2023 MLB Thread; Say Hey, everybody: Rest In Power, Willie

Rockies ownership is a joke. They do this everytime. They don't want to pay to win because they know fans will flock to Coors Field every summer no matter how poor the product is on the field. Covid hurt their pockets so they get rid of the only player worth watching on that squad and pay $50 million all because you don't want to put a competitive team around him. If I weren't such a diehard fan of all things Colorado I would've ditched this team along time ago.

IMG_20210201_131441.jpg

Rockies ownership is a joke. They do this everytime. They don't want to pay to win because they know fans will flock to Coors Field every summer no matter how poor the product is on the field. Covid hurt their pockets so they get rid of the only player worth watching on that squad and pay $50 million all because you don't want to put a competitive team around him. If I weren't such a diehard fan of all things Colorado I would've ditched this team along time ago.
Yep, and the sad thing is the MLB system is still the joke. How many small and mid market teams have owners like this? Far too many. And they just play the system they are given.

For how bad the contracts are for the players, The NFL is the greatest thing going for the fan because almost all teams have to pay up to win, and markets really don't matter. Patrick Mahomes plays for Kansas City, and it's contract time? Doesn't matter. Patrick Mahomes plays for the Kansas City Royals? He's out - can't afford him.

I think it might just be a Ps4/Xbox One port but I’ll take anything. I made the selwitch to xbox a few years ago to play with the homies and I’ve been missing MLB the show 🥺

Yep, and the sad thing is the MLB system is still the joke. How many small and mid market teams have owners like this? Far too many. And they just play the system they are given.

For how bad the contracts are for the players, The NFL is the greatest thing going for the fan because almost all teams have to pay up to win, and markets really don't matter. Patrick Mahomes plays for Kansas City, and it's contract time? Doesn't matter. Patrick Mahomes plays for the Kansas City Royals? He's out - can't afford him.

The thing that pisses me off is the league PURPOSELY gives "competitive balance" picks to teams in small markets. The St Louis Cardinals are one of those teams. Now they don't even have to trade top prospects for 29 year old franchise players AND they'll get one of those picks in a few months. :stoneface:

I'm starting to come around to this recent bargaining talk of trading a salary cap for a salary floor.

We're too far down the rabbit hole to probably ever even things up for markets like the NFL has, but we've just come to accept business as usual in this sport for how long now? And yes, what complicates things is front offices have such smart people that teams like the Rays and Marlins (below) still can get to the playoffs....so i guess what do I know

2020 final team payrolls:

1. Yankees - $110.8 million
2. Dodgers - $105.7 million
3. Red Sox - $84.4 million
4. Astros - $80.3 million
27. Rays - $28.7 million
28. Marlins - $28.5 million
29. Pirates - $24.7 million
30. Orioles - $23.9 million

What do the players gain by rejecting? Only 8 less games, full pay and the expanded playoffs and universal DH were great with the fans. I would've waited another month for that. Oh well.

Players want universal DH, but owners will only do it if they expand the playoffs? Is that the main gripe?
That's what it seems to be. Players don't think it's a fair trade off and it's gonna be back on the table once the CBA expires anyways

Players want universal DH, but owners will only do it if they expand the playoffs? Is that the main gripe?

seems like the players are balking at expanded playoffs + the idea that MLB can adjust the schedule/not pay for COVID postponed or canceled games

plus the fact that both sides despise each other :lol:

Back
Top Bottom