Should @Hahahaha be allowed byke?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

47156810.jpg

Best overall cover corner
i

Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals

I thought Peterson's film dipped a bit last season. But this year? He pops on tape. Playing on a sub-par team, Peterson is once again at the top. He's a complete cover man, too. That means he can win by playing multiple techniques. You want to see Peterson challenge receivers at the line of scrimmage? No problem. Play off-man, weave and then close with speed? Sure. Or, watch his eyes, his transition ability and the skill set to strike as a zone defender. It's all there.

Peterson has a loaded toolbox, which would allow him to play in any system. Man, Cover 3, Quarters, Tampa 2. Just give him a helmet and watch him work. And while Peterson doesn't have the stats that jump off the page -- two interceptions, five passes defended this season -- the tape doesn't lie. Peterson, in his eighth year in the league and already with three first-team All-Pro appearances, is the best corner I've studied in 2018.

Honorable mention: Stephon Gilmore, New England Patriots

Best monsterback
i
Jamal Adams, New York Jets

Adams has elevated his production under new Jets safeties coach Steve Jackson this season, and he's playing multiple roles as a monsterback in the Jets' system. Adams has posted 90 total tackles, three forced fumbles, three sacks, one interception and 12 passes defended. I see some star potential with the former No. 6 overall pick.

Playing that hybrid role, Adams has disrupted 14.5 dropbacks. That's a big number for a defensive back. And just take a look at the snap counts here heading into Week 16 to get an idea of how Adams is generating an impact from multiple spots on the field:

• Safety: 383

• Outside linebacker: 321

• Slot: 102

• Cornerback: 65

• Inside linebacker: 38
The film? Adams has some Troy Polamalu to his game. Just watch No. 33 blitz and take down Deshaun Watson in the animation from NFL Next Gen Stats below. Yeah, that's a lofty comparison, but I look at the body control, the physicality to strike ball carriers and the ability to create chaos at the second or third level of the defense. He's a unique talent who plays with high energy.

adams-sack.gif

Derwin James, Los Angeles Chargers

Best secondary

i

Chicago Bears

The Bears lead the NFL with 26 interceptions, rank second in passing yards per attempt (5.85), and are one of the best third-down defenses in the league, holding opposing offenses to a conversion rate of just 34.5 percent.

This secondary is loaded with playmakers, and defensive coordinator Vic Fangio has done an excellent job game planning from two-high-safety looks. That allows the Bears to play Quarters, Cover 6, match underneath or drop a safety down as a robber in man-to-man coverage. And with the occasional nickel blitz, the Bears can dial up some pressure with these defensive backs, too.

Eddie Jackson, and the high-end production from cornerback Kyle Fuller. Plus, with Adrian Amos at strong safety to pair with the veteran toughness of cornerback Prince Amukamara, this is a complete unit. Yes, the Week 14 injury to nickelback Bryce Callahan has to be discussed here, because he was an ideal fit for the scheme. But I'm going to bet that Fangio finds an answer in the slot for the stretch run to the postseason.

I love the physicality of the Ravens' secondary, too. And don't sleep on the Bills, either. But the ability of this unit in Chicago to break on the ball, tackle in the run game and limit explosive plays make them my top secondary this year.

Baltimore Ravens, Buffalo Bills

Biggest hitter
i

D.J. Swearinger, Washington ********

Play top down, and drop the hammer. That's Swearinger. The ******** safety is a downhill thumper at the point of attack who can cut down wide receivers or lower the boom on ball carriers. And we all saw that hit on Marshawn Lynch back in 2017. Nasty stuff.

Swearinger also could be in the discussion for multiple spots on this list given his improvement this season, whether it's his range, ability to close on routes, or the on-the-ball production that shows up on tape. Swearinger has racked up four interceptions, three forced fumbles and 10 passes defensed this season.

Honorable mention: Damontae Kazee, Atlanta Falcons

Defensive back I'd most love to coach
i

Kevin Byard, Tennessee Titans

Byard was playing in the Matrix last season, as he finished with a league-high eight picks. But while that interception count has dropped to three in 2018, I still see Byard as one of the most complete players at the position.

We know the ball skills are there, but it goes deeper. Byard is a smart player who can also blitz, play with depth over the top to patrol the middle of the field, and can line up in man-coverage. Byard has a versatile skill set, and his ceiling is extremely high. That's what you look for from a coaching perspective. Give me the ascending, physical safety who has even more room to improve.

Minkah Fitzpatrick, Miami Dolphins

Best range
i

Damarious Randall, Cleveland Browns

This spot is usually occupied by Seahawks safety Earl Thomas, but with the veteran going down early in the season, I'm looking at Randall in Gregg Williams' defense. The former Packers cornerback was traded to Cleveland in the offseason, and I see a better fit here for Randall playing safety. That's where he can show the eye discipline and range to play in the post.

Derek Carr. See it -- and go. Randall has four picks and nine passes defended this season.

Cleveland Browns

✔@Browns

OKAY, DAMARIOUS.

That’s our second interception of the game!#CLEvsOAK

2:01 PM - Sep 30, 2018

205 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Honorable mention: Micah Hyde, Buffalo Bills

Best ball hawk at safety
i
Eddie Jackson, Chicago Bears

Jackson has six picks this season, and has taken two back to the house. Just check out the pick-six against Matthew Stafford and the Lions on Thanksgiving in the animation from NFL Next Gen Stats below. That's a great example of a safety identifying the formation, personnel and release of the tight end. Go make the play.

With the range to get over the top of the numbers, and the extreme confidence level to jump routes, Jackson plays like a veteran. And he doesn't find the ball by accident. The second-year pro is a true playmaker who will take risks. When those pay off, it's a beautiful thing to watch.

jackson-int.gif

Honorable mention: John Johnson, Los Angeles Rams

Best ball hawk at cornerback
i

Xavien Howard, Miami Dolphins

Tied for the league lead with seven interceptions, in addition to 12 passes defended, Howard brings to the field a high-level combination of coverage skills, range and finishing ability. You can line up Howard in press coverage to stick on the hip of a wide receiver, or put him off the ball -- in zone or man -- to drive on the throw.

While we don't talk about range enough for corners, Howard can open his hips to track the ball. Just go back to his interceptions against Andrew Luck and the Colts this season -- check out the animation from NFL Next Gen Stats below. Read the quarterback and the route stem from tight end Eric Ebron out of a 3x1 formation. Howard makes up some ground here to steal this one.

howard-int.gif

Honorable mention: Jalen Ramsey, Jacksonville Jaguars

Best rookie cornerback
i

Jaire Alexander, Green Bay Packers

Browns corner Denzel Ward could be the pick here, but I'm going to roll with Alexander. The Louisville product has logged only one interception, but with 11 passes defended there's no question that he is around the ball. And I love how he competes. Give me the young guy who challenges routes and fights for the ball at the point of attack. You can win with that.

Want a tape to watch on Alexander? Go check out the Week 8 matchup against the Rams, when he racked up five passes defended. His ability to impact both the release and the catch point jumped off the screen. He battled. Like every rookie cornerback out on the island, Alexander has been taught some lessons at times by veteran wide receivers. But those are teaching moments. And Alexander has the skill set to develop into a No. 1 corner.

Honorable mention: Denzel Ward, Cleveland Browns

Most versatile
i

Devin McCourty, New England Patriots

McCourty is the most underappreciated defensive back in the NFL. Just look at the Patriots' defensive schemes with a focus on McCourty's matchup ability. He can cover down in the slot, match to a running back or bump out wide to play corner.

Tyrann Mathieu, Houston Texans

Best cornerback in press-man coverage
i

Byron Jones, Dallas Cowboys

Back at his natural position after three years playing safety, Jones has displayed the upper-tier traits of a press corner with his length and physically at the line of scrimmage. Plus, with the matchup ability to move inside against a tight end -- as Jones did in Week 14 versus Philadelphia's Zach Ertz -- the fourth-year pro is using that 6-foot-1, 200-pound frame to intimidate on the release.

Want to watch Jones in action? Check out the Thursday night game against the Saints in Week 13 when Jones matched up with Saints wide receiver Michael Thomas. It was aggressive man-to-man coverage that started at the line of scrimmage.

Honorable mention: Chris Harris Jr., Denver Broncos

Best cornerback in off coverage
i

Kyle Fuller, Chicago Bears

Fuller, who is tied with Howard with seven interceptions, combines his footwork, pedal and eyes to break on the ball and finish. And that tape is clean, too. Just watch him pedal with his shoulder square, read inside to the quarterback and then get a jump on the throw.

We can go back to Week 13 when Fuller broke in front of Odell Beckham Jr. to pick off the slant, or the matchup against the Rams in Week 14. Pedal, anticipate and go steal one from quarterback Jared Goff -- check out the animation from NFL Next Gen Stats below.

With a ridiculous 21 passes defended this season, Fuller is playing the best football of his young career.

Chicago Bears

✔@ChicagoBears

Kyle Fuller with his SIXTH interception of the season!#ProBowlVote this man with an RT!#CHIvsNYG | #DaBears

10:46 AM - Dec 2, 2018

1,313 people are talking about this

Honorable mention: Richard Sherman, San Francisco 49ers

Best slot cornerback in man-to-man coverage
i

Chris Harris Jr., Denver Broncos

I started writing the Shutdown Index back in 2016, and I have Harris here for the third straight year. And it's clinical stuff from the Broncos veteran. The footwork is so smooth, and the change-of-direction ability allows him to mirror releases off the ball.

Plus, with the physical traits to battle in the run game, Harris is one of the most complete and versatile cornerbacks in the league. Harris played 350 snaps in the slot, in addition to 257 snaps outside the numbers, before breaking his leg in Week 13.

Playing inside the numbers is no joke. There's so much space to cover with no protection from the boundary. In the slot, defenders have to play both an inside and outside release, adjust to pre-snap motion, and show the ability to match up to wide receivers with the lateral quicks of a Julian Edelman or the frame and athleticism of a Julio Jones. Harris gives the Broncos that with the man-technique to win.

Honorable mention: Nickell Robey-Coleman, Los Angeles Rams

Best rookie safety
i

Derwin James, Los Angeles Chargers

The Florida State product is a super disruptive safety -- 14.5 disrupted dropbacks this season -- who can do it all. James has racked up 93 total tackles, 3.5 sacks, three interceptions and 12 passes defended so far. Drawing comps to the late Sean Taylor, he has created an instant impact and should be the leading candidate for Defensive Rookie of the Year.

At 6-foot-2, 215 pounds, James has displayed his freakish athleticism, speed and power in the Chargers' system. And that combination of traits has been utilized by coordinator Gus Bradley, with James playing 267 snaps at safety, 345 at outside linebacker, 128 in the slot and 26 at inside linebacker. He's an ultra-rare talent who creates havoc on offenses. Remember: James is a rookie. He's going to keep getting better. That's trouble for the rest of the league.

Honorable mention: Justin Reid, Houston Texans

Best run defender at safety
i
Harrison Smith, Minnesota Vikings

Malcolm Jenkins, Philadelphia Eagles

Best closing speed
i
Adoree' Jackson, Tennessee Titans

It's the quick-twitch burst with Jackson, and the ability to showcase his transition speed. That allows him to flip his hips and drive on the rock, or squeeze an inside break. Click and close with that 4.42 40 speed.

The acceleration to the ball shows up down the field when Jackson has to recover. Go back to his interception against the Texans early in the season. Houston wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins created separation, but Jackson ate up space and got back on Hopkins' hip to make the play.

Tennessee Titans

✔@Titans

My. Man. Catch. No. Balls. #MMCNB@AdoreeKnows with his first @NFL INT. #TitanUp

9:47 AM - Sep 16, 2018

532 people are talking about this

Honorable mention: Trae Waynes, Minnesota Vikings

Best slot cornerback in zone coverage
i

Desmond King, Los Angeles Chargers

King is an ideal fit as the slot defender in Gus Bradley's defensive system. The former Hawkeye can play man-to-man coverage but also drop as the curl defender in zone. And that's where King will utilize his natural instincts and playmaking ability to find the ball. That showed up on the pick-six against Russell Wilson and the Seahawks this season (check out the animation from NFL Next Gen Stats below). Buzz outside as an underneath defender, bait the quarterback, and then undercut the ball to make a house call.

King can match routes at the second level, but his physicality and blitzing talent also pop. He has some juice in his pads, and has posted 51 total tackles this season in addition to three interceptions and 10 passes defended.

king-int.gif

Honorable mention: Bryce Callahan, Chicago Bears

Best footwork
i
Marshon Lattimore, New Orleans Saints

This goes all the way back to Lattimore's Ohio State tape. With the combination of legit top-end speed and lateral quickness, Lattimore can challenge in press/off-man and redirect to mirror or weave with the release.

That also shows up at the top of the route. That's where Lattimore can stick to wide receivers to limit the separation space. While his interception total has dipped a bit after his breakout rookie season, don't let that number discount the technique and footwork that flashes on the tape. He's a big-time corner.

Honorable mention: Marlon Humphrey, Baltimore Ravens

Best run defender at cornerback
i
Kareem Jackson, Houston Texans

With the versatility to line up at safety in Romeo Crennel's defense -- 159 snaps there this season -- Jackson's tackling ability is on point. Hey, you can't put run-game liabilities in at safety.

Tre Flowers, Seattle Seahawks

The Next Generation
Here are three top 2019 prospects to keep an eye on throughout the NFL draft process:

i
Greedy Williams, CB, LSU

With a 6-foot-3 frame, Williams has the length and press-man ability that translates to the pro game. The third-year sophomore is a first-round talent with the ball skills and technique to make an immediate impact as a rookie.

i
Deionte Thompson, S, Alabama

At 6-foot-2, 196 pounds, Thompson has natural range in the post. That allows him to track the ball and finish on plays. He can be a playmaker at the next level for a single-high safety system.

i
Deandre Baker, CB, Georgia

Baker isn't a blazer, but his on-the-ball production, coverage talent and physicality pops on film. At 5-foot-11, 185 pounds, Baker is going to show up in the run game. And the traits are there for him to develop quickly in the right pro system.

Cam Newton to sit out Panthers' final two games with shoulder injury
play
Panthers coach Ron Rivera explains the decision to shut down QB Cam Newton for the rest of the season. (0:33)

1:11 PM PT
  • i

David NewtonESPN Staff Writer
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton will not play Sunday against Atlanta and is expected to be shut down for the final two games as he continues to deal with a sore throwing shoulder, a league source confirmed to ESPN.

Panthers general manager Marty Hurney confirmed Wednesday that Newton will be inactive for Sunday's game against the Falcons. Backup Taylor Heinickewill start and will be backed up by Kyle Allen.

Panthers coach Ron Rivera left open the possibility that Newton could play in the season finale at New Orleans if the playoffs are a possibility.

"He'll be on the 53-man all the way through," Rivera said. "Crazy enough things can happen and we'll see from there."

12-9 loss to New Orleans, which left the Panthers (6-8) with less than a 1 percent chance of making the playoffs.

Newton completed 16 of 29 pass attempts with no touchdowns and one interception for a season-low 52.5 passer rating against the Saints.

Afterward, Newton expressed frustration over constant stiffness and soreness in his shoulder. He said nothing he has tried, from acupuncture to massage, has worked.

"You can't rub magic dust on it, go to this or that person, have the placebo things done where you think certain things are what they are -- and you come out and you're still the same,'' Newton said at the time. "Over the past couple of weeks, nothing has really changed.''

Three weeks ago, before a loss at Tampa Bay, Newton said he was playing the best football of his career. He proceeded to throw four interceptions against the Buccaneers.

During Carolina's six-game losing streak, Newton has thrown at least one interception in every game.

Despite the soreness in his shoulder, Newton has completed a career-best 67.9 percent of his passes under new offensive coordinator Norv Turner. Newton came into the season with a career completion percentage of 58.5 in seven seasons.

Arm strength has been an issue, though. Newton has completed only nine passes of at least 20 yards this season. That ranks 29th in the league, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

While the league source left open the possibility that Newton could play in the finale against New Orleans, it does not appear likely that will happen. If so, it will be just the second season in which Newton has missed multiple games. He missed two games in 2014 when he was coming off offseason foot surgery.

Heinicke will be making his first NFL start. He has five career pass attempts, including four for the Panthers this season. Three came at the end of either a first half or a game, when the Panthers attempted a Hail Mary.

The news that Newton likely would be shut down for the rest of the season was first reported by NFL Network.

Does that have the WORST secondary listed? That would easily be the Chiefs group of knuckleheads.

Mad respect to Pat Pete. Dude is on a trash can team and still the best in the business. Would have loved to see him in a Chiefs uniform for the stretch run.

Does that have the WORST secondary listed? That would easily be the Chiefs group of knuckleheads.

Mad respect to Pat Pete. Dude is on a trash can team and still the best in the business. Would have loved to see him in a Chiefs uniform for the stretch run.

Trufant Alford & Poole beg to differ

Dexter Manley
Charles Mann
Scott Studwell
Lynn Swann
Champ Bailey
Takeo Spikes might be my favorite

Richie Incognito is great, just the player is a POS.
I always liked Alex Mack because of the Nick show. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom