2016 MLB thread. THE CUBS HAVE BROKEN THE CURSE! Chicago Cubs are your 2016 World Series champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mets byke!
Wait...

I thought we were supposed to blow the team up?

No I'm just confused
laugh.gif
Ah man he was just tilting, let him live G
laugh.gif

I am 100% taking Valencia's side in this fight, assuming what has been reported is accurate.  Dude snitching to the company he gets paid from?  That is a b**** move.  Handle business internally if you have issues.  Snitching and costing your teammate money is not cool.

i know Sheffield had a reebok deal back in the early 90's. but he liked the Nikes he had better. so he painted the nikes all black and put the reebok logo on it.

If you missed the – pardon my French – media ****-storm surrounding the Arizona Diamondbacks’ front office, you have some fun, but terrifying reading ahead of you. In an article at ESPN, Keith Law paints a detailed picture, chronicling many of the recent, extraordinarily incompetent questionable and uninformed decisions of the D-backs front office, with specific focus on GM Dave Stewart and Chief Baseball Officer Tony La Russa. Over the past few years, Law maintains, the D-backs have made some pretty big mistakes, and not just differences-in-baseball-opinion-type stuff. Instead, it’s like, really serious didn’t-understand-the-rules-type stuff.

For one example, Law recalls the acquisition of Cuban right-hander Yoan Lopez. On the surface, you can question the D-backs decision to target him at all (he’s underperformed and has reportedly had problems with coaches and players in the organization), but that’s just half of it. Arizona extended Lopez an $8 million bonus to sign him after the 2013 season, despite the fact that the market had reportedly valued him much lower (Law says it was about 1/10th that price). But, okay, some team’s really want their man, right? Well, not so much. According to Law, the Diamondbacks were unaware that, per the IFA rules, they would have to pay an $8 million penalty on Lopez’s bonus and that they would be prohibited from signing any July 2 free agents in the next two signing periods, as well. In other words, they had no understanding of the IFA bonus pool rules and were surprised to learn of the penalties. I’m just not quite sure how the two most widely discussed caveats/penalties to IFA can slip by an entire organization. But it happened, says Law, and it happened at the highest level. The Diamondbacks also reportedly made mistakes in the draft (failing to use their entire allotment of signing bonuses in 2015 – leaving $1.7 million on the table), have displayed very poor player judgement (DFA-ing reliever Will Harris to an immediate rush of claims), and have even doubled down on the highly-scrutinized (and since worsened by Shelby Miller’s descent and Dansby Swanson’s debut) Shelby Miller Trade.

What the hell?

I wonder when people are going to start understanding that not every pitch is created equal when talking about stress on an arm?  It amazes me that in today's day and age of scientific research and analysis that people still put so much emphasis on pitch count.

I could care less about pitch count. I said Dusty was gonna burn the kid. Here we are. Really that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom