2013 NY JETS OFF-SEASON THREAD 8-8 ..12 Picks ...

Never thought I would agree with Mike Francesa, but man he RIPPED us apart today :wow: :lol: . Still not a fan of the guy and refuse to listen to his show for the past few years.

NEW YORK (WFAN) — Considering how bad the Jets have been over the last few weeks, it’s hard to disagree.

WFAN’s Mike Francesa lit into Rex Ryan’s struggling team during his opening monologue on Monday, one day after Gang Green was humiliated 23-3 by the average at best Miami Dolphins at MetLife Stadium.

“That performance yesterday just sums it up. Their performance in the last couple of weeks, I’m sorry, if your name is Ryan; if your name is Idzik; if you name is Mornhinweg, you should be embarrassed. You cannot call that an NFL performance,” Francesa said.

The Jets have now lost three games in a row following their surprising 5-4 start and though they are mathematically still alive would likely need a miracle to make the playoffs.

New York has been outscored 79-20 during its losing streak and has been especially inept offensively, not finding the end zone since since the fourth quarter of its 37-14 loss at Buffalo on Nov. 17.

“It is so ineffective, so minor league, it’s hysterical,” Francesa said.

At the center of the problems has been the play at quarterback. Geno Smith was benched in the second half of Sunday’s loss. Smith has completed 39 percent of his throws on the strength of just 29 completions over his last four games. The rookie signal-caller has not thrown a touchdown pass since the Jets’ 30-27 overtime win over New England on Oct. 20.

“That isn’t even bad offense. That is offense on such a horrific level, on such an incompetent level. That is quarterback play on such an incompetent level by Geno Smith. He had nobody open and if he did he couldn’t have gotten it there, anyway,” Francesa said.”

Francesa said performances by much-maligned Mark Sanchez were “artistry” compared to what Smith has done during the Jets’ tailspin.

“Geno has a better chance of being struck by lightning on the field than of throwing a touchdown pass,” Francesa added. “He has a better chance of winning the lottery tonight than he does of throwing a 30-yard pass crisply, on time, to a wide receiver.”

Matt Simms stepped in the third quarter Sunday but went just 9-of-18 for 79 yards and an interception the rest of the way. Ironically, he was the last Jets’ QB to throw a touchdown, albeit in garbage time in the aforementioned game against the Bills.

Ryan, who could very well be coaching for his job over the final four games of the season, did not name a starter for next week’s game against visiting Oakland, but was expected to talk to the media on Monday afternoon.

“They are now just a dreadful, dreadful, unimaginative, awful [offense] just without a weapon, without any explosiveness, without any clue, and it’s painful to see Rex Ryan stand there now and try to tell you … because it’s like he has a total disconnect as head coach from his offense,” Francesa said. “It’s almost like the offense happens to him and he watches it and then tries and struggles to explain what he was watching.”

Francesa said of all the struggles the Jets have had on offense in the past, what happened Sunday set a new standard for ineptitude.

“If you didn’t coach all week, if you picked the players out of a hat and they had never played together before they could have played better than that. If they had never met, if they grabbed the uniforms and positions by lot, they would play better than that,” Francesa said.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/12...nto-ineffective-minor-league-hysterical-jets/

Last edited:
Geno Smith - I honestly don't see anything in this guy. I understand he's a rookie and I try to watch him play to see if there's some sort of foundation to build on. Sure he has an arm and is athletic enough to slide out the pocket, however things like pocket awareness, holding onto the ball in the pocket/ release time and scanning his options, I don't see at all. I get he's a rookie but I just don't see him as a franchise QB in the near future.

I agree with Rich Gannon. The Jets' 2014 starting QB is currently not in the roster.

Dee Milliner - This was tough to assess. The athleticism is there. However what he lacks is the physical play we were used to with Revis. Especially at the line of scrimmage. The matchup vs. Brian Hartline was a good showing of what he lacks. Hartline is no where near a physical specimen like Calvin, but what he has is crisp route running. On plays like quick slants or quick hooks, he gave Hartline a lot of room. It seems like he's really trying to avoid getting beat deep/ or getting the pass int penalty. I say with a good off-season plan (training and coaching), he may refine his tools. If he turns on the intensity a little more and uses his physical ability I think he'll be okay. CB is a tough transition from college to NFL, and with todays WR's being stronger and faster than ever, it may take a while for Dee to finally adapt to it.

guess no one cares about this game, huh? LOL
That's what I just said watching the seats, then Marcel Reese re-directed my attention 
mean.gif

I know I'm late but I can't even stand Francesa's voice. He gave A Rod a mic two weeks ago too....

Welp, met my prediction with 6 wins for 2013
smokin.gif
lol.

Nice to see Reed get one with the green and white too.

Player who's been sticking out as of late: Coples. Doing stuff that don't show up on the stat sheet. Finally coming along after that injury early in the season

Coples play has been awesome as of late. Would anyone be surprised if the Jets show up against the Panthers and steal it?, cuz I wouldn't.

Coples play has been awesome as of late. Would anyone be surprised if the Jets show up against the Panthers and steal it?, cuz I wouldn't.

As far as I'm concerned,

Jets playoff picture: We have to win out against the Panthers, Browns Josh Gordon, and the Dolphins.

-The Ravens still have to play in Detroit and against New England and Cincinnati and would have to lose 2 of those.
-The Dolphins have to play the Patriots, Bills and we get them in Week 17 so we control destiny over them.
-The Chargers play the Broncos this week, then the Raiders and end with the Chiefs. I would think they have to lose 2 of those as well.

Highly doubtful the Jets win out, but if they were to, odds can be greatly in their favor for that 6 seed.

One can dream...

Last edited:
I honesty think today is a make or break game for geno if we win and he looks good I say we don't draft a qb in the 1st 3 rounds

So after that SOJ loss to the Panthers, this is how the playoffs look for us to get the 6th seed:

If Jets win their last two games (CLE, @MIA)
If the Ravens loses their last three games (@DET, NE, @CIN)
If Chargers loses to KC (W17), W16 doesn't matter
If Dolphins loses out (@BUF, NYJ)
If Steelers loses 1 game (CIN, @GB, CLE)

A Ravens loss tomorrow night though and we are eliminated.

I would believe the Raven lose three in a row before I could i believe the jets win 2 games in a row this season

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom