2023 MLB Thread; Say Hey, everybody: Rest In Power, Willie

Trout is hilarious.
He just runs around being great doing everything at 3/4 speed and without ever thinking about exerting extra energy, all with a smile on his face.

Dude will chase all fly ball on a rope 175ft to the wall catch it over his shoulder and then do his Trout Trot all the way back to the dugout with a damn smile[emoji]128514[/emoji] Dude cracks me up.

Last edited:
Need to see Trout in playoffs again. He has to make up for his first trip.

You mean again
laugh.gif

He already has
yeah again lol

their pitching is trash, but they've been injured so who knows 

Troy Glaus. :lol: There's a name...Trout already passing him in his infancy. Unreal.

There isn't that great though...Salmon the leader at 299. Garrett Anderson is 2nd and he wasn't close to what you'd call a power-type hitter.

Last edited:
Gotta love Strasburg throwing 118 pitches vs the Braves in May. I know the pen sucks, but the workload for the starters is ridiculous.

Gotta love Strasburg throwing 118 pitches vs the Braves in May. I know the pen sucks, but the workload for the starters is ridiculous.
Man Dave Roberts has the right idea, and what he is doing will be the norm one day.

It could be like what the 3pointer did for NBA.

MLB seems to be the most "stuck in it's ways" of all the major Sports when it comes to history, tradition and the way you play the game.

The way you evaluate talent has changed somewhat with Moneyball etc but in today's age, with all our numbers and analytics, it still blows my mind how SP's and RP's are handled.

To be more clear, Dave is one of the few if not the only Manager who refuses almost nightly to let his SP's go more than 80 pitches or passed the 5th etc.

At first, I thought he was minding injury and heavy workloads.
The more I thought about it and noticed it, I began to wonder if that was the case...if his reasoning was actually having SPs like Hill (blister) and Urias/McCarthy/Maeda who are younger and or newer to the League and trying to persevere them or, if he just flat out realized that the chances of being hit the 3rd time through the lineup go up significantly whether you're an ACE or just average SP, so he works his BP instead.

I know (sorry this turned into a lengthier post than I wanted) that every situation is different and in a few cases you'd rather have Stras or Kerhsaw with 100pc continue on than roll out some BP arm but....I think Roberts is onto something.

I'd really be interested in hearing his thoughts on why he does it, and not an interview pc Manager speak answer, the real bottom line behind close door reasoning.

Point is, if you look at a long list of numbers over a long period of time, I think they'd show that your RP is going to give you a better performance than your SP who is going on his 3rd time through the rotation.

Other point is, Dave Roberts catches a lot of heat from fans on how he pulls his SP either too early OR when they are well under 100pc and cooking and, I think it's worked out really really well, for him.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I know Nats have a weaker BP and is closer to the bottom half of the League than the top but sometimes it seems like Dusty (even though the BP is weak) is not doing him, his team of The SP any favors by leaving them in, or quote unquote overworking them.

Luckily Dave doesn't follow that procedure in the postseason for the most part and takes out our starters only when they start to be real ineffective

But yes, what he's doing in managing for the regular season is absolutely great

Last edited:
I find it hard to blame Dusty because they're paying him to win and pulling starters early is almost an automatic loss with this bullpen, but this is gonna come back to haunt them in the 2nd half.

Rizzo really ****** up this bullpen, especially by naming Treinen the closer.

I find it hard to blame Dusty because they're paying him to win and pulling starters early is almost an automatic loss with this bullpen, but this is gonna come back to haunt them in the 2nd half.

Rizzo really ****** up this bullpen, especially by naming Treinen the closer.
Yea it's quite the conundrum.
It seems like I've seen Nats BP get blown up more often than most but still, as bad as a BP is, I still think there is more value in using them than not using them in BP situations and avoid trying to extend SP pitch counts, even if the BP is bad.

I mean starters just pitch different than RP's.
RP's are going for the SO it seems when RP find great value in pitching to contact, so in theory, most RP should have better stuff or be better pitchers than the starter, and the faith should be placed in them, and if they blow it, then they blow it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom