2013 NFL Draft thread - ( Early Entrees, Mocks, Combine etc )

I'm gonna go talk to my cat, he makes more sense

So what is DR gonna do in the NFL? Run every play?
Stop man, go back actually READ what I said, nowhere did I say DR would be a good choice at QB, so I'm not going to even bother trying to defend how well he'd do in the NFL as a QB.

here's the tl;dr of what I said: 

Chip = crazy in a think outside the box way

Chip tried to recruit DR before

Chip is looking for a duel threat QB, because he signed 2

I thought it would be funny if he drafted DR as a QB instead of what he's projected to go as.
laugh.gif

Reading comprehension went out the window in here. 

Last edited:
I'm curious how Marrone handles the QB situation in Buffalo. I think he should give Fitzpatrick a go, but keep him on a short leash. Ship Tarvaris to a team in need of a backup and draft some competition for Thigpen if Fitzpatrick were to fail. I like Fitz, but he's GOT to limit the interceptions.

^rumors are they're trying to restructure Fitz's contract and people are guessing they're going to go with Nassib, because they worked together for a while, and ran the same K gun offense. Jim Kelly gave Marrone the Bills play book from the early 90's at the beginning of this season when he coached Syracuse. So, Nassib's been running their plays for a whole season.   

@ScarsOrScabs  - Yeah, both run and throw as a QB, they have the same set of skills.

skill set does not = level of skill, which is what I think you thought I meant with that. 

Last edited:
Yikes. Denard and Vick in the same sentence...and Vick sucks. Even Michigan fans will admit, that's saying something.

Last edited:
^This wasn't about Denard being good. 

vick does suck though

Last edited:
How would getting Barret Jones in the 2nd round be a reach?

@ScarsOrScabs - Yeah, both run and throw as a QB, they have the same set of skills.

skill set does not = level of skill, which is what I think you thought I meant with that.

joker1nb5xt9.gif

Last edited:
Denard Robinson is going to the Eagles i bet, watch Chip drafts to play QB to, even when analysts are saying he'll be a WR or RB.

chip talked to him at the senior bowl and reminded him that he tried to recruit him to the ducks.
IF the eagles draft denard, i'm fairly sure it is for a "randle el" type role..

obviously the kid is talented.. and if a coach is imaginative enough he will find a way to use him in the NFL.. it's simply the eagles doing their due diligence on a player that can be a very versatile one in the league
^he just resigned Vick who has virtually the same skill sets and body size as DR, and is a TO machine you should become a browns fan on that alone 
ohwell.gif
it's the off season.. we dont have a great QB on our team presently.. and our resigning of vick was for salary cap reasons

vick's cap number under his previous contract would have been 14 or 15 mill IF he was not released.. now vick has to do a number of things at various stages to be able to collect various incentives under the contract..

but essentially if vick is the starting QB for the eagles next season and plays certain number of snaps, then his salary will essentially be 7 mill.. then he has bonuses for various things, one of which is a million dollar bonus for either winning or making the super bowl
i wasn't saying drafting DR as QB would be a good decision, just that i think Chip is crazy enough to do it, which is why I think it's equal to resigning Vick.

i only watched a few games of DR this year, but going by stats, he has the same if not better than what Vick did coming out of college

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Vick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denard_Robinson
see what i mention above.. and denard wasn't the only QB we looked at..

hell, if denard is available late in the draft.. maybe the eagles will draft him.. but AGAIN, i'm pretty sure they will be doing so because they feel like him can have impact in the NFL in a number of ways
Eagles just signed Dennis Dixon to 2 year deal as QB, and you though I was crzay for thinking Chip would be crazy enough 
laugh.gif

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/e...dixon-reunite-eagles-sign-qb-to-two-year-deal
i think dixon is being brought in so that kelly can more easily assimilate his coaching/teaching methods to the NFL..

by having guys who have played for you before, they know what your expectations are when it comes time to doing things
^so great the last time he played was 2010 in just 2 games, 1 in 2009 and 1 in 2008. he was drafted in the 5th 156 over all

fact is, Chip is looking for a duel threat QB even if people think he's reaching, if your football IQ was so high you would know that.
eyes.gif
i dont know if that is a fact.. chip didnt have a running QB when he was at new hampshire..

i believe chip and our front office looked at the guys who would be available through free agency, trade and/or the draft and didnt see many great options.. as i mentioned above, vick redid his deal to make it a very eagles friendly one.. also something that hasnt, been considered is the potential to now trade vick since his salary is more favorable to potential suitors (obviously dont expect anything crazy, but who knows.. it is an option)
1) I never said his stats would translate to the NFL. I said they were better than Vicks in some areas, which is a fact you would know if you bothered to check the links. You seem to be under the impression I think  DR would be a good pick as QB in any round and that I think Vick is a good QB in general.

2) Chip said in the press conference (which I actually listened to), that he would be having a open competition at QB, Vick and Foles were just the only QB's on the team at the time. 

3) If Chip tailors his offense each year to his players, then why would Chip hire Dixon to teach an offense that was tailored to him 6 YEARS AGO, and not tailor it to his players like he always does? If Chip didn't stick with one system he wouldn't need someone to teach them a system from 6 years ago. See, I thought of these things too, which is why I didn't assume he'd be there just for training.
wink.gif

Chip just resigned 1 duel threat and hired another. Logically he'd be using a system that incorporates a duel threat in the upcoming season.  
2) trent edwards is also still on the roster.. and then the draft is around the corner

3) i dont think dixon was brought in to teach a system per se..

i think it had more to do with chip bringing in a player he is obviously very familiar with, who could help him get the other players on the same page with what he is expecting from them..

kelly's training methods have been discussed all over the place.. and i'm pretty sure it's going be new for the majority of the players who are already in place and are brought it.. so i believe that's why he brought couple of the coaches from oregon with him.. and also why he wants guys who would have been coached by him previously there on the field

Last edited:
denard could very well go day 2 but like edelman,mcluster or hester

where teams are just drafting a athlete aka special teams,running back,wide receiver whatever

he does best

but i heard he hasnt had a good showing at receiver so if thats the case he'll most likely be a day 3

special teams guy

Why would anyone draft Denard Robinson to be a QB? That would be a complete waste of a pick. He can help a team in many other areas...but SOLELY as a QB? Nah....

Why would anyone draft Denard Robinson to be a QB? That would be a complete waste of a pick. He can help a team in many other areas...but SOLELY as a QB? Nah....

Because he has the same "skill set" as Mike Vick. I mean they both have arms that allow them to throw a football and legs that they can run with so they're comparable...right?

[h1]Pre-combine position rankings for 2013 NFL Draft[/h1]
  • mike_mayock-110726_65.jpg
  • By Mike Mayock
  • Published: Feb. 15, 2013 at 09:50 p.m.
  • 0 Likes  |  0 Comments
With the NFL Scouting Combine beginning on Feb. 23, Mike Mayock unveils the first of his position-by-position rankings for the 2013 NFL Draft.
[h4]Quarterback[/h4]
1. Geno Smith, West Virginia
2. Matt Barkley, USC
3. Mike Glennon, NC State
4. Ryan Nassib, Syracuse
5. Landry Jones, Oklahoma
[table][tr][td]
[table][tr][td]
Mock draft central
[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td]
Events:
» NFL Scouting Combine | Pro days | Draft

Mock drafts:
» Norris: Glennon to Cardinals
» Jeremiah: Joeckel falls to Lions
» Brooks: Version 2.0 still has Smith at No. 1
» Breer: No quarterbacks in first round
» Brandt: Joeckel, Werner, Smith go 1-2-3

Draft coverage:
» Mayock's top prospects by position | Analysis
» Brandt: Draft QBs by the numbers
» Combine invitees | Te'o headlines list | Snubs
» Brooks: Offensive rankings | Defensive rankings
» NFL Draft Tracker Podcast: Latest buzz

Video:
» Deepest and thinnest positions in draft
» Mayock explains the combine drills[/td][/tr][/table]
[/td][/tr][/table][h4]Running Back[/h4]
1. Eddie Lacy, Alabama
2. Montee Ball, Wisconsin
3. Andre Ellington, Clemson
4. Giovani Bernard, North Carolina
5. Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina
[h4]Wide Receiver[/h4]
1. Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee
2. Keenan Allen, Cal
3. Terrance Williams, Baylor
4. Tavon Austin, West Virginia
5. Quinton Patton, Louisiana Tech
[h4]Tight End[/h4]
1. Tyler Eifert, Notre Dame
2. Zach Ertz, Stanford
3. Gavin Escobar, San Diego State
4. Travis Kelce, Cincinnati
5. Jordan Reed, Florida
[h4]Center[/h4]
1. Travis Frederick, Wisconsin
2. Brian Schwenke, Cal
3. Barrett Jones, Alabama
4. Khaled Holmes, USC
5. Braxston Cave, Notre Dame
[h4]Guard[/h4]
1. Chance Warmack, Alabama
2. Jonathan Cooper, North Carolina
3. Larry Warford, Kentucky
4. Kyle Long, Oregon
5. Brian Winters, Kent State
[h4]Tackle[/h4]
1. Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M
2. Eric Fisher, Central Michigan
3. Lane Johnson, Oklahoma
4. D.J. Fluker, Alabama
T-5. Menelik Watson, Florida State
T-5. Justin Pugh, Syracuse
[h4]Defensive End[/h4]
1. Bjoern Werner, Florida State
2. Damontre Moore, Texas A&M
3. Ezekiel Ansah, BYU
4. Sam Montgomery, LSU
T-5. Datone Jones, UCLA
T-5. Margus Hunt, SMU
[h4]Defensive Tackle[/h4]
1. Sharrif Floyd, Florida
2. Star Lotulelei, Utah
3. Sheldon Richardson, Missouri
4. Sylvester Williams, North Carolina
T-5. Kawann Short, Purdue
T-5. Johnathan Hankins, Ohio State
[h4]Outside linebacker[/h4]
1. Dion Jordan, Oregon
2. Jarvis Jones, Georgia
3. Khaseem Greene, Rutgers
4. Barkevious Mingo, LSU
5. Arthur Brown, Kansas State

Brooks: Five best fits for Te'o

bucky_brooks-110726_65.jpg
Manti Te'o is one of the NFL draft's most intriguing prospects. Where will he land? Bucky Brooks finds five solid fits. More ...
[h4]Inside linebacker[/h4]
1. Alec Ogletree, Georgia
2. Manti Te'o, Notre Dame
3. Kevin Minter, LSU
4. Kevin Reddick, North Carolina
5. Kiko Alonso, Oregon
[h4]Cornerback[/h4]
1. Dee Milliner, Alabama
2. Xavier Rhodes, Florida State
3. Johnthan Banks, Mississippi State
4. Desmond Trufant, Washington
5. Jordan Poyer, Oregon State
[h4]Safety[/h4]
1. Kenny Vaccaro, Texas
2. Matt Elam, Florida
3. Johnathan Cyprien, Florida International
4. Eric Reid, LSU
5. Zeke Motta, Notre Dame

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1...ecombine-position-rankings-for-2013-nfl-draft

so what im hearing now is marquise goodwin could run something stupid in the weekend

and jump a few rounds if he in fact he runs said stupid 40.

anyone know anything about him?

also onterio mccalebb is suppose to be up there too

He'll rip off a 4.3x at the combine, definitely a sub 4.35. He's really small though. Wouldn't be surprised if he weighed in at something like 5'9" 175.

Athleticism is off the charts. I believe he owns the NCAA triple jump record. Scratch that. Too hard to type what he actually did from my phone, but it's easy to find his track and field accomplishments.

For some reason he only touched the ball 30 times this season. Mack Brown should be fired based on that alone.

Last edited:
He'll rip off a 4.3x at the combine, definitely a sub 4.35. He's really small though. Wouldn't be surprised if he weighed in at something like 5'9" 175.

Athleticism is off the charts. I believe he owns the NCAA triple jump record. Scratch that. Too hard to type what he actually did from my phone, but it's easy to find his track and field accomplishments.

For some reason he only touched the ball 30 times this season. Mack Brown should be fired based on that alone.
smh

Marcus Lattimore says at NFL combine doctors will be “shocked” at recovery from ugly college injury

By Frank Schwab | Dr. Saturday – 4 hours ago

As long as college football is played and there are injuries, Marcus Lattimore's leg injury will be brought up in the same way NFL fans still remember Joe Theismann. The injury was gruesome and heartbreaking, considering it seemed on first glance that Lattimore's immense pro future was also leaving that field on a cart.

But since Lattimore announced he was leaving the college game behind to enter the NFL draft, the news from his camp has been a never-ending stream of positivity, with the latest being an optimistic proclamation concerning this week's scouting combine.

Speaking on South Carolina's weekly "Inside the Roost" radio show (via midlandsconnect.com), Lattimore said NFL doctors "will be shocked, I can tell you that," about the health of his surgically repaired knee.

Lattimore said Dr. James Andrews will accompany him to Indianapolis to answer any questions to NFL teams, which probably says a lot about Lattimore's personality that the famous doctor would do so. Lattimore won't do any drills at the combine but will start running next Monday, he said on the radio show.

Without seeing Lattimore in a full workout – and Lattimore has already said he isn't sure if he'll participate in South Carolina's pro day – teams will be taking a leap of faith by drafting Lattimore. While the positive messages from Lattimore are great to hear, they still need to be taken with some skepticism before he works out in full for teams.

On talent level alone, Lattimore is an easy gamble to take for a NFL team. He was a can't-miss NFL prospect before a pair of knee injuries, including a harrowing one just a few months ago. But without seeing Lattimore's ability to run and cut after that injury, the risk gets a lot steeper. In the best-case scenario, stories about Lattimore's awful injury will include a happy ending about how he overcame it to star in the NFL.

I'd gladly welcome Marcus Lattimore
smokin.gif

[h4] [/h4]
[h4]Defensive Tackle[/h4]
1. Sharrif Floyd, Florida
2. Star Lotulelei, Utah
3. Sheldon Richardson, Missouri
4. Sylvester Williams, North Carolina
T-5. Kawann Short, Purdue
T-5. Johnathan Hankins, Ohio State
mean.gif
 My goodness. Very overrated group of 1st rd DT, mainly at the top half.

Star is the definition of overrated. I've never seen someone touted so highly but be so inconsistent/underwhelming on game film. S. Richardson I like - alot - but these Darnell Dockett comps are too much, IMO. His 'motor' is appreciated though...unlike someone.

Floyd has to be a 3 tech to best suit his athleticism...can't wait til I hear Mayock on this guy and rave about his 'violent' hands.
laugh.gif
 Only thing I HATE is no production, 4 sacks in 3 years. No bueno.

Best pass rushing DT in this draft is Kawaan Short to me. Rushes the passer like a DE on the inside and is above average vs the run, often taking on 2 blockers. only knock I can tell is he doesn't have many moves & doesn't use his hands as much as others like Floyd, Sly Williams, Richardson. Aside from that I see a little Gerald McCoy in him and McCoy went 5th (?) overall.

Back
Top Bottom