2023 MLB Thread; Say Hey, Charlie Hustle: Rest In Power, Willie. RIP, Pete.

It's too bad the Marlins had no starting pitching, sucked, and went firesale. This rookie Brian Anderson they have is putting together a fantastic season. Could've had an insane lineup with Yelich, Ozuna, Stanton, Anderson, Realmuto, Bour, and Castro.

Marlins really aren't that bad at all given the circumstances. They're a tough out. I agree...wouldve been nice to see them stay together.

These Rays throwbacks
wow.png

Pics?

DfiyjfhW4AEXorA.jpg

Dc9Nqh7UQAMnF36.jpg

Let's talk extreme shifts.
DfiyjfhW4AEXorA.jpg
Obviously we see these every game on all sorts of batters. But I am still learning all this in MLB and maybe shifts of the extreme type are only being done to a few bad hitters.

Above was the shift last night for Joey Gallo (six dudes in outfield), followed by another worse one on him in a different game . I know we been over this tons of times (and Gallo ain't exactly the best hitter example here) but can someone more versed than me explain how professional hitters cannot simply check swing one pitch to the left side in this situation? Or lay down a basic bunt that by now you would have think Gallo would be practicing 8 hours a day?

Is this all because teams have agreed to not bunt and if you do you're gonna get nailed? Are we really saying that talk is happening?

It's funny to me....because teams are spending all this time studying analytics to incorporate extreme shifts on batters, yet on the flipside on the offensive side most seem to be incorporating....nothing.

They don't know how to bunt is what I keep hearing. Especially guys like Gallo. They don't bother teaching it to power hitters and the players don't bother to practice it. I think that's a problem -- moreso an annoyance. I'd bunt all day in that situation and not give a crap about it.

It's much easier to make contact with a bunt than a check swing in my opinion.

Gallo has been a power hitter his entire life, the last time he probably even attempted a bunt was learning how in LL.

I remember when Mark Teixeira was with the Yankees he said he never bunted to beat the shift cause that's what they want you to do. The defense wants to take the bat out of the hands of a middle of the order power hitter.

Back
Top Bottom