new offer which is great but I wish the 0% interest was still for the first 15 months instead of just 12 months.

Question for anyone who's recently applied for an AMEX card:

How long does the application process take ?

I applied around noon and I'm still waiting for approval. is this normal ?

I thought the process would be much quicker.

Thanks in advance.

Pretty good but your score would be much higher if you stopped opening and closing cards so frequently.

Oddly enough, I applied for this card earlier. The customer service rep told me about the new offer which is great but I wish the 0% interest was still for the first 15 months instead of just 12 months.

Question for anyone who's recently applied for an AMEX card:

How long does the application process take ?

I applied around noon and I'm still waiting for approval. is this normal ?

I thought the process would be much quicker.

Thanks in advance.

I already know everything you're telling me. I don't mind losing a few points because it saves me thousands when I travel, which I love doing. There are tons of people doing what I do on TPG's website and have scores around 800 including TPG himself. I have a paid tax lien on my report. Its my only negative and it's going to fall off in October. From what I read, I should see a nice bump on my credit score when it does.

Regarding amex, call the reconsideration line.

http://travelsort.com/blog/credit-card-denied-call-these-reconsideration-phone-numbers

Last edited:
dam itz lou dam itz lou In that case, continue doing what you're doing and disregard my criticism. Sound like you're using the points system right. :smokin

Btw, I got approved for the AMEX card this morning. Apparently, the application process took longer than usual because they received a lot of inquiries due to the new promotion.

Thanks for the help.

Company responded
Equifax 3-Bureau Credit Report and Scores said:
Explanation of closure
Equifax has reviewed your complaint and its records regarding your dispute. The Judgement has been deleted from the credit file. Written confirmation has been mailed.
Relief
The Judgement has been deleted from file.

One more bureau to go. CFPB is the truth. :pimp:

Last edited:
Some times i wonder. i have about 1,500 in credit throughout cards. Then i see some of you guys post your numbers. i wondered, there had to be a guy out there that blew a tab on a party night. dropped like an accidental couple grand trying to stunt. and is paying that back by card now.. 

Got an e-mail from citibank letting me know I could view my updated FICO score. Found out it is 733 :smokin...Comin for that 800 score.

If you're paying back a collections agency yes try to get it in writing from them that they will delete it from your report upon payment of possible. You have negotiating power before you pay them but they are not obligated to delete it. In fact some collections agency's will not do a pay for delete because it is against the rules or frowned upon or something. Use the fact that you will pay them in full if they delete it off of your credit report as leverage. Because if the paid collection still stays on your report it will stay there for 7 years before it falls off and the clock will start over from the last date of action on the account (whatever day you pay off the collection)
the part in bold is false...

Some times i wonder. i have about 1,500 in credit throughout cards. Then i see some of you guys post your numbers. i wondered, there had to be a guy out there that blew a tab on a party night. dropped like an accidental couple grand trying to stunt. and is paying that back by card now.. 
Lol bro im sure theres ppl in crazy debt buying rounds for the bar or trying to impress girls
Correct, they would be called suckas.

I have acess to more than 35k in credit.

Never happened to me though.

But for sure it happens out there. Life of the party for one night then you struggke for months... Nah i'm good.

Damn that tax lien was pulling it way down :smokin

Btw so that I never run into some Tax Lien problem how did that pop up on your credit or explain the story if you dont mind me asking

Last edited:

Nice :pimp:. Creeping up on the 800s

Now how did you utilize that website to get it taken off early? I didn't quite catch what you were talking about.

the part in bold is false...

Preciate the correction. Im getting it mixed up with something else. I think your score drops if the activity date is renewed to a more recent date. Let me know if I'm wrong about that too and I wont give anymore information about collections :lol:

Collections and Public Records take your score way down. When my only collection was removed my score jumped 70-80 points.

Damn that tax lien was pulling it way down :smokin

Btw so that I never run into some Tax Lien problem how did that pop up on your credit or explain the story if you dont mind me asking

Back in 2011 I was working 2 jobs, in school, and didn't have a lot of money. When it was time to do my taxes I thought i'd be getting a refund. I was wrong, I owed 600. I kept pushing it off for a long time. I was getting letters about the tax lien and then one day the IRS just took the money out of my bank account. It becomes a public record and thats how credit bureaus get it on your report.

I can't believe it was hurting my score that much. I paid it in 2012. I read over time it lessens its effect it has on your score once its paid. I was expecting a 20 pt bump. It was scheduled to come off in october (5 years).

Nice :pimp:. Creeping up on the 800s

Now how did you utilize that website to get it taken off early? I didn't quite catch what you were talking about.
Preciate the correction. Im getting it mixed up with something else. I think your score drops if the activity date is renewed to a more recent date. Let me know if I'm wrong about that too and I wont give anymore information about collections :lol:

Go to the CFPB site and click on file a complaint. I asked them to provide proof of the judgment. I guess they were too lazy to check since it was coming off in a few months anyway.

Last edited:
Back in 2011 I was working 2 jobs, in school, and didn't have a lot of money. When it was time to do my taxes I thought i'd be getting a refund. I was wrong, I owed 600. I kept pushing it off for a long time. I was getting letters about the tax lien and then one day the IRS just took the money out of my bank account. It becomes a public record and thats how credit bureaus get it on your report.

I can't believe it was hurting my score that much. I paid it in 2012. I read over time it lessens its effect it has on your score once its paid. I was expecting a 20 pt bump. It was scheduled to come off in october (5 years).
Go to the CFPB site and click on file a complaint. I asked them to provide proof of the judgment. I guess they were too lazy to check since it was coming off in a few months anyway.

ok word so its basically a digital tool that will request proof of the judgement instead of having to send something requesting proof in the mail with a return receipt etc. and doing the work yourself? Nice

ok word so its basically a digital tool that will request proof of the judgement instead of having to send something requesting proof in the mail with a return receipt etc. and doing the work yourself? Nice

It's a government owned site. It's for more than credit reporting issues. When you submit a complaint, it will give you a bunch of options and you select whatever your issue is. They ask for a short explaination of what the exact issue is,they send it to the credit bureau, and you wait for a response.

They basically work as the middle man.

My apologies if this has been asked & answered before, but what is a good option for a starter card, and would it be better to have your first credit card from a bank or a credit union? Thanks in advance.

As a first card i suggest a no fee card, so you can keep it open even when you find a card that better suits your need.

Keep it forever as you'll keep it as your oldest trade. A card with a fee could be a hassle to keep if you dont use it anymore and just keep it for the credit history.

Back
Top Bottom