2013 NBA Trade Deadline Thread: February 21

Absolutely serious.

They instantly become more athletic, offensively and defensively. How is that not a change?

That's the reason the Thunder beat them last year. Not to mention - Josh Smith changes, and becomes a better player under Pop, like everyone else whose played under him.

Pretty important if you ask me.

This Josh Smith trade rumor situation is going to get crazy, Hawks have to trade him. So far we got Brooklyn and San Antonio.

Last edited:
I think it definitely helps. Not sure if that means an NBA Finals appearance, but it definitely gives that aging core some youth and may alleviate some pressure from them. He would play a pretty important role for them and probably will do it well.

Last edited:
spurs lol

lol@ the spurs somehow in trade talks for al jefferson and now josh smith.

neal captain jack and a second rounder for josh smith

bonner, patty mills, and green for al jefferson

get it done spurs because when they are mentioned in trade talk it is serious and legit

Post all the gifs you want, the Spurs space everything out and run their system to a T during the regular season.

Once teams get time to prepare for them, they are able to slow them down and pick who and where the Spurs will get their shots.

Guess what, you put Josh Smith on the floor, the opposing defense will give him open J after open J ALL NIGHT LONG.

It's what they want.

Josh will certainly make them younger, more athletic, help them on defense for sure, but on offense, he will stall them. He will become the guy other teams let shoot and he won't be able to make enough to win a series. He'll have on nights, just like last night, but a 2 week stretch of it, followed by another 2 week stretch, and then another, etc that he'd need in the post season?

Nothing changes.

OKC and the Clippers would still be able to contend with them just fine. They'd both matchup without having to do anything drastic.

CP you my boy and all but
Post all the gifs you want, the Spurs space everything out and run their system to a T during the regular season.

Once teams get time to prepare for them, they are able to slow them down and pick who and where the Spurs will get their shots.

Guess what, you put Josh Smith on the floor, the opposing defense will give him open J after open J ALL NIGHT LONG.

It's what they want.

Josh will certainly make them younger, more athletic, help them on defense for sure, but on offense, he will stall them. He will become the guy other teams let shoot and he won't be able to make enough to win a series. He'll have on nights, just like last night, but a 2 week stretch of it, followed by another 2 week stretch, and then another, etc that he'd need in the post season?

Nothing changes.

OKC and the Clippers would still be able to contend with them just fine. They'd both matchup without having to do anything drastic.
Josh Smith is a much improved jump shooter though, and he fills our need for inside play and rebounding. Plus he will get physical in the post which is what our bigs have not been dong. I dont think he will stall us on offense, the thing about our System is that anyone can play in it word to Danny Green

Last edited:
Danny Green can shoot tho.

It's fine by me. I don't mind if they get Smith so we can all see it play out. When I'm right, then ya'll better come look me up and say so. You know I'll come in and admit when I'm wrong, always have. :wink:

BTW, you willing to give up Leonard for Josh? Cuz that's what it's going to cost.

Last edited:
Does any have the feeling that if Josh Smith is added to the Nets, they would become the Atlanta Hawks 2.0 from 2007-2012 all over again? While he may be an upgrade in the front court, do you think it's enough to get past MIA, Chi, NY, and Indy?? Hell the way the C's are playing now, that series could possibly go 7. The way this team is constructed, Deron Williams needs to do better than 16 & 7 every night for them to have a legit shot.

Danny Green can shoot tho.

It's fine by me. I don't mind if they get Smith so we can all see it play out. When I'm right, then ya'll better come look me up and say so. You know I'll come in and admit when I'm wrong, always have.
wink.gif

BTW, you willing to give up Leonard for Josh? Cuz that's what it's going to cost.
Ehhh thats iffy. Hes on my "Do not trade" list. I definitely wont give him up for Jefferson, but Smith is a maybe. Dont worry I will be looking for you come playoff time.

I been hearin that for like 7 years man, the day ain't coming.

Every year I'm right and can't find dude. Hibernates during the summer or something. :lol:

I been hearin that for like 7 years man, the day ain't coming.

Every year I'm right and can't find dude. Hibernates during the summer or something.
laugh.gif
cant belive its been 7 years since Spurs won anything.  Shocking especially considering they are like best team in league every year.

Any chance on the Wizards moving Crawford/Booker for Markieff Morris?  I think Morris would be a good stretch 4 for us coming off the bench.

Wizards absolutely need to clean house and show Wall and Beal that they can build around them i.e. OKC

That whole roster should be moved imo :x

[h2]Joe Johnson to sign a ridiculous deal with the Atlanta Hawks[/h2]
By Kelly Dwyer

ept_sports_nba_experts-413711086-1278000756.jpg
It's never a good sign when, a full week before a player is set to put pen to paper to ink his most recent contract, that a good portion of the NBA community regards that contract as the worst it has ever seen.

Not the worst trade, nor the worst draft selection. And we're not talking about considering Joe Johnson's new contract with the Atlanta Hawks (as first reported by Adrian Wojnarowski) as the worst contract we've ever seen a few years into the deal, or a few years after it expires in retrospect.

We're feeling this way, right now. On July 1, seven days before he even gets to sign the deal. Worst contract, ever.

It's that bad. Six years, and $119 million dollars for a player regarded as a second option at best on a great team. At best. Johnson will be 29 years of age to start this contract, 35 to end it, so Atlanta will get his one peak season (unless last year's run of over 21 points and a combined 9.5 rebounds/assists was the best we've seen), and then the downfall.

At about $20 million a year.
http://
Bear in mind that Johnson achieved those stats by absolutely dominating the ball for the Hawks. Just owning it, for large stretches, forcing either a potential score or a potential assist to be added to his ledger just about every other time down court. All while playing huge minutes, 38 per game in fact; which was actually the lowest mark we've seen from Johnson since his second year in the league.

[Photos: See Joe Johnson's moves on the court]

It's just an astonishing deal, on so many levels. A good part of me thinks that — because his stats are so inflated by his ball dominance and big minutes — that Johnson will be worth about half of his yearly salary next year (next year!), so imagine how far he'll taper off by 2016? Johnson isn't the most athletic player we've seen, he isn't tricky enough with the ball to get to the line much (a shocking 3.5 free-throw attempts per game, criminal for someone who has the ball so much, and for so long), and this isn't someone who will age well.

On top of that, didn't we watch him age quite considerably in the playoffs last season? Johnson averaged 11.8 points per game in the second round, shooting a terrifying 29.5 percent along the way. He seemed nonplussed as ever as his Hawks fell out of the second round again, and for the second time in five years, he's chosen big offseason money over a chance at a championship.

The Hawks? They're the big boys, here. They're supposed to be smarter than this, and in spite of all the talk about how this team had no choice but to stick with the status quo and see what happened? Bollocks.

This man could be nearly half of your salary cap in a few years. We have no idea how the new collective bargaining agreement will shake out, but even under the ridiculous payroll runs of the last six or seven years, handing nearly $120 million to a 29-year-old who has yet to do anything more meaningful than dribble a lot and shoot a lot and look real tired in January? It boggles the mind.

Yes, you're backed into a corner, and you can't afford to let your best offensive player go without any proper sign-and-trade compensation. I understand that, but signing above what you originally hoped to pay only goes so far. There has to be a cutoff price, at some point, and paying Joe Johnson around $20 million in 2015-16 has to be that point. Hell, paying Joe Johnson $20 million in 2011-12 has to be that point.

This is just an absurd contract that, even if the Hawks ownership is banking on selling the team midway through Johnson's deal as has been rumored, cannot be justified or argued-for in any meaningful way.

There's just no way around it. Joe is a nice player who might get to shoot himself into yet another All-Star berth next season. If he's lucky, the year after that, even. Give it to him. Let the Hawks roll to the second round again, earning the ownership a few more gate receipts as they take yet another first-round series to seven games.

Doesn't matter. As it stands, this is the worst free-agent contract I have ever seen. Roll over Eddy Curry, tell Jim McIlvaine the news.
I rest my case

Yeah but they flipped him, so they should get like a medal, or something for that. :lol:

I mean, the Nets bought him, when he's older, and the cost is going up each year for him.

Ferry is the GM now, so far he shipped out Johnson and won't re-sign Smith to a huge deal..

Back
Top Bottom