2013-Scion-FR-S-trunk-2-1024x640.jpg

2013-Scion-FR-S-front-drivers-seat-1024x640.jpg

2013-Scion-FR-S-front-passenger-seat-1024x640.jpg

2013-Scion-FR-S-passenger-window-1024x640.jpg

2013-Scion-FR-S-folded-back-seat-1024x640.jpg

2013-Nissan-GT-R-trunk-1024x640.jpg

430730_10150573741526312_18332466311_9107994_2128575402_n.jpg

Toyota lead developer confirms droptop FT-86

Around the Autoblog virtual office, the Toyota GT-86 is among the most eagerly awaited new models this year. So when we spotted a report in AutoBild that Tetsuya Tada, the chief engineer of the car, has confirmed that a convertible is coming, we got excited.

Of course, we're tempering our excitement with the knowledge that the 2013 Scion FR-S we're getting here in North America isn't the Toyota version. It may be the same actual car save for the brightwork, but when it comes to market positioning and all that stuff, Scion has differing objectives than the parent brand.

While we have heard rumors of a convertible before, they came in the context of the third GT-86 offspring, the Subaru BRZ. If a convertible version of the car ever does see the light of day here in the States, though, we're certainly not going to quibble over its badges.

Toyota lead developer confirms droptop FT-86

Around the Autoblog virtual office, the Toyota GT-86 is among the most eagerly awaited new models this year. So when we spotted a report in AutoBild that Tetsuya Tada, the chief engineer of the car, has confirmed that a convertible is coming, we got excited.

Of course, we're tempering our excitement with the knowledge that the 2013 Scion FR-S we're getting here in North America isn't the Toyota version. It may be the same actual car save for the brightwork, but when it comes to market positioning and all that stuff, Scion has differing objectives than the parent brand.

While we have heard rumors of a convertible before, they came in the context of the third GT-86 offspring, the Subaru BRZ. If a convertible version of the car ever does see the light of day here in the States, though, we're certainly not going to quibble over its badges.

Is it just me, or does this car look dated already? Especially the rear. Its design woudve been amazing if we were in the early 2000's still. 

Is it just me, or does this car look dated already? Especially the rear. Its design woudve been amazing if we were in the early 2000's still. 

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

The styling isn't futuristic like most cars these days, which I think is good and will remain a classic look but what make it look bad in that comparo pics with the GTR is the color. I hate light silver colors on cars, it rarely does the car justice. It's bad enough pics makes the car look less appealing but add bland color and it makes it look worse. It looks much better in other colors but man if you see it in person, you wouldn't be saying that I am almost sure of it. I saw it at the Autoshow a few months ago and it was very impressive but the design is definitely more classic looking (like the Supra and RX7)than futuristic.
dsiHm.jpg

vEjmT.jpg

VhMHU.jpg

U2e04.jpg

The styling isn't futuristic like most cars these days, which I think is good and will remain a classic look but what make it look bad in that comparo pics with the GTR is the color. I hate light silver colors on cars, it rarely does the car justice. It's bad enough pics makes the car look less appealing but add bland color and it makes it look worse. It looks much better in other colors but man if you see it in person, you wouldn't be saying that I am almost sure of it. I saw it at the Autoshow a few months ago and it was very impressive but the design is definitely more classic looking (like the Supra and RX7)than futuristic.
dsiHm.jpg

vEjmT.jpg

VhMHU.jpg

U2e04.jpg

I don't think it'll bother me if they make a convertible version, as long as it looks good and performs the same, it should actually be lighter as a convertible too. A good alternative to Miatas.

BRZ convertible PS
0WcBW.jpg

I don't think it'll bother me if they make a convertible version, as long as it looks good and performs the same, it should actually be lighter as a convertible too. A good alternative to Miatas.

BRZ convertible PS
0WcBW.jpg

For sure the Supra is a classic design, RX-7, I guess in the eyes of tuners its a classic. Not as iconic as the Supra IMO, but those 2 cars obviously look dated.

This car may turn out to be a classic design, but it still looks like a design of an early 2000 car. Almost a new gen Celica you could say, or before Toyota had Scion, the Toyota tC.

Still looks good, I never said it was ugly. Just doesnt look like a 2012 model.

For sure the Supra is a classic design, RX-7, I guess in the eyes of tuners its a classic. Not as iconic as the Supra IMO, but those 2 cars obviously look dated.

This car may turn out to be a classic design, but it still looks like a design of an early 2000 car. Almost a new gen Celica you could say, or before Toyota had Scion, the Toyota tC.

Going to have to disagree. Every time I see one on the road, it still looks pretty damn good and doesn't look dated at all. Just need to have afresh paint on it and newer wheels and things looks like it was built yesterday. 

Going to have to disagree. Every time I see one on the road, it still looks pretty damn good and doesn't look dated at all. Just need to have afresh paint on it and newer wheels and things looks like it was built yesterday. 

Show me a futuristic car that cost less than $30,000

Show me a futuristic car that cost less than $30,000

2012-Toyota-Celica-Front-View.jpg

yep, peep da celica from da 2000's in comparison...

2012-Toyota-Celica-Front-View.jpg

yep, peep da celica from da 2000's in comparison...

I don't really mind the look of those Celicas. I think if those would have been RWD, it would probably be what the FR-S is now. I'm looking forward to seeing these on the street and seeing what people do with them. The aftermarket possibilities are going to be huge for the FR-S. 

I don't really mind the look of those Celicas. I think if those would have been RWD, it would probably be what the FR-S is now. I'm looking forward to seeing these on the street and seeing what people do with them. The aftermarket possibilities are going to be huge for the FR-S. 

never a fan of the celicas, or the supra in terms of looks, although knowing what the supra is, i break my neck every time see it...its def rare nowadays.

never a fan of the celicas, or the supra in terms of looks, although knowing what the supra is, i break my neck every time see it...its def rare nowadays.

Originally Posted by RFX45

BRZ convertible PS

Actually it should be heavier from the additional bracing. The 2013 Miata is suppose to weigh around 2100 lbs with 145hp hmm.

Back
Top Bottom