2016 MLB thread. THE CUBS HAVE BROKEN THE CURSE! Chicago Cubs are your 2016 World Series champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
a loss-of-value claim has never been successfully collected from an insurance company by an NFL prospect. If you think those insurqance policies are as simple as you get hurt I give you 50 mill your fooling yourself.

Issurance companies got an army of lawyers to ensure they pay little or never have to pay at all.

also given that he's coming off tommy john I don't think the amount he can realistically insure himself for is all that high.

Fair enough :lol:

My biggest dispute is any innings limit is just so arbitrary.

Sure they're medical professionals, but how can they honestly cap innings? It's not an exact science.

180 innings is erroring on the side of caution which only logically makes sense because 200 innings is arbitrary seen as a lot of innings :lol:

These doctors don't have any more concrete than your average human. I generally side with professionals and their opinions, but I'm just not sold on innings limits.

Rosenthal quoted three rival GMs as saying Andrews does not set limits just watch and go case by case. 180 is Boras blowing smoke.

so if Dr James Andrews said the following and he did Harvey's surgery....

There's no guarantee stopping at 180 means he'll never get hurt. He can get hurt throwing a damn bullpen session tomorrow.

The Mets GM is saying that 180 James Andres was not categorical, cmon b I'm going to trust his evaluation of the situation over Harvey's?... :lol:

who do you think is most likely looking out for Harvey's long term best interests Harvey+Boras or the Mets?

Last edited:
Has another player ever attempted to shut themselves down like this? :lol:

And in regards to innings limits, if you're going to have a limit of 180, why not limit yourself to 150 in the regular season so you can pitch in the playoffs?

Start later in the season than opening day. If you don't hit your max innings, lucky you, you saved some bullets in the arm.

Doesnt Harvey complain about getting taken out early and the Mets protecting him with 6 man rotations?

If you want to beat the Dodgers in the LDS, you best suit up lol.

But OOOOOO agent and money priorities!

Last edited:
Doesnt Harvey complain about getting taken out early and the Mets protecting him with 6 man rotations?

If you want to beat the Dodgers in the LDS, you best suit up lol.

But OOOOOO agent and money priorities!
He complained all year long about going 6 man and having his innings limited, having starts skipped, now all of a sudden he's upset he's gonna pitch too many? They did everything to limit your innings and you complained about it.

Has another player ever attempted to shut themselves down like this? :lol:

And in regards to innings limits, if you're going to have a limit of 180, why not limit yourself to 150 in the regular season so you can pitch in the playoffs?

Start later in the season than opening day. If you don't hit your max innings, lucky you, you saved some bullets in the arm.

I don't think it matters what other players have done in the past, management has been abusing players forever.

Obviously the way this was handled was poor but ultimately my point its so easy to rain down criticism when it's not our money or career.

who do you think is most likely looking out for Harvey's long term best interests Harvey+Boras or the Mets?
You think Boras cares about Matt Harvey? Boras cares about maximizing his money. He opt'd ARod out of a contract against ARod's will. He doesn't let his players sign extensions because he wants them to hit the open market and maximize the commission he can get. Boras doesn't care about anyone but his money. Acting like Boras isn't the biggest snake in sports. All he cares about is money, not if so and so is happy or healthy.

You think Boras cares about Matt Harvey? Boras cares about maximizing his money. He opt'd ARod out of a contract against ARod's will. He doesn't let his players sign extensions because he wants them to hit the open market and maximize the commission he can get. Boras doesn't care about anyone but his money. Acting like Boras isn't the biggest snake in sports. All he cares about is money, not if so and so is happy or healthy.

wut.

Boars self interest and Matt Harvey's self interest are aligned.

Thats how captalism works, thats how agent, client relationship works. Boras aint anymore of a snake than the Mets or any other capitlaist enterprise.

Boras doesn't care about Matt Harvey the person, he cares about the money Matt Harvey can make him.

and how much money Matt Harvey makes is clearly very important to Matt Harvery the person. (AS IT WOULD BE TO ALL OF US)

It hasn't corssed your mind that those two things are connected?

I'm not saying this doesn't suck for the mets, or met fans, it sucks, but just becuase it sucks for you doens't mean Harvey is wrong or a bad human. :lol:

He is wrong because if this was such a concern why is it only now being articulated at inning 166? Boras is a leech who cares about making the most he can off his clients. It's why he opt'd A-Rod out and it's why A-Rod fired him. There is 0 guarantee Harvey stopping at 180 means he isn't likely to get hurt. He can get hurt tomorrow. He can get hit by a bus. Tons of stuff can happen. If Harvey is physically afflicted and needs to be shut down because of an MRI that exposes damage, that's fine, but shutting him down in the middle of a pennant race because his agent wants him to be healthy 3 years from now (when there is zero guarantee he doesn't get hurt in his first start in any of the subsequent seasons) is selfish and inappropriate for a team that has done everything to accommodate him while attempting to win a World Series. If he cared about his clients and their well-being, he wouldn't encourage them to avoid signing extensions and testing the open market so they can potentially get more money (even though they could also potentially get hurt during that contract year and miss out on what could've been made during that extension).

If Boras cared about his clients personally, then why did he make these demands when A-Rod allegedly wanted to be a Met in 2000?

"But then Boras began asking for things that had nothing to do with A-Rod's alleged childhood fantasy of playing for the Mets. The list included a Shea Stadium office, a marketing staff, a merchandise tent at spring training, a luxury box, use of a private jet, and more billboards than Jeter could count."

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/columns/story?columnist=oconnor_ian&id=6567799

Why didn't he just ask for the copious amounts of money A-Rod was worth? Why did he need all of the lavish nonsense that no player in the history of sports has ever deserved?

You think agents care about the personal well-being of any players? If that was the case why did Jay-Z send Cano to Seattle? Oh that's right, because they offered him the most amount of money, even though Cano didn't want to be away from his family and the city he grew to love.

It's all about money with these people, not what's in the best emotional interest for the players.

Last edited:
This is from Ken Rosenthal, convo he had with Boras. Basically, Harvey is done for the year.

Just got off the phone with Scott Boras, who had several points he wanted to make on the Matt Harvey issue:
*Boras said he spoke today with Harvey’s surgeon, Dr. James Andrews, and that he plans to meet with Andrews this week.
“Matt Harvey wants to pitch,” Boras said. “We’re trying to work out a plan that the doctor approves of.”
*Boras said he thought the Mets were going to handle Harvey the way the Nationals handled Stephen Strasburg in 2012, and that he met with the Mets to discuss the subject before the season started.
“Where are you at on an innings limit for Matt Harvey?” Boras recalled asking the Mets. “This is Strasburg.”
According to Boras, Mets general manager Sandy Alderson replied, “Not all are alike.” But the two sides agreed that there should be an innings limit for Harvey.
“I was like, ‘OK, that’s as far as I could take it. I can’t give them a specific number. But I brought up Strasburg. I brought up innings limits. And they agreed,” Boras said.
Boras said the issue only became a potential problem when the Mets’ chances of reaching the postseason improved significantly in August, and that is when he reached out to Alderson again.
“My assumption was that they were doing the Strasburg approach,” Boras said. “Keep pitching him on his normal day. Let him throw his innings. If he gets there and he’s healthy, great. But you may have to shut him down before the end of the season.
“My assumption was that is where we were headed. When the playoffs came up, I called in August and said, ‘The playoffs are coming. Where are we on this?’”
*Boras said he did a study of pitchers who had never thrown 200 innings in a season and then had Tommy John surgery and then ramped up to approximately the 200-inning level in their second full season after returning.
The four pitchers that Boras cited were Shaun Marcum, Josh Johnson, Jarrod Parker and Kris Medlen. All experienced complications, Boras said. All but Marcum had a second Tommy John.
In contrast, Boras said, the Nationals’ Stephen Strasburg and Jordan Zimmermann built their innings in a steadier progression, reaching 200 innings only in their fourth full season after Tommy John.
That study is why Boras believes it is reasonable to follow Andrews’ recommendation of a 180-inning limit for Harvey. Harvey did not throw a single pitch last season and established his career high of 178 1/3 innings in 2013.
“This is the thing the doctors are most scared about,” Boras said. “Matt Harvey threw zero innings in 2014. He will be the only player in history ever to go from 0 to 200 innings.
“If you exceed your (career-high innings total) and you do it in your second season after Tommy John . . . all of those guys had complications. All of those guys had problems.”

Shut him down and trade him the offseason for prospects.

He is wrong because if this was such a concern why is it only now being articulated at inning 166?

irrelevant. Just because it was handled poorly doesn't mean Harvey is wrong for what he's doing.

Boras is a leech who cares about making the most he can off his clients. It's why he opt'd A-Rod out and it's why A-Rod fired him.

Harvey hired him fully aware of his reputation so clearly he and Boras intrests are aligned. Boras is doing right by his client, it just happens to be messing up YOUR good time. :lol:

There is 0 guarantee Harvey stopping at 180 means he isn't likely to get hurt. He can get hurt tomorrow. He can get hit by a bus. Tons of stuff can happen. If Harvey is physically afflicted and needs to be shut down because of an MRI that exposes damage, that's fine, but shutting him down in the middle of a pennant race because his agent wants him to be healthy 3 years from now (when there is zero guarantee he doesn't get hurt in his first start in any of the subsequent seasons) is selfish and inappropriate for a team that has done everything to accommodate him while attempting to win a World Series.

Really? let me quickly divest myself all insurance, long term investments, throw away all sneakers, becuase whats the point I tomorrow I could get hit by a bus. :lol:

Try and see through your mets bias man. All that matters ultimately is how Harvey feels, he's spoken to the doctors, he has the information he;'s had to do the rehab he's the only one who's in his body and it's his decision. The mets you or anyone else can't make it for him.

If he cared about his clients and their well-being, he wouldn't encourage them to avoid signing extensions and testing the open market so they can potentially get more money (even though they could also potentially get hurt during that contract year and miss out on what could've been made during that extension).

AGAIN, Harvey KNEW this when he hired him, Boras didn't misrepresent himself. He's doing RIGHT by his client. Disagree with his strategy if you want, but you don't matter, onyl Harvey's opinion does.

Whatever, the guy has a chance to help his team win a World Series and he's willing to end his season so he can potentially make millions in 3 years from now. There's nothing around that. He's valuing money over doing his job and helping his teammates. If this is who he is, he needs to be traded because he doesn't belong in NY.

You keep on and on with this agents caring about you peronsal. Like that's some virtue.

your agent aint your daddy. :smh:

you hire him to max out your career earnings not to risk my career so Mets will be happy. This is business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom