2011 Official Boxing Thread: 12/30 Jermain Taylor + Andre Dirrell return on ShoBox.

^ i was also there watchin the champ train. people say he has ring rust i think not! floyd's in really good shape if anything he just needs to sharpen up for ortiz.
Sept. 17 cant come soon enough.

Ortiz will catch Floyd a few times because of his rust.....probably the most in years but Floyd will still win by UD

Ortiz will catch Floyd a few times because of his rust.....probably the most in years but Floyd will still win by UD

Spoiler [+]
LAS VEGAS -- Junior welterweight titlist Amir Khan has an important and potentially very difficult fight in front of him, but that has not stopped him and his team from looking into their crystal ball and thinking about the future and a move up in weight.

[+] Enlarge
Scott Heavey/Getty ImagesZab Judah will be Amir Khan's toughest test to date.

First things first, though. Khan faces fellow titlist Zab Judah to unify 140-pound belts on Saturday night (HBO, 10 ET) at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in what could be an explosive fight.

Khan originally thought he would be facing another titleholder, Timothy Bradley Jr., but that was before Bradley surprisingly declined the fight he had called out for, even after being offered everything he could have possibly wanted -- a career-high payday (that could have reached about $1.8 million) and a 50-50 deal.

Judah, with speed and power in both hands like Khan has, jumped at the chance to take his place. To many, Judah poses an even greater danger than Bradley would have.

Khan knows that. So too does trainer Freddie Roach. That's why Khan hunkered down for a full 10-week training camp at Roach's Wild Card Boxing Club in Hollywood, Calif.

This time there were no jaunts halfway around the world in the middle of training camp.

"We had a great camp, 10 weeks with no traveling, no jet lag," Roach said at Thursday's heavily attended final news conference.

The same could not be said for previous training camps. Before Khan's rousing December victory, also at Mandalay Bay, against powerful Marcos Maidana -- a fight the Boxing Writers Association of America voted the 2010 fight of the year -- Khan traveled to the Philippines, where Roach needed to be because he was simultaneously training Khan and pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao.

[h4]Rafael's boxing blog[/h4]
rafael_dan_m.jpg
Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.

When you're Pacquiao, you get to train where you want to and everyone else follows. That meant if Khan wanted Roach, he had to go along. After weeks in the Philippines, they all returned to Hollywood for several weeks before Khan followed them to the fight site in suburban Dallas, where he continued training.

Before Khan (25-1, 17 KOs) fought Paulie Malignaggi in May 2010, there was also a heavy dose of travel in the midst of the training camp. Khan came from England but wound up training in Vancouver because of visa issues that prevented him from staying in the United States. When they were eventually resolved, he went briefly to Hollywood and then to New York for the fight.

Finally, though, there has been peace in preparation for Judah (41-6, 28 KOs).

"This camp has been very smooth," Khan said. "We arrived in Los Angeles before the fight with Zab Judah was officially announced because we knew that the July 23 date was set in stone for my fight. When Timothy Bradley declined our last offer, we made a deal with Judah and we've been focusing on him since early June.

"Obviously, not traveling to the Philippines, Dallas or even Vancouver has made this an easier camp. There's obviously less distractions this time, although going to the Philippines to train with Manny was a terrific experience. Any chance to train with one of the best fighters in the world is always an opportunity worth taking."

And now Khan finds himself in Las Vegas fighting for the second time in arguably the most significant fight of his career. Judah, 33, a three-time 140-pound titlist and former undisputed welterweight champion, is the biggest name Khan will have faced.

It's exactly where Khan wants to be. When he was a prospect on the rise best-known for winning a 2004 Olympic silver medal for Britain, he came to Las Vegas as a spectator for the Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Oscar De La Hoya megafight in May 2007.

Khan sat in the stands during the weigh-in with no special floor access and went unnoticed by almost everyone. But he told a reporter how one day he hoped to be a world champion and fight in a Las Vegas main event.

"I had ambition to fight in Vegas one day, to top the bill," Khan, 24, recalled Thursday. "A lot of U.K. fighters come here late in their careers, but I didn't want to be one of them. I wanted to come to America early in my career and build my name up. What made me want to fight here more was training at the Wild Card gym. Spending more time in America in my training camps made me realize, wow, the boxing world is totally different in America."

Khan has been training in the United States since turning to Roach in the wake of his only loss, a first-round knockout shocker to Breidis Prescott at lightweight in 2008. That loss gave Khan the reputation for having a weak chin, an assertion Roach does not buy.

"At 135, he didn't take that good of a punch because he was killing himself making the weight," Roach said. "He moved to 140 and he was much more durable, much more sturdy and handled the punches being thrown at him a lot better."

That is why Khan and Roach say he is destined for the 147-pound welterweight division in the not-too-distant future.

"I think the same at 147, he'll have a little more strength," Roach said. "If [another] unification fight doesn't come next, we'll probably go to 147 next."

Said Khan, "If we get through Saturday, maybe one more fight at 140 pounds if the Bradley fight ever happens. If not, then we have no one left to beat in the 140-pound division and maybe we have to move up to 147 pounds. I have the best strength and conditioner in Alex Ariza, who I know can get me in the best shape and get me muscular and stronger."

Ariza is back with Khan after they reconciled following a brief falling out that had Khan without his services for his April win against Paul McCloskey.

At welterweight, there are big names. Pacquiao is there, of course, but they have grown close training and sparring together. Plus Roach trains them both. They say that fight is not an option. But there is also Mayweather or his Sept. 17 opponent, titlist Victor Ortiz.

"Amir fought Ortiz in the amateurs and beat him, knocked him out in two," Roach said. "As far as Mayweather, I think he's a perfect opponent for us. I think sizewise, moneywise, it's a good fight for us. But we gotta see who wins that fight between him and Victor."

[h4]Tweet, tweet[/h4]
twitter-logo_sm.gif
Don't miss a moment of the latest boxing coverage from around the world. Follow us on Twitter and stay informed. Join »

Said Khan, "I think everyone knows I've got a big task in front of me. I've got Zab Judah. My goals are to take the best out there and the likes of Floyd Mayweather one day. At the moment, I want to take things a step at a time.

"I'll probably move up to 147 for bigger challenges. I think it's a great time for me to move up to different divisions and fight these big names. There's a lot of big names out there and that's the reason I cannot afford to get beat. I want to get through this fight and then go to the bigger fights."

Khan has even suggested that he could move all the way to the 154-pound junior middleweight division someday.

"I've got the height to do that," said Khan, who is 5-foot-10. "I know fighters who are the same height as me who are middleweights and super middleweights. So I think maybe one day that could be a weight toward the end of my career."

Said Roach, "154 right now isn't really in my thoughts. I think 147 will be the right division for him. With success there, 154 could come later on in life. But that's a long way off."

Especially with important 140-pound business to attend to first on Saturday.

Spoiler [+]
At 24, Amir Khan is a fighter on the rise. The Englishman has been tabbed for star potential since his silver medal run at the 2004 Olympics, and now the former ESPN.com prospect of the year is beginning to realize his potential.

At 33, Zab Judah is an elder statesman. He has been to the top, been on the bottom and risen again. He is a three-time junior welterweight titlist and the former undisputed welterweight champion.

When Khan and Judah meet to unify their junior welterweight titles Saturday night (HBO, 10 ET) at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Judah plans to conduct a teaching lesson for his younger, less experienced opponent.

rafael_dan_m.jpg
Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.

"One thing about it, we're definitely going to take him to school," said Judah, who will be making the first defense of the vacant belt he won in March when he survived a third-round knockdown to stop South Africa's Kaizer Mabuza in the seventh round. "I think after Saturday night, he'll figure out that [promoter] Golden Boy and his trainer, Freddie Roach, set him up as a pawn. For people that play chess, they know what that is. They set him up for a pawn and put him in a position that he shouldn't have been in.

"And yet, I think he's a great fighter. I think that it's a little premature, before his time. Years down the line, he'll have an opportunity to tell other fighters about the experience he learned in 2011 on July 23."

Main Events CEO Kathy Duva, who promoted Judah from his 1996 pro debut through 2001 before they reunited last summer, believes Judah -- a significant underdog -- is being wrongly overlooked.

"Zab is being underestimated," Duva said. "Everybody keeps talking about Zab being old, but he's not old and I don't know why people think he is. If you look at the top 10 best pound-for-pound fighters in the world, you'll find that the vast majority of them are older than Zab. He's experienced. He started professional boxing at an age much younger [18] than most professional fighters. There's nothing wrong with experience.

"If you look at the history of boxing, generally the young, talented fighters have run into a problem the first time they meet up with an experienced fighter in his prime. That's the real test. Lots of guys can come up and win titles. There are lots of titles that are available. But when you get in that first fight against that really experienced fighter, that's the real test. That's the test that [Lucas] Matthysse was not able to pass, and now Kahn is going to have to deal with the same thing. That's why we like this fight, that's why we like Amir Kahn as an opponent for Zab, because we believe that Zab is going to take him to school."

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Isaac BrekkenAgainst Marcos Maidana, Amir Khan passed his stiffest test with flying colors in the 2010 fight of the year.

Khan (25-1, 17 KOs), making his fifth title defense, doesn't buy any of the talk that this fight is too soon for him. Khan, after all, survived a rugged battle with his best opponent so far, Marcos Maidana, in December -- a fight that was named the 2010 fight of the year by the Boxing Writers Association of America.

"I know we're ready for this fight," Khan said. "That's why we're taking this fight on. We committed to this fight as favorites. I'm going to go out and try to take [his title] away. I've been training very hard for this fight. And he can say what he wants and he'll see when the time comes. I know I'm more than ready for this fight, and I'm going to be prepared, and I know exactly what to do. He's capable, [but] I'll have answers for him."

Judah (41-6, 28 KOs) has had a lot of the answers in his recent fights. He's in the midst of a career renaissance after numerous ups and downs.

Judah went through a seven-fight stretch from early 2006 to mid-2008 in which he went 2-4 with a no-contest. During that time, he lost the welterweight title in a massive upset to Carlos Baldomir, lost to Floyd Mayweather Jr. and was knocked out by Miguel Cotto.

Judah realized that welterweight was not the right division for him. So he returned to 140 pounds last summer, reuniting with Main Events in the process. Since then, Judah has reeled off three consecutive wins in the weight class, a third-round knockout of Jose Armando Santa Cruz, a tight decision against Matthysse and the knockout of Mabuza.

In fact, although Judah has six defeats, he has lost only once at junior welterweight -- a second-round knockout in 2001 to Kostya Tszyu, who was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in June -- for the undisputed championship. A decade later, Judah is back near the top of the weight class preparing for another unification fight.

"A lot of things have been changed," said Judah, who credits his newfound devotion to Christianity for changing his career path. "I'm pretty pleased with Freddie and Amir Khan watching my old tapes, so they're learning something about the old Zab Judah. The new Zab Judah coming to the ring is a monster. He's 150 percent prepared for Amir Khan, and we're going to have a lot of fun come Saturday night."

But 10 years later?

"That's the work of God," said Judah, who has Hall of Famer Pernell Whitaker training him. "Just when a person counts you out and says that you're finished, never listen to that man. Never let man dictate your peace. This is one of the messages that we will be coming with on Saturday night. The Lord has the final saying of when a person's done and when a person starts."

Although Judah is a bit more mellow now than he was in his younger days, he can still be ornery and combative.

He is still stung over how the deal for the fight went down, which called for him to make 45 percent of the American revenue even though the bout is taking place in his country and he is also a titleholder. Khan refused to give up any of the revenue that will be generated in the United Kingdom, where the fight is on pay-per-view. Before Judah was offered the fight, titleholder Timothy Bradley Jr. turned down the fight even after Khan sweetened the deal by offering him 50 percent of the British money.

Judah hasn't forgotten that, so during last week's teleconference with boxing reporters from the United States and England, he gave folks a hard time, refusing to speak before Khan. He also refused to answer questions from the British scribes.

After answering questions from two American writers, a British reporter was called and asked Judah a question.

[h4]Tweet, tweet[/h4]
twitter-logo_sm.gif
Don't miss a moment of the latest boxing coverage from around the world. Follow us on Twitter and stay informed. Join »

At that point, Duva spoke up.

"I think I'm going to have to speak now, and I need to explain something," she said. "In our negotiations, we were told that Zab would not be entitled to any revenue from the U.K. And we felt that that was insulting, because we feel he is certainly half the equation here. That was what we were told we would have to live with.

"And so Zab took the fight with that understanding, that Amir would keep all the money that came from the U.K., even though they're both world champions and even though we've agreed on a split of the money. So no offense to the British press, but Zab will not be answering questions until the fight is over to the British."

Golden Boy's David Itskowitch chimed in, "I guess that means all you British media out there need to work on your American accents."

Asif Vali, Khan's manager, said he felt Judah was being disrespectful to the British writers and U.K. fans who wanted to hear what he thought about the fight.

"He means no disrespect to anyone," Duva said. "We feel he was disrespected in the negotiations, so this is something that we've decided has to be. We just cannot do anything to help. We were basically told that Khan was such a big star in the U.K., it didn't matter who he fought, and therefore, Zab was kind of insignificant there. So if that's the case, fine. And again, we'll be happy to have a press conference with the U.K. press the morning after the fight."

Judah, of course, is expecting to use that press conference to explain the lesson plan that the old teacher taught the youngster the night before.

Canelo/Gomez is on the Ortiz/PBF undercard, split-site.

Spoiler [+]
LAS VEGAS -- Junior welterweight titlist Amir Khan has an important and potentially very difficult fight in front of him, but that has not stopped him and his team from looking into their crystal ball and thinking about the future and a move up in weight.

[+] Enlarge
Scott Heavey/Getty ImagesZab Judah will be Amir Khan's toughest test to date.

First things first, though. Khan faces fellow titlist Zab Judah to unify 140-pound belts on Saturday night (HBO, 10 ET) at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in what could be an explosive fight.

Khan originally thought he would be facing another titleholder, Timothy Bradley Jr., but that was before Bradley surprisingly declined the fight he had called out for, even after being offered everything he could have possibly wanted -- a career-high payday (that could have reached about $1.8 million) and a 50-50 deal.

Judah, with speed and power in both hands like Khan has, jumped at the chance to take his place. To many, Judah poses an even greater danger than Bradley would have.

Khan knows that. So too does trainer Freddie Roach. That's why Khan hunkered down for a full 10-week training camp at Roach's Wild Card Boxing Club in Hollywood, Calif.

This time there were no jaunts halfway around the world in the middle of training camp.

"We had a great camp, 10 weeks with no traveling, no jet lag," Roach said at Thursday's heavily attended final news conference.

The same could not be said for previous training camps. Before Khan's rousing December victory, also at Mandalay Bay, against powerful Marcos Maidana -- a fight the Boxing Writers Association of America voted the 2010 fight of the year -- Khan traveled to the Philippines, where Roach needed to be because he was simultaneously training Khan and pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao.

rafael_dan_m.jpg

When you're Pacquiao, you get to train where you want to and everyone else follows. That meant if Khan wanted Roach, he had to go along. After weeks in the Philippines, they all returned to Hollywood for several weeks before Khan followed them to the fight site in suburban Dallas, where he continued training.

Before Khan (25-1, 17 KOs) fought Paulie Malignaggi in May 2010, there was also a heavy dose of travel in the midst of the training camp. Khan came from England but wound up training in Vancouver because of visa issues that prevented him from staying in the United States. When they were eventually resolved, he went briefly to Hollywood and then to New York for the fight.

Finally, though, there has been peace in preparation for Judah (41-6, 28 KOs).

"This camp has been very smooth," Khan said. "We arrived in Los Angeles before the fight with Zab Judah was officially announced because we knew that the July 23 date was set in stone for my fight. When Timothy Bradley declined our last offer, we made a deal with Judah and we've been focusing on him since early June.

"Obviously, not traveling to the Philippines, Dallas or even Vancouver has made this an easier camp. There's obviously less distractions this time, although going to the Philippines to train with Manny was a terrific experience. Any chance to train with one of the best fighters in the world is always an opportunity worth taking."

And now Khan finds himself in Las Vegas fighting for the second time in arguably the most significant fight of his career. Judah, 33, a three-time 140-pound titlist and former undisputed welterweight champion, is the biggest name Khan will have faced.

It's exactly where Khan wants to be. When he was a prospect on the rise best-known for winning a 2004 Olympic silver medal for Britain, he came to Las Vegas as a spectator for the Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Oscar De La Hoya megafight in May 2007.

Khan sat in the stands during the weigh-in with no special floor access and went unnoticed by almost everyone. But he told a reporter how one day he hoped to be a world champion and fight in a Las Vegas main event.

"I had ambition to fight in Vegas one day, to top the bill," Khan, 24, recalled Thursday. "A lot of U.K. fighters come here late in their careers, but I didn't want to be one of them. I wanted to come to America early in my career and build my name up. What made me want to fight here more was training at the Wild Card gym. Spending more time in America in my training camps made me realize, wow, the boxing world is totally different in America."

Khan has been training in the United States since turning to Roach in the wake of his only loss, a first-round knockout shocker to Breidis Prescott at lightweight in 2008. That loss gave Khan the reputation for having a weak chin, an assertion Roach does not buy.

"At 135, he didn't take that good of a punch because he was killing himself making the weight," Roach said. "He moved to 140 and he was much more durable, much more sturdy and handled the punches being thrown at him a lot better."

That is why Khan and Roach say he is destined for the 147-pound welterweight division in the not-too-distant future.

"I think the same at 147, he'll have a little more strength," Roach said. "If [another] unification fight doesn't come next, we'll probably go to 147 next."

Said Khan, "If we get through Saturday, maybe one more fight at 140 pounds if the Bradley fight ever happens. If not, then we have no one left to beat in the 140-pound division and maybe we have to move up to 147 pounds. I have the best strength and conditioner in Alex Ariza, who I know can get me in the best shape and get me muscular and stronger."

Ariza is back with Khan after they reconciled following a brief falling out that had Khan without his services for his April win against Paul McCloskey.

At welterweight, there are big names. Pacquiao is there, of course, but they have grown close training and sparring together. Plus Roach trains them both. They say that fight is not an option. But there is also Mayweather or his Sept. 17 opponent, titlist Victor Ortiz.

"Amir fought Ortiz in the amateurs and beat him, knocked him out in two," Roach said. "As far as Mayweather, I think he's a perfect opponent for us. I think sizewise, moneywise, it's a good fight for us. But we gotta see who wins that fight between him and Victor."

[h4]Tweet, tweet[/h4]
twitter-logo_sm.gif

Said Khan, "I think everyone knows I've got a big task in front of me. I've got Zab Judah. My goals are to take the best out there and the likes of Floyd Mayweather one day. At the moment, I want to take things a step at a time.

"I'll probably move up to 147 for bigger challenges. I think it's a great time for me to move up to different divisions and fight these big names. There's a lot of big names out there and that's the reason I cannot afford to get beat. I want to get through this fight and then go to the bigger fights."

Khan has even suggested that he could move all the way to the 154-pound junior middleweight division someday.

"I've got the height to do that," said Khan, who is 5-foot-10. "I know fighters who are the same height as me who are middleweights and super middleweights. So I think maybe one day that could be a weight toward the end of my career."

Said Roach, "154 right now isn't really in my thoughts. I think 147 will be the right division for him. With success there, 154 could come later on in life. But that's a long way off."

Especially with important 140-pound business to attend to first on Saturday.

Spoiler [+]
At 24, Amir Khan is a fighter on the rise. The Englishman has been tabbed for star potential since his silver medal run at the 2004 Olympics, and now the former ESPN.com prospect of the year is beginning to realize his potential.

At 33, Zab Judah is an elder statesman. He has been to the top, been on the bottom and risen again. He is a three-time junior welterweight titlist and the former undisputed welterweight champion.

When Khan and Judah meet to unify their junior welterweight titles Saturday night (HBO, 10 ET) at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Judah plans to conduct a teaching lesson for his younger, less experienced opponent.

rafael_dan_m.jpg

"One thing about it, we're definitely going to take him to school," said Judah, who will be making the first defense of the vacant belt he won in March when he survived a third-round knockdown to stop South Africa's Kaizer Mabuza in the seventh round. "I think after Saturday night, he'll figure out that [promoter] Golden Boy and his trainer, Freddie Roach, set him up as a pawn. For people that play chess, they know what that is. They set him up for a pawn and put him in a position that he shouldn't have been in.

"And yet, I think he's a great fighter. I think that it's a little premature, before his time. Years down the line, he'll have an opportunity to tell other fighters about the experience he learned in 2011 on July 23."

Main Events CEO Kathy Duva, who promoted Judah from his 1996 pro debut through 2001 before they reunited last summer, believes Judah -- a significant underdog -- is being wrongly overlooked.

"Zab is being underestimated," Duva said. "Everybody keeps talking about Zab being old, but he's not old and I don't know why people think he is. If you look at the top 10 best pound-for-pound fighters in the world, you'll find that the vast majority of them are older than Zab. He's experienced. He started professional boxing at an age much younger [18] than most professional fighters. There's nothing wrong with experience.

"If you look at the history of boxing, generally the young, talented fighters have run into a problem the first time they meet up with an experienced fighter in his prime. That's the real test. Lots of guys can come up and win titles. There are lots of titles that are available. But when you get in that first fight against that really experienced fighter, that's the real test. That's the test that [Lucas] Matthysse was not able to pass, and now Kahn is going to have to deal with the same thing. That's why we like this fight, that's why we like Amir Kahn as an opponent for Zab, because we believe that Zab is going to take him to school."

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Isaac BrekkenAgainst Marcos Maidana, Amir Khan passed his stiffest test with flying colors in the 2010 fight of the year.

Khan (25-1, 17 KOs), making his fifth title defense, doesn't buy any of the talk that this fight is too soon for him. Khan, after all, survived a rugged battle with his best opponent so far, Marcos Maidana, in December -- a fight that was named the 2010 fight of the year by the Boxing Writers Association of America.

"I know we're ready for this fight," Khan said. "That's why we're taking this fight on. We committed to this fight as favorites. I'm going to go out and try to take [his title] away. I've been training very hard for this fight. And he can say what he wants and he'll see when the time comes. I know I'm more than ready for this fight, and I'm going to be prepared, and I know exactly what to do. He's capable, [but] I'll have answers for him."

Judah (41-6, 28 KOs) has had a lot of the answers in his recent fights. He's in the midst of a career renaissance after numerous ups and downs.

Judah went through a seven-fight stretch from early 2006 to mid-2008 in which he went 2-4 with a no-contest. During that time, he lost the welterweight title in a massive upset to Carlos Baldomir, lost to Floyd Mayweather Jr. and was knocked out by Miguel Cotto.

Judah realized that welterweight was not the right division for him. So he returned to 140 pounds last summer, reuniting with Main Events in the process. Since then, Judah has reeled off three consecutive wins in the weight class, a third-round knockout of Jose Armando Santa Cruz, a tight decision against Matthysse and the knockout of Mabuza.

In fact, although Judah has six defeats, he has lost only once at junior welterweight -- a second-round knockout in 2001 to Kostya Tszyu, who was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in June -- for the undisputed championship. A decade later, Judah is back near the top of the weight class preparing for another unification fight.

"A lot of things have been changed," said Judah, who credits his newfound devotion to Christianity for changing his career path. "I'm pretty pleased with Freddie and Amir Khan watching my old tapes, so they're learning something about the old Zab Judah. The new Zab Judah coming to the ring is a monster. He's 150 percent prepared for Amir Khan, and we're going to have a lot of fun come Saturday night."

But 10 years later?

"That's the work of God," said Judah, who has Hall of Famer Pernell Whitaker training him. "Just when a person counts you out and says that you're finished, never listen to that man. Never let man dictate your peace. This is one of the messages that we will be coming with on Saturday night. The Lord has the final saying of when a person's done and when a person starts."

Although Judah is a bit more mellow now than he was in his younger days, he can still be ornery and combative.

He is still stung over how the deal for the fight went down, which called for him to make 45 percent of the American revenue even though the bout is taking place in his country and he is also a titleholder. Khan refused to give up any of the revenue that will be generated in the United Kingdom, where the fight is on pay-per-view. Before Judah was offered the fight, titleholder Timothy Bradley Jr. turned down the fight even after Khan sweetened the deal by offering him 50 percent of the British money.

Judah hasn't forgotten that, so during last week's teleconference with boxing reporters from the United States and England, he gave folks a hard time, refusing to speak before Khan. He also refused to answer questions from the British scribes.

After answering questions from two American writers, a British reporter was called and asked Judah a question.

[h4]Tweet, tweet[/h4]
twitter-logo_sm.gif

At that point, Duva spoke up.

"I think I'm going to have to speak now, and I need to explain something," she said. "In our negotiations, we were told that Zab would not be entitled to any revenue from the U.K. And we felt that that was insulting, because we feel he is certainly half the equation here. That was what we were told we would have to live with.

"And so Zab took the fight with that understanding, that Amir would keep all the money that came from the U.K., even though they're both world champions and even though we've agreed on a split of the money. So no offense to the British press, but Zab will not be answering questions until the fight is over to the British."

Golden Boy's David Itskowitch chimed in, "I guess that means all you British media out there need to work on your American accents."

Asif Vali, Khan's manager, said he felt Judah was being disrespectful to the British writers and U.K. fans who wanted to hear what he thought about the fight.

"He means no disrespect to anyone," Duva said. "We feel he was disrespected in the negotiations, so this is something that we've decided has to be. We just cannot do anything to help. We were basically told that Khan was such a big star in the U.K., it didn't matter who he fought, and therefore, Zab was kind of insignificant there. So if that's the case, fine. And again, we'll be happy to have a press conference with the U.K. press the morning after the fight."

Judah, of course, is expecting to use that press conference to explain the lesson plan that the old teacher taught the youngster the night before.

Canelo/Gomez is on the Ortiz/PBF undercard, split-site.

Ortiz will quit.......Yes he whopped Berto but Berto just couldnt let his hands go enough. Floyd is going to use Ortiz head as a punching bag and Floyds underrated body punching is also going to shine in this fight.

BTW does anyone on here box ?

Ortiz will quit.......Yes he whopped Berto but Berto just couldnt let his hands go enough. Floyd is going to use Ortiz head as a punching bag and Floyds underrated body punching is also going to shine in this fight.

Originally Posted by jlm83jays

Right chea. I was gonna say I don't see why people so hyped about Mayweather's workouts for, he ain't even going that hard. He ain't doing anything alot of people that box can't do, but the focus mitts can be straight up freestyle throughout so that's somewhat impressive, and Roger is helping Floyd by slapping his gloves with his mitts, I'm sure his workouts are better off camera tho.

Originally Posted by jlm83jays

Right chea. I was gonna say I don't see why people so hyped about Mayweather's workouts for, he ain't even going that hard. He ain't doing anything alot of people that box can't do, but the focus mitts can be straight up freestyle throughout so that's somewhat impressive, and Roger is helping Floyd by slapping his gloves with his mitts, I'm sure his workouts are better off camera tho.

Back
Top Bottom