2015 NY Knicks offseason thread, Los Almighty appreciation thread

Only in NY you can have an elite scorer on the team that people want traded and complain about two guys that were bums in NY doing decently with the best player in the world. You guys will never be satisfied with anything. How about we wait and see what team can be built before we complain about everything. You're not attracting free agents without Melo and you're not trading him to be terrible for another year when we don't even own a draft pick. Melo and Muddy/Winslow/Okafor is a great foundation. We're gonna sit here and act like you can't build a good team because a guy is 30. Cool.

The thing that no one understands is that this year we developed toughness within our role players. The guys have shown us that they have grit, fight and heart. The fellas will show up night in and night out no matter the circumstance. That is saying alot all things considered.

Half of y'all called Shump trash and said Earl was an idiot and they both needed to be gone. Now it's a problem they're gone and we shouldn't have gotten rid of them?

**** this thread

everything RitchDad's been saying the past couple days is on point

I 2nd that notion.
Complete 180 from his Greg Monroe slander :lol:

I just don't get how you can sit here and think we're better off without the best player this franchise has had since Ewing all because he's 30. Not 35, not 40 but 30. All of a sudden 30 year olds are past their prime and incapable of winning. **** is getting ridiculous from you guys. You have a chance to do what the Cavs could've done with Wiggins by having Melo pass the torch to the young buck when his contract expires but you guys want to forego everything to trade a guy still in his prime and act like that's gonna make us better. Have fun getting free agents to come join the **** roster we have. With Melo and our pick we have two talented players with a bright future. Lure a quality free agent or two and some solid role players and we have a 50 win team again.

Before the trade we won 5 games, after the trade we won 12. But hey that trade was a mistake, it's probsbly the reason we didn't tank well enough for the first pick.

Last edited:
Before the trade we won 5 games, after the trade we won 12. But hey that trade was a mistake, it's probsbly the reason we didn't tank well enough for the first pick.
laugh.gif
 man i stopped watching in november.  but i coulda sworn i read on here a day or two ago that shipping away jr and shump to was to help the tank.  now your telling me it hurt the tank lol

everything RitchDad's been saying the past couple days is on point
I 2nd that notion.
Complete 180 from his Greg Monroe slander
laugh.gif

I just don't get how you can sit here and think we're better off without the best player this franchise has had since Ewing all because he's 30. Not 35, not 40 but 30. All of a sudden 30 year olds are past their prime and incapable of winning. **** is getting ridiculous from you guys. You have a chance to do what the Cavs could've done with Wiggins by having Melo pass the torch to the young buck when his contract expires but you guys want to forego everything to trade a guy still in his prime and act like that's gonna make us better. Have fun getting free agents to come join the **** roster we have. With Melo and our pick we have two talented players with a bright future. Lure a quality free agent or two and some solid role players and we have a 50 win team again.
According to guys in here, JR & Shump would've attracted them 
roll.gif
. A lot of ppl are gassed from nothing. Those 2 guys are putting up the same numbers they did on this team. The only difference is that they're hiding behind the much deeper roster & LBJ. It's sorta like the Mike Brown affect.

We should've gotten more from the trades....but I will never regret letting go of Shump and JR.

We gave Shump literally every possible chance to shine and he couldn't crack 5ppg or resist from silly gambling on defense, racking up 3 fouls every first quarters.

And we all know JR is an extremely talented basket case. He plays when he wants to and on average will hurt a team more than help them.

They just weren't a good fit for the New York Knicks and I don't see any scenario, where they would've been in the future.

LeBron is a once in history type player, with his leadership and passing abilities, can't hold that against Melo or our franchise.

Those dudes are now able to just stand around, spot up and knock down open jumpers off of beautiful passes from Bron...and that's good for them.

But I'm still glad they're gone.

I always said I would've liked a first rounder but their departure made me happy regardless. We hit our ceiling with them and we needed to move on to get to the next level.

I don't think we have to trade Melo, I'm okay with passing a torch because I don't think the return haul on Melo right now is all that great to move him. I'm not dealing for the sake of dealing him.

But if this team makes short sighted moves this summer to appease his career timeline- dealing the pick, or taking a more 'ready' college player, just to win 45 games - I'll have issues.

You can't try to patch things together. Being 30 is not the problem. Being 30 in the same conference as one of the best players ever is. Best thing Philly has done is decide to punt in the LeBron-era East. Knicks should be building towards 2018, 2019, 2020 etc. They get a chance to do that now and I hope they see that through at this point. Because if it's the other way - trying to rebound quickly - they gave away valuable rotation pieces that could have helped for nothing.

The only difference is that they're hiding behind the much deeper roster

Really? There is no hiding, aside from Tristan right now, they're the Cavs 3rd and 4th best and most important players.

Last edited:
Agreed. I really wanna see what moves are made and I honestly don't want to splurge completely without at least taking a shot at some of this 2016 class. I doubt the pick gets traded, that would be foolish.

Only in NY you can have an elite scorer on the team that people want traded and complain about two guys that were bums in NY doing decently with the best player in the world. You guys will never be satisfied with anything. How about we wait and see what team can be built before we complain about everything. You're not attracting free agents without Melo and you're not trading him to be terrible for another year when we don't even own a draft pick. Melo and Muddy/Winslow/Okafor is a great foundation. We're gonna sit here and act like you can't build a good team because a guy is 30. Cool.
For starters JRS, don't you come in here with that sensibility. Coming in here making all kinds of sense. For real though, we are basically doing what we should've have been doing, get a cornerstone for a franchise (Melo), get some decent pieces to put around him, and look ahead to the future. What is wrong with that. I do not feel bad whatsoever getting JR and Shump out of here, in the words of Dennis Green, "they are who we thought they were". And we might not get the "top tier" free agents, fine, but I'm sure we can get some workable pieces. Not every starter we have going into next season has to be top tier, to me as long as they compliment each other and aren't injury prone, and maybe play defense we will still competitive.

Last edited:
We should've gotten more from the trades....but I will never regret letting go of Shump and JR.

We gave Shump literally every possible chance to shine and he couldn't crack 5ppg or resist from silly gambling on defense, racking up 3 fouls every first quarters.

And we all know JR is an extremely talented basket case. He plays when he wants to and on average will hurt a team more than help them.

They just weren't a good fit for the New York Knicks and I don't see any scenario, where they would've been in the future.

LeBron is a once in history type player, with his leadership and passing abilities, can't hold that against Melo or our franchise.

Those dudes are now able to just stand around, spot up and knock down open jumpers off of beautiful passes from Bron...and that's good for them.

But I'm still glad they're gone.

Feel the same way, and tbh I'm not even sure how we should've got more from the trades when both were so terrible. JR's contract was unmovable and Shump was injured for like a month when we traded him. Role players can be useful on good teams, but the Knicks weren't one. I think I saw if you compare our records without Melo, the Knicks with JR + Shump was actually worse than our record w/o them. We moved an injured, underperforming role-player we weren't re-signing to clear about 7m in cap space for this summer. I'm surprised Shump even had any value at the deadline. Is it really that hard to find a guy who can average 8 and 3 in 26 minutes playing average defense and getting injured every year? No regrets there.

We should just feel lucky that we got a top 5 pick out of this season. Had we stayed around .500 and finished 8th with JR and Shump still on the roster we'd have even less promise going fwd. I saw Mudiay play at last year's Jordan Brand Classic and I remember thinking at the time that him and Stanley Johnson looked like the best players on the court, but it's probably just going to take some time for him to develop. I don't think he's as quick as Wall or has the scoring instincts and explosiveness that Russell has. He reminds me more of a better Tyreke Evans w more pg skills.

Last edited:
I agree that it wasn't gonna work in New York. More so because of the setting rather than the structure of the team. The change of scenery and lighting a fire under their *** thing can't be understated.

But that haul back was inexcusable. That has to be stressed. No 20/20 vision either, it was clear the day it happened. And it's laughable that people are really trying to justify it.

Also the Tyson Chandler trade lowkey looks worse and worse as time progresses.

Last edited:
would you guys want wilson chandler back ? I would really have to think about trading down with denver if they give back ill will AND ty lawson w/ the 7th pick. 

We fill multiple holes with established players while still looking at the future with the pick

we could still have Oubre, Stanley Johnson, WCS, or Mario

the draft needs to come quicker :x  :lol:

I don't exactly see DEN giving Chandler, Lawson and 7th pick just for the 4th. Now if its 4th and THJR, that would be pretty fair.

C - WCS
PF - Melo
SF - Wilson Chandler
SG - J. Butler
PG - Ty Lawson

- How would you guys rank the better player between WCS, Kaminsky and Winslow?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom