2013-2014 NBA Season Thread - Congrats to the Spurs, DBD is still a buster

Status
Not open for further replies.
LeBron, Durant, and Davis will be the three best players in the league next year.

"So far, Davis is working on adding the corner 3-point shot, more post move and a pull-up jumper off the dribble to his repertoire."

That plus the weight he put on....the NBA is in trouble.

That kid is the future..always great to watch...
he's laker bound one day
Mark my words n remember that
I just have a feeling

Maybe he'll sign with his hometown one day can only hope

Last edited:
[h2]All-NBA[/h2]
First team
G Stephen Curry
G James Harden
F LeBron James
F Kevin Durant
F Joakim Noah

Second team
G Chris Paul
G Goran Dragic
F Kevin Love
F Blake Griffin
C Dwight Howard

Third team
G Kyle Lowry
G Paul George
F Dirk Nowitzki
F Anthony Davis
C Al Jefferson

• I’ve cheated a little and moved George into a guard spot, though he and Lance Stephenson switch assignments defensively just enough that I’m not sweating it. Regardless: The league should consider moving to a point guard/wing/big man set of positional designations. Point guard play on both ends is its own unique thing, while shooting guards and small forwards are interchangeable on most teams. The gap between power forward and center can be larger, but most teams still play two at least semitraditional big men, and there is much cross-matching between the two positions. Watch the Grizz, and you’ll often see opponents use their center to defend Zach Randolph while the power forward takes Marc Gasol.

• The George move is necessary for two reasons:

1. He deserves an All-NBA spot for a full season of elite defense and half a season of elite offense for a limited scoring team that overextends him. This is unhealthy for the Pacers’ luxury tax situation going forward, but George has earned it.

2. There are just too damn many great forwards. We need as many of them as possible on the All-NBA teams.

• Seriously, look who didn’t make the cut: Carmelo freaking Anthony, LaMarcus Aldridge, Duncan, and DeMarcus Cousins. The last two might technically be centers in at least some lineups, and you could make arguments for either over Professor Al. Heck, I thought hard about shifting Davis to center — he plays about a third of his minutes there — and ditching Jefferson to free up a forward spot for Anthony.

There is really no right way to do this. Anthony was fantastic this season — 45 percent from the floor, a career-best 40 percent from deep, center-level rebounding, some decent (if uneven) passing, and the ninth-best PER in the league. The Knicks’ offense went to crap when he hit the bench, per NBA.com. It’s crazy he may not make an All-NBA team in what might be his very best season. It’s bananas.

Who gets the ax? All five of LeBron, Durant, Love, Griffin, and Dirk have to be here someplace, and, boom, five of the six forward spots are gone. The league demands some fealty to the center position, and Noah, Howard, and Jefferson are all worthy candidates.

As a side note, I’ve seen a lot of All-NBA teams leave off Howard, almost as an afterthought. I don’t get that. Howard hasn’t been quite as dominant offensively as he was in Orlando, and he has missed a bunch of games in the stretch run. But this dude is still shooting 60 percent, drawing heaps of free throws and double teams on the block, working as a devastating pick-and-roll force, and holding together an otherwise crappy Houston defense.

Again: There are lots of other great big man candidates, and you can massage the positions a bit to get the players you want on the team. But it’s not as if Howard is clearly a level below those guys, at least once you factor in his defense.

• New York fans will protest the inclusion of Davis and Jefferson over Anthony, and they have a strong claim. It’s an impossible choice. Davis is on a losing team with a worse record than the Knicks, though he plays in a much tougher conference, and injuries obliterated almost the entirety of the Pellies’ roster. His numbers are better across the board, and he’s quite clearly a better defender than Anthony.

Jefferson’s numbers on offense aren’t quite as impressive as Melo’s, but the two were close to even after Jefferson recovered from an ankle issue that derailed him early. Neither is a good defender, and it isn’t Melo’s fault Steve Clifford was better at hiding his team’s defensive deficiencies than Mike Woodson is. But Clifford also coaxed improvement out of Kemba Walker and started two wing defenders — Gerald Henderson and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist — who are probably better on that end than any of New York’s wing guys. It’s very hard to untangle individual player achievement from coaching and roster context.

At the end, it’s really a coin flip. Jefferson’s team is in the playoffs, and Melo’s team was a massive disappointment that couldn’t function on Anthony’s weak half of the floor. Jefferson props up an otherwise blah offense the same way Melo does. Also, the Bobcats sent this paint can touting Jefferson’s accomplishments in the paint:

• Lowry has been a hair better as a two-way player than the other candidates for the final guard spot — John Wall, Damian Lillard, Kyrie Irving, Tony Parker, Conley, Isaiah Thomas, DeRozan, etc. It’s very close in some cases. Wall has been very good as the league’s master of generating corner 3s, and there’s something to be said for some Spur, any Spur, appearing on an All-NBA team. But I’m going with Lowry.

• Paul abdicates his customary first-team spot due to missed games, but he has been so good when healthy, there will be no protest from this end if he displaces either Curry or Harden. In that scenario, I’d likely keep Curry on the first team, but we’re splitting hairs.

• You could swap Dirk in for either Love or Griffiin on the second team. All three have probably been among the league’s 10 best players this season, and they’ve all been better than Aldridge. The power forward position … what a bloodbath.

• If we have to cheat a bit to include George, then we also have to demote him to the third team and honor Dragic’s breakout season with a second-team appearance.

And that’s it. This is a torturous exercise — fun, but also torturous. Until next year!

Last edited:
"So far, Davis is working on adding the corner 3-point shot, more post move and a pull-up jumper off the dribble to his repertoire."

That plus the weight he put on....the NBA is in trouble.

His pull up jumper is already pretty damn good. This dude is going to be ridiculous.

Can't wait to see Anthony Davis next year, as long as he stays healthy he's definitely the next KG/TD esque phenom, he have it all.

I'm opening myself up to the #EarlyCrowningMovement screenshots for next year.
laugh.gif

I believe it though.

The fact that the Blazer announcers go absolutely SILENT still kills me to this day. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Bunch of ******* front running ******* that dream everyday of being even 2% of our franchise. :lol: :lol: :pimp:

What makes this even better was i believe they jumped up from either 3-2 or 2-1 in the Western conference playoff standings due to this, So there was actually something important on the line.

Knick fans :rofl:

Mad that Carmelo didnt make All-NBA, don't care that he gutted your team and made you worse off going forward

I'm opening myself up to the #EarlyCrowningMovement screenshots for next year. :lol:

I believe it though.

Hey ************* laughed at me when I said AD could be prime KG with better shot blocking.

Doesn't look so funny now. :lol:

Curry can't eem guard his position. He's given whichever of the 2 guards is weakest every game. He still should have gotten the nod over that overrated flopping whining ***** tho.

smush parker is on highly questionable right now. Anyone remember the story of him smashing an nt'ers girl? Dude walked in on them and she was undressed. Claimed she was just showing him a tattoo I think.

Last edited:
smush parker is on highly questionable right now. Anyone remember the story of him smashing an nt'ers girl? Dude walked in on them and she was undressed. Claimed she was just showing him a tattoo I think.

da #smushcalade doe :lol:

So y'all gonna ignore that billboard that was up in SA? :nerd:

image.jpg

nevermind Spurs tanked a season away to draft Duncan right so it should be TANK vs BANK

image.jpg

Last edited:
So y'all gonna ignore that billboard that was up in SA? :nerd:

nevermind Spurs tanked a season away to draft Duncan right so it should be TANK vs BANK

I was about to say, they're full of ****. :lol:

They ain't build Tim Duncan, he was already a finished product.

Paul George got a 7 million dollar bonus for making all NBA this year.

This is why making the all star team is important. Making the playoffs and the WCF is important. Making All NBA Defense. Leading the league in scoring, or assist. $$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom