2010 Official Boxing Thread: Soto/Antillon, 2010 Fight of the Year.

Originally Posted by ShaunHillFTW49

Margarito to KO manny Nov 13th

Na.

Mexicutioner bout to do work in Mexico
pimp.gif

What a mismatch that Manny vs Margarito fight is going to be...
The only way I don't see Pac winning is if fighting at 154 proves to be too much for him...

Something I found in a old Espn chat with Roach...
[h6]alun white mountain (canada)[/h6]

why bob arum is considering margarito to fight manny pacquiao? manny will not gain anything and its just doesn't make sense. who is margarito anyway?

Freddie Roach

(11:25 AM)

I agree! 

Promoters need to cut out these BS PPV fights. They stagnating the sport with that.

They need to start carrying fights on ABC/NBC again.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

-PBF should be in jail for what he did to Gatti and Diego

- Just finished watching what Floyd did to Bruseles
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
. One of the best displays of boxing you will ever see. His talent level mixed with his overly strategic matchmaking is wild frustrating. He could really go down as top 5 ever if he took care of everything thats in front of him right now. People say that hes going downhill but I see him looking stronger and better at infighting than he was in the past. You can get old overnight ins boxing but I think he is in his peak form right now, look what he did to Shane and JMM. If he was willing to take the hard hits and his extreme training that would come with Cotto, Pac, Paul fights..there would be no denying him.

Originally Posted by abeautifulhaze

- Just finished watching what Floyd did to Bruseles
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
. One of the best displays of boxing you will ever see. His talent level mixed with his overly strategic matchmaking is wild frustrating. He could really go down as top 5 ever if he took care of everything thats in front of him right now. People say that hes going downhill but I see him looking stronger and better at infighting than he was in the past. You can get old overnight ins boxing but I think he is in his peak form right now, look what he did to Shane and JMM. If he was willing to take the hard hits and his extreme training that would come with Cotto, Pac, Paul fights..there would be no denying him.

laugh.gif

Come on man, we've discussed this before....

Aight CC...dude is unquestionably one of the most physically talented fighters in history, his gene pool is saturated with boxing talent, twitch reflexes like none other.

His boxing skills also ranks amongst the best ever. Defensively he's untouchable, offensively he counters on the move, sharpshoots, fight from any position yo can place a boxer in, he can stand flat footed and land 46% of his power shots against HoF opponents (
sick.gif
), unbelievable accuracy, blazing speed, perfectly mixes it up with body and head shots. People want him to throw more combos but its his accurate and balanced style that allows him to get off first and get back in defensive position to dominate fights. 

He is also one of the smartest fighters ever. You can actually see him thinking in the ring on the fly...he has been boxing so long that he has literally seen everything that anyone can offer in the ring and by the fourth round he has already figured out his opponents style, game plan, strengths and weaknesses. They are pawns left trying to fight his fight but finding themselves coming up short to his umnatched physical skills. His mind is on another level in there. To out think a DLH, JMM and Mosley and make it look easy..that shows you how high his boxing IQ is.

If he were to beat Manny, Miguel and Paul as convincingly as he has beat everyone else and retire 44 and 0...how can you not put him in that rarefied top 10 discussion?

People watch boxing for the drama and the surprises but Floyd is so good that he can drain that element right out of a fight. A lot of boxing fans actually want him to turn it down a level and be more vulnerable in order to satisfy their lust for blood. While he is still active, his talent and skill level is held against him to a certain degree. i don't see what his weakness are as a boxer and with those 3 fighters under his belt, I don't see what more he could do to stake his claim amongst the all time greats.

abeautifulhaze wrote:
If he were to beat Manny, Miguel and Paul as convincingly as he has beat everyone else and retire 44 and 0...how can you not put him in that rarefied top 10 discussion?

People watch boxing for the drama and the surprises but Floyd is so good that he can drain that element right out of a fight. A lot of boxing fans actually want him to turn it down a level and be more vulnerable in order to satisfy their lust for blood. While he is still active, his talent and skill level is held against him to a certain degree. i don't see what his weakness are as a boxer and with those 3 fighters under his belt, I don't see what more he could do to stake his claim amongst the all time greats.

The top 10 have a dozen Cotto's and William's type fighters on their resumes,  and at least a few of Pacquiao's quality.

His problem is the era he's in (not blaming him, what can ya do?)
If this was the 80's, we never would have saw him move up to WW,  hell even the late 90's to early 00's either (Prime DLH, Trinidad, Quartley,Mosley Forest, Mayorga, etc...)

He is feasting upon a lackluster division (in the context of WW history, right now is pretty low).
I think an intelligent pressure fighter, with a good chin, is the key to beating Mayweather.
Chavez and Duran stick out to me, and to a lesser extent Pryor's wild style at 140.
When Floyd took on Castillo the first time it was probably the closest match in his entire career and JLC is not even half the fighter Chavez was.

I think the highest he could be put at is #20, MAYBE 17-19.
No slight to Mayweather, he has the ability, but the resume is just not there.....

Oh, I wanted to ask you:What do you think of Benetiz?

Sidenote: you not spitting that knowledge anymore on General?
Haven't seen you make a thread in a couple of months now...

Originally Posted by CaponeCartels

abeautifulhaze wrote:

The top 10 have a dozen Cotto's and William's type fighters on their resumes,  and at least a few of Pacquiao's quality.

His problem is the era he's in (not blaming him, what can ya do?)
If this was the 80's, we never would have saw him move up to WW,  hell even the late 90's to early 00's either (Prime DLH, Trinidad, Quartley,Mosley Forest, Mayorga, etc...)

He is feasting upon a lackluster division (in the context of WW history, right now is pretty low).
I think an intelligent pressure fighter, with a good chin, is the key to beating Mayweather.
Chavez and Duran stick out to me, and to a lesser extent Pryor's wild style at 140.
When Floyd took on Castillo the first time it was probably the closest match in his entire career and JLC is not even half the fighter Chavez was.

I think the highest he could be put at is #20, MAYBE 17-19.
No slight to Mayweather, he has the ability, but the resume is just not there.....

Oh, I wanted to ask you:What do you think of Benetiz?

Sidenote: you not spitting that knowledge anymore on General?
Haven't seen you make a thread in a couple of months now...

You know what, I definitely take a step back from top 5 and perhaps top 10 but I would have him in my top 15 definitely.

Floyd would beat a prime DLH, Mosley or Quartey...and Paul Williams is better than Vernon (R.I.P.) and Mayorga. DLH and Quartey's jabs would give him problems for sure but he would adjust and just like Oscar faded in the stretch against Shane, Tito and Floyd in their recent fight, he would do the same in his prime. I would have loved to see him and Shane battle it out in their primes but Shane's lack of a jab would cause him to lose a close decision imo. Shane would flurry, Floyd would shoulder roll and counter with the right cross/uppercut from the pocket. He's potshot, move and work the body, only sporadically exchanging calculated blows with Shane. I think Floyd is a better fighter than all of those fighters in their primes.

A resume of one sided victories over Paul Williams, Manny Pacquiao, Miguel Cotto, Shane Mosley, Juan Manuel Marquez, Oscar De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton, Zab Judah, Arturo Gatti, Jose Luis Castillo, Diego Corrales & Genaro Hernandez would be pretty impressive IMO.

Benitez is one of my sports heroes. Being a Virgo and growing up in the Bx, like myself, he was always a fighter that I revered. Great defensive fighter with the heart of a lion. The old heads in my gym around my way talk about him like I do Floyd
laugh.gif

What does your top 20 look like?

I fell back for a minute but if theres a topic that I really want to discuss, i'll go back in. Most people just come to NT for the lulz and entertainment and i'm not trying to stop the flow.

Originally Posted by abeautifulhaze

You know what, I definitely take a step back from top 5 and perhaps top 10 but I would have him in my top 15 definitely.

Floyd would beat a prime DLH, Mosley or Quartey...and Paul Williams is better than Vernon (R.I.P.) and Mayorga. DLH and Quartey's jabs would give him problems for sure but he would adjust and just like Oscar faded in the stretch against Shane, Tito and Floyd in their recent fight, he would do the same in his prime. I would have loved to see him and Shane battle it out in their primes but Shane's lack of a jab would cause him to lose a close decision imo. Shane would flurry, Floyd would shoulder roll and counter with the right cross/uppercut from the pocket. He's potshot, move and work the body, only sporadically exchanging calculated blows with Shane. I think Floyd is a better fighter than all of those fighters in their primes.

A resume of one sided victories over Paul Williams, Manny Pacquiao, Miguel Cotto, Shane Mosley, Juan Manuel Marquez, Oscar De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton, Zab Judah, Arturo Gatti, Jose Luis Castillo, Diego Corrales & Genaro Hernandez would be pretty impressive IMO.

Benitez is one of my sports heroes. Being a Virgo and growing up in the Bx, like myself, he was always a fighter that I revered. Great defensive fighter with the heart of a lion. The old heads in my gym around my way talk about him like I do Floyd
laugh.gif

What does your top 20 look like?

Top 20 would be feasible, but I don't think he can do it, at least not at this stage of his career.

I think a prime DLH would give Floyd alot more hell than Castillo did.... 55/45 in favor of Oscar.
Mosley.... I'd favor Floyd but I just keep replaying that second round in my head and a younger and fresher Mosley wouldn't have totally gassed like this one did.... 60/40 in favor of Floyd..
Vernon would have knocked Williams out imo. an equally tall fighter, great jab,  faster hands, and some good power?
Very wrong for Williams and his non-existent defense.
Forest's right hand would be hitting Williams all night long, and although Williams has some great stamina, Vernon wasn't a slouch in that dept either.

Tito would most likely get outboxed, but his power was not a joke, and if he get's Floyd in trouble like Mosley did
sick.gif

60/40 in favor of Floyd.
And I'd favor Vernon to beat Floyd as well. (as stated with the reasons in the previous paragraph.)

Gatti and Corrales were never great fighters, although they did produce great fights (with Ward and Castillo respectively)
You know better than to mention Marquez man
laugh.gif

I won't criticize the rest of his wins (I feel like a hater and I'm not, just feel like Floyd gets overrated a bit, but I hope now you can
see why I just laugh when people say he can easily enter the top 10/15).

It's a hard road that only a few in boxing history have traveled.
ohwell.gif

Have you seen Benitez's fight with Duran?
and although Duran wasn't 100% in that fight, it was still a beautiful performance by Wilfred.
sick.gif
pimp.gif

IDK how my top 20 look like right now... haven't made a list for a long time...
I'll post it when I have time...

I fell back for a minute but if theres a topic that I really want to discuss, i'll go back in. Most people just come to NT for the lulz and entertainment and i'm not trying to stop the flow.

Always looked forward to your threads...
Made me go
eek.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif
everytime.

idk if this was posted, but did anyone see this interview with Iron Mike?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

you can tell his speech skills are starting to deteriorate.. i hate to say it but i think he'll be demented in a few years. all those blows are getting to his head.
smh.gif

frown.gif

Originally Posted by CAFinest23

Did dude just consider Mayorga a top welterweight in the early 2000's? I am done!

Have you seen prime Mayorga?

He wasn't the best but I'd bet on him to beat Berto, Cotto, Cintron and Margarito.
glasses.gif

Originally Posted by CaponeCartels

Originally Posted by CAFinest23

Did dude just consider Mayorga a top welterweight in the early 2000's? I am done!

Have you seen prime Mayorga?

He wasn't the best but I'd bet on him to beat Berto, Cotto, Cintron and Margarito.
glasses.gif

LOL

cotto? he would kill dude

Mayorga was always wild and if you could always out box him.

LOL

cotto? he would kill dude

Mayorga was always wild and if you could always out box him.
Cotto ain't hurting Mayorga, although Mayorga can definitely hurt Cotto.
I expect to see Ricardo hurting him around the 5th and taking him out before 10.

there must be a different mayorga

because the one i know would throw bombs for the 1st half of the fight then get tired and start to get his !#@ beat.

cotto would beat the dog **$$ out of him

there must be a different mayorga

because the one i know would throw bombs for the 1st half of the fight then get tired and start to get his !#@ beat.

cotto would beat the dog **$$ out of him
That sounds oddly like Cotto to me...

Wow.

Thats the first time I have hear Mike slur his words like that.

He seems more sharp and upbeat than he has been in a while but the brain damage is definitely setting in.
tired.gif

WBO welterweight champion Manny Pacquiao will request a catch-weight of 150-pounds when he moves up to the junior middleweight division to challenge Antonio Margarito for the vacant WBC title on November 13.

Pacquiao's attorney Franklin Gacal told the Manila Bulletin a catch-weight of "150-pounds" will be requested by the Filipino champion. The weight is four pounds below Margarito's current fighting weight and three pounds above Pacquiao' current fighting weight of 147. Pacquiao will be going for his eight divisional title.

Gacal says the catch-weight request is fair for the 5'11 Margarito, telling the paper - “Margarito is big and tall even at super welter.

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

If you're talking about Pac being a joke I don't get why. He's going up in weight again what more do you want from him?

enough with this catch weight crap.

I think I'm more upset that Margarito has fought a tomato can and all of a sudden in ranked #2 by the WBC and will be fighting for a belt in only his 2nd fight.

Back
Top Bottom